Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Life Long Relatioship Article in TW Just Raised My Curiosity Level.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Life Long Relatioship Article in TW Just Raised My Curiosity Level.

Just wondering how many SDC members cars have been in their family since new?????????????????????

Matthew's article was awsome and seeing a vehicle still in the original family hit me since my 59 Lark was been a family member for 50+ years.

Let's hear some stories and see some pics!!!!!!!!!
    It's cold outside.
    59 Lark Regal 2Dr Hardtop
    51 Champion 2Dr Sedan
    27 Ford Roadster
    Harleys, Mustangs and other Goodies

George Krem and Al Crisi in Colorado maintain a roster of one-family-owned Studebakers. If you have a specific question, you can ask them. (Al Crisi still owns the white 1962 Hawk he bought new and it is in nice condition.) BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Ed Burris from Dunwoody, GA still owns the '63 Cruiser and '64 Avanti be purchased new. Both cars are immaculate and he drives them all over the country and attends every International meet. He drove the Avanti to Arizona last year.

Jeff Rice owns the '61 Hawk his Dad purchased new. Well, what's left of it... <grin>
      Last edited by mbstude; 02-10-2011, 05:04 PM.

Comment

My folks bought their second Studebaker in December, 1949 in Hutchinson, Kansas. My older brother remembers the drive from Stafford (where I was born) to Hutchinson to pick up the car. I don't remember, I was still in the womb. I learned to drive in that car, had my first date in it, and grew up thinking there was no better of a car. After I graduated from high school, the car was parked and rarely driven. About 10 years ago, I asked my dad if I could have it and he said yes. It moved to my house and the work began. Basic restoration began including rebuilding the engine, brakes, new interior, and a paint job. I really wanted to have the car finished so my dad could see it before it was too late for him. And I succeeded. A surprise visit was arranged for him (and other family members) to drive from Amarillo to Lubbock for a tour of my major home and yard remodeling projects. The end of the tour was an entrance to my new carport area from the alley presenting a full view of the Studebaker sitting there under the 300 square foot carport. My dad was overwhelmed. And then I was when I saw how touched he was. We spent the afternoon looking and prodding and driving around the neighborhood. Best day of my life, I do believe.

So, I have had 'my' car since the day I was conceived. That would now be 62 years and 3 months. And yes, it is the same car that is shown in my signature.
        Last edited by BobGlasscock; 02-11-2011, 02:12 PM. Reason: Corrected date.

Comment

Excellent story Bob. Thank you!

Comment

'Way cool, Bob.

Few people can boast of having a car since they were conceived!

Did you ever run the date of your birth backwards nine months versus the production date of the car to see who was "built" first? <GGG> BP
            We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Well, Bob, I can't be sure. I looked the date up again just now, cuz my memory forgets things. Dang it. My car was shipped on November 30, 1949, so my folks would have bought it in early December. (that is the date I changed in my first post).

Rumor has it that I was a little premature, and in 1950 I don't think doctors could "date" pregnancies as accurately as they can now. I was born in July, so if I was (making this up) about 1 month premature, I may have been conceived a couple of weeks or so before the car was purchased. But it went on the line November 14, almost exactly 8 months prior to my birth.

Should we start a lottery guessing which was first? There could be no winner since the information doesn't exist. But it might be fun.

I feel very comfortable with "we were both conceived at the same time".

Comment

I was hoping for you to be a tad younger, and your parents had check out the room in back seat. Ha. (Did I just post that?)

Comment

The Lady who was our tax Comissioner for many years Still owns the 51 business coupe her father bought new. Her grandson recently used it in his wedding.

If I remember the story right, Curtis French owns the 56 GH that his dad bought new.
                  Neil Thornton

Comment

Originally posted by rockinhawk View Post
                    The Lady who was our tax Comissioner for many years Still owns the 51 business coupe her father bought new. Her grandson recently used it in his wedding.

If I remember the story right, Curtis French owns the 56 GH that his dad bought new.
                    I'd forgotten about Brenda's car.

Curtis' car isn't the one they had when he was a kid, but one that was bought as a replacement in the '80's.

Comment

I bought my car from the grandson of the original owner. He inherited it from his father who inherited it from his father who bought it new. They didn't take real good care of it though. It was a complete car but needed a complete re-do.

Does that count?

Jon Stalnaker
                      Karel Staple Chapter SDC

Comment

If it does Jon, my '58 Commander fits in that category too. I purchased it from the grandson of the original owner. It was pretty cool being 18 years old and being the second registered owner of a '58 Stude.

Comment

Originally posted by mbstude View Post
                          I'd forgotten about Brenda's car.

Curtis' car isn't the one they had when he was a kid, but one that was bought as a replacement in the '80's.
                          Yeah, the 56 GH I own now is an identical twin of the one Dad bought (used) in 1960, but mine has only been in the family since 1984. The first one got traded in Nov. of 1962 for a new Dodge conv. - which IS still in the family.

Comment

My Mom and Dad still own the 1957 Silver Hawk and the 1962 Hawk that they bought new. He's now 86 and she is 83.

Comment

all right now guys. All of ya'll who have one-degree of seperation from "been in their family since new" have to start your own thread. This thread seperates the wannabe's from the Studebe's.

ps-- I can't believe I lived in the same town as George Krem at the same time and didn't know it.

Comment

Working...
                              X