Speaking of Raymond Loewy....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speaking of Raymond Loewy....

....I thought these were interesting. I don't remember these pictures having been posted here before. If they have been here previously I apologize.

Last edited by JRoberts; 02-14-2011, 04:38 AM.
    Joe Roberts
    '61 R1 Champ
    '65 Cruiser
    Eastern North Carolina Chapter

That's Grace Kelly with him.

Terry

Comment

The driver's name is Raymond Loewy. The car was his customized Lincoln. Many years ago, I saw that car driving around a car show.
      Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by dictator27 View Post
        That's Grace Kelly with him.Terry
        Really?

Neat...she was so beautiful in Rear Window. Even today she looks great in it, something most other actressses of the period can't say with their now dated hair, makeup and clothes.

In the 4th photo, the logo second from the left on the bottom row looks to be the design for the Air Transport Command of the Army Air Forces (pre US Air Force).
        Can someone confirm what it says beneath it?

And did he really do the "Lasy S" logo (top row center)?
        63 Avanti R1 2788
        1914 Stutz Bearcat
        (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

Originally posted by JBOYLE View Post

And did he really do the "Lasy S" logo (top row center)?
          I believe that the logos are a representation of companies that Raymond Loewy Associates did design work for, not logos that they designed.
          Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by dictator27 View Post
            That's Grace Kelly with him.

Terry
            Looks more like a department store mannequin to me. <G>
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by BubbaBear View Post
              Looks more like a department store mannequin to me. <G>
              Well it sure ain't Grace Kelly.

Comment

In the first photo, the car is left hand controll and in the second, it has been reversed to right hand controll.
                Dave Pink
                Victoria, Australia

1916 SF Roadster
                1925 ER Tourer
                1925 Panel Delivery
                1953 Champion Sedan
                1957 Golden Hawk
                1971 Avanti II

Studebaker Car Club Of Australia Website
                http://www.studebakercarclub.net

Comment

The second photo has the negative flopped. Notice the grille - more 1941 Studebaker Commander than Lincoln Continental.

The wall of logos is actually a wall of his clients over the years. Sunbeam-Talbot is two squares to the left of Studebaker, and another Rootes brand, Commer, is four down. International Harvester and A.C.F. (American Car & Foundry) can also be seen.

Just shows how extremely talented, and respected, the man was.
                  Bill
                  Vancouver, BC

Comment

Hi

Raymond Loewy had two 1941 Continentals customized into personal 'limousines' in 1946 by Derham Body Company of Rosemount, PA. Although generally similar overall, each has detail differences, present a distinctive look from the Continental on which they're based. Both cars still exist in private collections.

The general concensus among Lincoln Continental enthusiasts is the design changes are not an improvement on the original. The 1940-41 Lincoln Continental design, analogous to the 1953-54 Studebaker C-K, is a chaste and unified design that defies satisfactory modification. In any case where customizations are performed, the results detract from the original.

Steve
                    Last edited by 56H-Y6; 02-13-2011, 05:46 AM. Reason: syntax

Comment

Originally posted by 56H-Y6 View Post
                      Hi
                      The general concensus among Lincoln Continental enthusiasts is the design changes are not an improvement on the original. The 1940-41 Lincoln Continental design, analogous to the 1953-54 Studebaker C-K, is a chaste and unified design that defies satisfactory modification. In any case where customizations are performed, the results detract from the original.
                      Steve
                      Among car fans, that seems to be the concensus with most/all cars. A design starts off pure, then gets messed up by the company'wanting to make it look "new" on the cheap.
                      Extreme examples include both the second and third generation Camaro/Firebirds. Both cars...1971s and 82s started off clean and ended up as caricatures.
                      There are a few exceptions...but not many.
                      That's why I bought a 63 Avanti....
                      63 Avanti R1 2788
                      1914 Stutz Bearcat
                      (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

The pictures in the office are nice and different, back a few years ago I had the chance to sit down with Brooks Stevens in his office and talk for over an hour, during that time my sister in law came in and took pictures of the office and us talking, when we got back to California she went to have the developed and found something had gone wrong with her camera and had no pictures, I said that's ok we will be there again as we like that part of the country, sad thing he passed away the next spring so never got back for more pictures, I do have a few items he signed for me one of him in his 62 Excalibur, my favorite car.
                        Candbstudebakers
                        Castro Valley,
                        California

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                          The driver's name is Raymond Loewy.
                          Yes, Gary I realize that. It is a typo and I have not been able to edit the title of the thread.
                          Joe Roberts
                          '61 R1 Champ
                          '65 Cruiser
                          Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

Originally posted by JBOYLE View Post
                            Among car fans, that seems to be the concensus with most/all cars. A design starts off pure, then gets messed up by the company'wanting to make it look "new" on the cheap.
                            Extreme examples include both the second and third generation Camaro/Firebirds. Both cars...1971s and 82s started off clean and ended up as caricatures.
                            There are a few exceptions...but not many.
                            That's why I bought a 63 Avanti....
                            The Oldsmobile Toronado is another example. I have a '66 and it was a clean, beautiful design. By 1972 it was a junked up chrome pimp-mobile! Russ Farris
                            1963 GT Hawk R-2 4-speed
                            1964 Avanti R-1 Auto

Comment

In the first photo, Mr. Lowey is either real small or the model is very tall!

Comment

Working...
                              X