M15A-20 Truck Rim Some split, Some Not

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• M15A-20 Truck Rim Some split, Some Not

I am currently considering what to do about the rims and tires for my M15A-20. Seems the cheapest route is to stay with the split rims that came with the truck. Purchase either the Super Transport STA 750-17 or the Michelin XCA 750R17's. Have not found any modern (non-split) replacements that fit the hole pattern and the correct offset for the duals. One problem I see is that four of the six rims seem different, they don't have a split in the ring and the other do. What is this about? Home does one get the ring off without the split? Here is a rim with the split (the split is at the 10 o'clock position):

1948 M15A-20 Flatbed Truck Rescue
    See rescue progress here on this blog:
    http://studem15a-20.blogspot.com/

From your questions, it seems you don't have a Shop Manual. You really should get one. There are clear photos showing how to mount and dismount tires on the wheels with both split and solid rings.

jack vines
    PackardV8

Comment

Jack

After lurking and posting the short tme since I start restoring this beast, I am coming to the conclusion that I have a substandard or crappy manuals. I got both the parts manual and shop manual from Studebaker International, where did you get yours? My parts manual has an orange cover and the shop manual's cover is tan. Both are supposedly original reproductions...

Comment

I used to work in a shop that serviced medium and heavy trucks. I recommend finding a truck tire shop to mount and dismount tires on these rims.
        Dismounting without proper tools and experience is difficult. Mounting without proper tools can be deadly!
        A truck tire shop has a welded cage the wheel and tire are placed in when inflated. If the ring doesn't seat completely it can fly off!
        Not something I want airborn in my shop!
        Stay safe! We want to keep hearing from you!

Comment

You might try posting this question on this forum:
          Tapatalk the world's leading mobile platform for building great communities online

There is a gentleman there who goes by the handle truckdog who really knows old truck wheels, and freely gives good advice. It's obvious that you have two different types of wheel riings -- whether it matters, I don't know -- but he could tell you. Even if it doesn't matter what kind of rings you have, I would agree that you don't want to be doing that job yourself -- leave it to the pros. That said, every Stude truck shop manual I have seen includes a lengthy section on how to mount/dismount tires from multi-piece truck wheels.
          Skip Lackie

Comment

Thanks. I don't have plans to mount to these rims but wanted to take a flat dead tire off to take a rim to the tire dude. I also like to know everything about a given subject

Comment

They look like the big-5 bolt pattern. If so, you could go with 19.5" rims off of an old motorhome. Neal

Comment

Working...
              X