Engine Numbers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine Numbers

I have an insurance card from the early 1950's that shows the make, model & engine number of my Dad's car. It says Studebaker, Coupe, 814799. He died in 1954 and I would like to find out if this car is still in service. My parents drove it on their honeymoon and I'm just curious about the car. Is the engine number what was used instead of a vin?

California used the engine number back in the early 50"s for the ID number.try and give more info if you can year of car ect.
    Candbstudebakers
    Castro Valley,
    California

Comment

Originally posted by BonnieGA View Post
      I have an insurance card from the early 1950's that shows the make, model & engine number of my Dad's car. It says Studebaker, Coupe, 814799. He died in 1954 and I would like to find out if this car is still in service. My parents drove it on their honeymoon and I'm just curious about the car. Is the engine number what was used instead of a vin?
      In the 1950s, New York State also used the stamped engine number (rather than the serial number) for the vehicle identification number (VIN).
      Most by now have had their VIN changed over on titles/registrations to the car's serial number. If you can find something with the serial number, that would be a big help in locating the car. We could also tell you the model year and series from the S/N.
      What state are you referring to and where was the last known location of the car?
      Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Thank you for the reply. I can only find an insurance card with the engine number. We lived in NC at the time he bought the car. I will keep searching. Perhaps I will get lucky.

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
          If you can find something with the serial number, that would be a big help in locating the car. We could also tell you the model year and series from the S/N.
          What state are you referring to and where was the last known location of the car?
          Gary,
          Do you know how to find if a car is still registered if you have the serial number?

Thanks,
          Nick

Comment

The engine number tells us it is a 1951 Champion that was built in the South Bend, IN plant. The word 'coupe' on the card tells us it is a 2 door coupe model, probably one with windows all the way around the back. Less likely, it could be a business coupe with a big shelf where the back seat would be, and no side windows in the rear quarters.
            Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

Originally posted by 61Lark View Post
              Gary,
              Do you know how to find if a car is still registered if you have the serial number?

Thanks,
              Nick
              No! I was just thinking that most people now know their car and most states register cars by S/N for the VIN. Also, many engines have been changed in cars over the years. I thought that a request by S/N would have a better chance of positive results.
              Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Working...
              X