Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

StudeRich: can you help on "X-Standard" part numbers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• StudeRich: can you help on "X-Standard" part numbers?

Rich:
    Some time ago you published Studebaker Part Numbers 101, a very handy document.

Over at Studebaker Truck Talk, someone was asking today about what size center bolt was used in his 2R5 truck front springs. The parts catalog lists it as a 104X123, assuming he has a later 2R5 with standard springs. While my M truck parts catalog, and several other pre-1950 parts catalogs, have a very good section at the back with sketches and lists of these "X-Standard" parts, later catalogs don't show them. My M truck catalog shows only a 104X16 as an 3/8-16x8" long spring center bolt, round head, flat on top, no slot. I'm assuming 104X123 is also a 3/8-16 bolt of the same design but different - and undecipherable - length.

Did Studebaker publish a separate book of these parts? Are they really to some industry standard like SAE? If so, where does one find a catalog of these?
    Last edited by garyash; 02-07-2011, 08:16 AM.
    Gary Ash
    Dartmouth, Mass.

'32 Indy car replica (in progress)
    ’41 Commander Land Cruiser
    '48 M5
    '65 Wagonaire Commander
    '63 Wagonaire Standard
    web site at http://www.studegarage.com

Sorry Gary I really do not know. One easy solution may be to order the needed part from S.I. if it turns up in the South Bend Warehouse, he will be a happy camper! I do not believe there was any separate book published for the "Standards" and not 100% sure if they were Industry Standards, or Studebaker Standards.

If we could find a GM or Ford Tech writter we might learn some things though, as I suspect we may not have any LIVING Studebaker employees with that knowledge.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Gary-
      I dunno the answer either, but your instincts are right. Back when N&A was on the north side of Sample St, I attempted to buy samples of every G and X part number hardware. From intensive study of this important subject, I developed a minimal understanding of Studebaker's hardware numbering rules. For oddball bolts, all with the same prefix will have the same diameter. A longer suffix means greater length. (Not true for things like speednuts.) He ought to be able to guess the length required, and just buy an even longer bolt and cut it to size if necessary.
      Skip Lackie

Comment

Gee, Skip, you might have had to buy a LOT of parts to get one of everything! While the "longer suffix" generally refers to a greater bolt length, there are many of these parts where the suffix sequence has no relationship to dimensions, e.g. 11X head bolts. See my PDF of the two series of "standard parts" from the M truck manual: http://www.studegarage.com/images/ot...dard_parts.pdf
        There are pretty complete lists in the 1934-46 and 1947-48 chassis books I have, just a few items in the 1951-54 parts catalog. They seem to have only shown the ones that were used on the particular model covered by the catalog, not all standard parts.

Incidentally, I finally figured out how they made all the line drawings for the parts catalogs in the old days: they used photographs and traced over them. I was able to get exact alignment of a photo of the 250 cu in straight 8 with a drawing in the parts catalog. They must have had an army of draftsmen (any women?) and piles of photos. I'm sure I could not do THAT job all day, every day!
        Gary Ash
        Dartmouth, Mass.

'32 Indy car replica (in progress)
        ’41 Commander Land Cruiser
        '48 M5
        '65 Wagonaire Commander
        '63 Wagonaire Standard
        web site at http://www.studegarage.com

Comment

Originally posted by Skip Lackie View Post
          >>>I attempted to buy samples of every G and X part number hardware. From intensive study of this important subject, I developed a minimal understanding of Studebaker's hardware numbering rules. For oddball bolts, all with the same prefix will have the same diameter. A longer suffix means greater length. (Not true for things like speednuts.) He ought to be able to guess the length required, and just buy an even longer bolt and cut it to size if necessary.
          Through the efforts of a few persons that will remain unnamed and the generous donation of a local corporation, the SNM Archives now has a complete set of ALL "G" part numbers (drawings & specifications) Studebaker ever used!!!

FWIW; there are literally thousands of Studebaker "part numbers" that were used for "PRODUCTION ONLY" purposes, therefore, never have appeared in PARTS CATALOGS.

Comment

Working...
          X