Brooks Stevens question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brooks Stevens question

We hear a lot about the designers that worked for Loewy and how he was an idea man, but usually not the actual designer. I'm sure that Stevens was much more hands on, but we never hear about anyone else working on his designs but him. Does anyone know any names of any designers that might have worked for Stevens on the GT hawk or other projects for Studebaker? Is anyone left? I think I remember he has a son who took over the business, but I doubt he was old enough to be working for Stevens in the early 60's. Maybe I'm wrong.
    "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Wow. The silence is deafening.
    "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

Wow. The silence is deafening.

Comment

I am sure Stevens had people working for him, but I have never heard of them. Joe Parsons went through the files at the Stevens Design business and copied a lot of stuff concerning Studebaker, so he might know. I have read what Stevens wrote about his work at Willys after the war. He was sort of a one man show then, but I don't know about when he did designs for Studebaker.

Leonard Shepherd, editor, The Commanding Leader, Central Virginia Chapter, http://centralvirginiachapter.org/

Comment

I am sure Stevens had people working for him, but I have never heard of them. Joe Parsons went through the files at the Stevens Design business and copied a lot of stuff concerning Studebaker, so he might know. I have read what Stevens wrote about his work at Willys after the war. He was sort of a one man show then, but I don't know about when he did designs for Studebaker.

Leonard Shepherd, editor, The Commanding Leader, Central Virginia Chapter, http://centralvirginiachapter.org/

Comment

[quote]Originally posted by Scott

We hear a lot about the designers that worked for Loewy and how he was an idea man, but usually not the actual designer. I'm sure that Stevens was much more hands on, but we never hear about anyone else working on his designs but him. Does anyone know any names of any designers that might have worked for Stevens on the GT hawk or other projects for Studebaker?

If I remember right, there was an associate by the name of 'Kelly' that did the work on the G.T. Hawk redesign for 1962. I heard this at a seminar at the 1988 International Meet in South Bend.

Craig

Comment

[quote]Originally posted by Scott

We hear a lot about the designers that worked for Loewy and how he was an idea man, but usually not the actual designer. I'm sure that Stevens was much more hands on, but we never hear about anyone else working on his designs but him. Does anyone know any names of any designers that might have worked for Stevens on the GT hawk or other projects for Studebaker?

If I remember right, there was an associate by the name of 'Kelly' that did the work on the G.T. Hawk redesign for 1962. I heard this at a seminar at the 1988 International Meet in South Bend.

Craig

Comment

The first Larks from Stevens (1962 models) had input/cooperation from Randy Faurot. Stevens sort of replaced Faurot as head of Studebaker styling. Faurot's studio was dominated by engineers. The Gran Turismo was Stevens' second project. The Gran Turismo (Hawk Monaco) came out of Milwaukee. Then for the 1963 model year, there was an all new greenhouse on the sedans, vanity, sliding roof Wagonaire. Stevens had $7.5 million to facelift the '64 "Lark" and Hawk. Stevens is also responsible for the post-1964 models that were never built, like the Sceptre. Brooks Stevens did a lot of design work for Studebaker, starting in 1961. I have talked with Brooks, heard a presentation by him and read various things. I never recall him mentioning his design team, even though there must have been one. Bob Bourke usually gave some credit to his design team, modelers, etc.

Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

1959 DeLuxe pickup (restomod)
                Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

The first Larks from Stevens (1962 models) had input/cooperation from Randy Faurot. Stevens sort of replaced Faurot as head of Studebaker styling. Faurot's studio was dominated by engineers. The Gran Turismo was Stevens' second project. The Gran Turismo (Hawk Monaco) came out of Milwaukee. Then for the 1963 model year, there was an all new greenhouse on the sedans, vanity, sliding roof Wagonaire. Stevens had $7.5 million to facelift the '64 "Lark" and Hawk. Stevens is also responsible for the post-1964 models that were never built, like the Sceptre. Brooks Stevens did a lot of design work for Studebaker, starting in 1961. I have talked with Brooks, heard a presentation by him and read various things. I never recall him mentioning his design team, even though there must have been one. Bob Bourke usually gave some credit to his design team, modelers, etc.

Gary L.
                  Wappinger, NY

Gary L.
                  Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Well, if he had a design team he makes Loewy look like an amateur at keeping their names out of the limelight.

Comment

Well, if he had a design team he makes Loewy look like an amateur at keeping their names out of the limelight.

Comment

What a great question! Stevens was a "shoestring" stylist...that is, everything he did for Studebaker, Kaiser and Willys was done on a shoestring budget. I'm sure he had at least one or two designers on staff but like everyone else, I sure don't know who they were. One thing is for certain: the man was a master at doing a whole lot with a whole lot of nothing. I think it was said at the time that the $7.5 million Studebaker alloted him to do both the Lark and the Hawk facelifts for 1962 was the approximate amount spent to re-tool at door handle at GM. One of the biggest automotive surprises of the early 1960s was that there WAS a 1962 Hawk.

Comment

What a great question! Stevens was a "shoestring" stylist...that is, everything he did for Studebaker, Kaiser and Willys was done on a shoestring budget. I'm sure he had at least one or two designers on staff but like everyone else, I sure don't know who they were. One thing is for certain: the man was a master at doing a whole lot with a whole lot of nothing. I think it was said at the time that the $7.5 million Studebaker alloted him to do both the Lark and the Hawk facelifts for 1962 was the approximate amount spent to re-tool at door handle at GM. One of the biggest automotive surprises of the early 1960s was that there WAS a 1962 Hawk.

Comment

I believe that the referenced $7.5 million was for the '64 face lift. This was mostly "Lark" types with very little change to the Hawk.

Gary L.
                            Wappinger, NY

Gary L.
                            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

I believe that the referenced $7.5 million was for the '64 face lift. This was mostly "Lark" types with very little change to the Hawk.

Gary L.
                              Wappinger, NY

Gary L.
                              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Working...
                              X