Going to look at a nice '53 Starliner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Going to look at a nice '53 Starliner

Several weeks ago I got an email from a man in Northern Virginia (about 40 miles from me) about advice on selling his deceased dad's pet car. He sent me the pictures below. It is a '53 Commander Starliner built in LA. His dad bought it from California and had it in Houston. The son had it shipped to his location. His son doesn't know much about it, but it obviously has been modified to some extent (12-volt battery in trunk, Vintage Air/Heat, modern radio, '64 steering wheel, '54 instrument cluster, volt meter instead of ammeter, body smoothing, etc.). He hasn't been able to open the hood even though I gave him detailed instructions so I don't know if there is a problem with the latch or not Anyhow, I'm going over on Monday to check it out and I will get the hood open. I'll post my pix when I have had a look.

Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
    '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

I like it! The only things I can think of to improve the looks would be to install a GT Hawk dash and some wire wheels. Why do you suppose their is a 12 volt battery in the trunk?
    sigpic
    In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

Several thing make you wonder on the year model. Such as pedal pads, Dash trim, and tail lights?
      I LIKE IT !!!

Comment

Originally posted by 53k View Post
        Several weeks ago I got an email from a man in Northern Virginia (about 40 miles from me) about advice on selling his deceased dad's pet car. He sent me the pictures below. It is a '53 Commander Starliner built in LA. His dad bought it from California and had it in Houston. The son had it shipped to his location. His son doesn't know much about it, but it obviously has been modified to some extent (12-volt battery in trunk, Vintage Air/Heat, modern radio, '64 steering wheel, '54 instrument cluster, volt meter instead of ammeter, body smoothing, etc.). He hasn't been able to open the hood even though I gave him detailed instructions so I don't know if there is a problem with the latch or not Anyhow, I'm going over on Monday to check it out and I will get the hood open. I'll post my pix when I have had a look.

I'd be all over a C-K that nice.
        JDP Maryland

Comment

Nice '53 Starliner

It most likely has a Complete '61-'64 Hawk Steering Gear Assembly installed, Vintage Air or comparable A/C and modern CD Player as well as a 12 Volt conversion.

I wonder if there is any chance it has a Stude. Engine? It seems doubtful, with all those mods including Custom Wheels & Battery re-location not needed on a Stude. Engine.
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

That's a clean car and the modifications are so subtle, they enhance rather than detract. Notice there are no bumper guards. Those are the first thing to come off any Stude car I buy.

If you don't buy it, pass it along to me!

jack vines
            PackardV8

Comment

Hemi or big Block puts the battery in the trunk
              Candbstudebakers
              Castro Valley,
              California

Comment

Very nice driver. He kept it simple with modern changes. I like the 55 taillights and the 54 dash pods. Nosed & decked very smooth.
                101st Airborne Div. 326 Engineers Ft Campbell Ky.

Comment

I have looked chev I think it was 25 k about a year ago
                  Last edited by blalock51; 02-12-2011, 03:18 AM.

Comment

What's the latest on this, Paul? Certainly is a tastefully-done car and it should have never had any rust issues, given the history. BP
                    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
                      What's the latest on this, Paul? Certainly is a tastefully-done car and it should have never had any rust issues, given the history. BP
                      I will see it day after tomorrow. I'll take pix, get some of the questions answered, then post details. About the only thing I can add now is the serial number, 8834284 (fairly late LA production).
                      '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

I like the car, including most of the changes, even the wheels, but I can't understand why they didn't keep the 1953 Commander dash.
                        Gary L.
                        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I think you mean Raquel Welsh?
                          Originally posted by JDP View Post
                          I'd be all over a C-K that nice.

Comment

Originally posted by Hawklover View Post
                            I think you mean Raquel Welsh?
                            Did you mean Raquel Welch?
                            Gary L.
                            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Saw it today- report with many pix

I drove over and took a pretty good look at the "53 Commander Starliner. In summary, it is a VERY nice car. I found that it really belongs to the wife of the man I was corresponding with. They are a nice young couple who know NOTHING about cars. They were unable to start it, but when I checked the battery, it was completely dead. I asked if it had turned over when they tried to start it and they said it didn't do anything. So, I assume that with a modern CD stereo radio having sat for nine months, the battery was drained. They didn't have a battery charger and I didn't bring my jump starter, but it was driven nine months ago, so I doubt if there is anything wrong. I told them to get the battery charged and try it.
                              They were unable to get the hood open per my instructions. I was unable to get it open per my instructions. The lever that should be above the driver side grille bar was not there. There was a lever that could only be reached by reaching up from under the car. It wouldn't open the hood either, but I was able to get a screwdriver in the pivot of the latch and it popped open. The engine is a Chevy. I don't know enough about them to tell you which Chevy, but I assume it is a 350. It has an Edelbrock 4-barrel. The distributor didn't appear to be electronic (wasn't a window Delco), but it may have a Pertronix in it. The car does not have power steering, but does have what appear to be Turner disc brakes. I don't know what the wheels are, but the tires were 205x70x15 radials. The under hood work is very nice and everything is clean. I assume the later steering column was installed just to get a straight column with no shifter stub since it was original a standard transmission car. It does have a four-speed with a floor shifter. It was sitting in a very wet spot so I couldn't see under it very well to tell if it still had the two-piece drive shaft. Everything did look rust free though. When I took off the radiator cap it was holding a vacuum.
                              The paint isn't perfect, but it is VERY nice. I just noticed a little orange peel on the driver's side and some very minor paint damage at the passenger rear view mirror. I pulled up the edge of the drivers carpet and there was no sign of rust or rust repair. Same with the trunk. The interior is very nice though the carpet is faded some. It has four seat belts installed. It was a garaged California car until 2005 when her dad bought it and took it to Texas where it was also garaged. The original door sills were extremely nice, not dinged or bent as they usually are. Chrome was very nice with just some minor pits on the mouldings below the windshield. The grille mouldings are very nice and the grille bars were very smooth, but have been painted silver. The car was very tight and solid- doors fit beautifully as did the windows. All the glass was good- no bubbles. The trunk has no latch probably because of removal of the trunk handle when it was decked.
                              I can't explain why the '54 dash panel was used. The '53 panel is in the box in the trunk along with a spare '61 horn bar like the one on the wheel. The rear bumper is a Hawk bumper, but the front is stock. As noted, the tail lights are '55 and they look nice on the car.
                              She showed me paperwork that came with the car. I should have made a note of the seller's name, but he was in California, the bill of sale was dated in 2005 and the price paid was $18,200. The only change her dad made was adding the Vintage Heat/Air (cost him $2,200). The installation is very professional. The under seat heater is still there, but not used now.
                              I'm thinking it could be a $25,000 car when they get it running. Any thoughts on that?

I should have mentioned that the doors are slightly ajar in several pix. When closed they fit very nicely.
                              Last edited by 53k; 02-14-2011, 05:31 PM. Reason: clarification

Comment

Working...
                              X