Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Soliciting Opinions on Chrome Platers

Hi, Gang,

It's bumper time for the Avanti. No amount of polishing will make these bumbers look even passable, so it's off to the chrome platers with them. But which plater?

My intention has always been to build a nice-looking driver. I don't feel compelled to try for wins at national Avanti shows, but the bumpers should be nice and shiny without obvious flaws. I've gotten a range of quotes (from $2000+ at the high end to $750 at the low) from various advertisers in Hemmings and wanted to run the names by you guys to learn what your experiences have been.

In order of cost, highest to lowest, I have spoken to:

Paul's Chrome Plating, Evans City, PA
    Charger Metals, Philadelphia, PA
    New England Chrome, East Hartford, CT
    Hanlon's Plating, Richmond, VA

I left messages at three other places (Custom in Snellville, GA, Advanced in Erie, PA, Castle in Hudson, MA) but did not hear back before I wrote this post.

Previous posts have discussed Bumper Boyz enough so that I did not feel bad leaving them off the list.

An open and robust discussion is invited.

Thanks, as always,

Tom

I use BAR Plating in Meriden CT. They send the bumpers out, though. They may well go to New England Chrome, I'm not sure.
    Chip
    '63 Cruiser
    '57 Packard wagon
    '61 Lark Regal 4 dr wagon
    '50 Commander 4 dr sedan

Comment

Apparently no one seems to mention Jerry Forrester when these discussions start. He's only a forum member with a good reputation.

Bon

Comment

$750.00 seems high.

Comment

Thanks, Chip, Bob, and Michael.

I've now heard from Advanced and Custom, both of which fell into the middle of the range. Three-part front and three-part rear will run about $1200-$1400 at both places. On with Jerry F. now, thanks to Bob.

Comment

Originally posted by StudeMichael View Post
            $750.00 seems high.
            I think that's for two bumpers. If so, that's cheap.
            Chip
            '63 Cruiser
            '57 Packard wagon
            '61 Lark Regal 4 dr wagon
            '50 Commander 4 dr sedan

Comment

I've used Jerry Forrester in the past for some smaller items, and thought the work and turn around time was top notch.
              Steve
              Buckeye, Arizona

1960 Hawk R2 4 speed project

Comment

When your getting prices always ask if its just a nickle/chrome or a triple chrome finish (nickle/copper/chrome). I have had plating done for years in the L.A. area with various results. With bumpers it is critical that the "polishing" before plating is important. If not done right, you have a good rippled finish which with Avanti bumpers, doesnt leave much material to correct. Dont make the same mistake as me. I chose a cheap plater once for my Avanti tail lamp housings..................& they lost them! Jerry Forrester has an outstanding reputation not only in the club but here in the forum where you would know if things weren't done right.
                59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
                60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
                61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
                62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
                62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
                62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
                63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
                63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
                64 Zip Van
                66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
                66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Thanks, Warren,

Just so you know, Jerry does not use a triple process on steel bumpers. He uses nickel and chrome, but no copper. According to him, on pot metal and aluminum, copper strike is imperative, but on steel, the newer chemicals allow for adhesion and maximum light reflection without copper.

Don't know whether this makes a difference. The show chromers all still use copper strike and presumably have access to the same chemicals Jerry does.

Any metallurgists out there to educate us?

Tom

Comment

These guys did the bumpers on my 56 Golden Hawk for just under $300 each (not counting the two guards):

Comment

Originally posted by black56hawk View Post
                      These guys did the bumpers on my 56 Golden Hawk for just under $300 each (not counting the two guards):

http://tricityplating.com/
                      Tricity has been in the bumper plating business for a very long time and has an excellent reputation for good quality and low price. There are a few custom shops which do a bit better show quality work, but they are much more expensive. Tricity's work is at least as good as OEM Studebaker was on new cars.

Comment

Originally posted by tluz View Post
                        Thanks, Warren,

Just so you know, Jerry does not use a triple process on steel bumpers. He uses nickel and chrome, but no copper. According to him, on pot metal and aluminum, copper strike is imperative, but on steel, the newer chemicals allow for adhesion and maximum light reflection without copper.

Don't know whether this makes a difference. The show chromers all still use copper strike and presumably have access to the same chemicals Jerry does.

Any metallurgists out there to educate us?

Tom
                        I'm a Chem Engr, not a Metallurgist, although I did teach Metallurgy at the College level. I worked in the plating industry from 1964-2004. Jerry Forrester is correct, there is no reason for copper on steel parts.

Many, many moons ago copper was used so it could be buffed bright prior to nickel and chrome. Modern bright nickel, since 1960 or so plates full bright without copper, and no OEMs now use copper. There are a few custom shops which still copper plate, buff, and then nickel/chrome, but that's simply a matter of habit and may be more convenient for old time platers who aren't comfortable polishing and buffing steel.

And, no, all show chrome shops do not use copper, although some still do.

Copper underplate adds nothing to appearance or corrosion resistance to modern nickel/chrome plating. Those of you who go far enough back to remember cars from the 1950s will remember bumpers which rusted in a year or two. Look on the street today and you'll see 15 year old bumpers which look good as new.

Comment

Another vote here for Jerry Forrester. His work is excellent, but more important (to me anyway) is that he's a good guy. That puts him a few lengths out front in my book

We do have another member and forum member who does plating as well. He rarely advertises, so I am sad to say I do not recall his business name just now. Hopefully he will speak up here as well.
                          Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
                          Romans 15:13
                          Deuteronomy 31:6
                          Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Try Richard Lindsey in Ohio 330-855-3225 club member and makes all the meets to deliver, super nice guy to deal with also.
                            Candbstudebakers
                            Castro Valley,
                            California

Comment

For bumpers I'd use Jerry Forrester, for pot metal, Librandi's Plating in Middleton Pa.

Jim
                              "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
                              their Memorials!

Comment

Working...
                              X