new member big project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new member big project

I just agreed to help a friend put his 51 Studebaker pickup back together. He let one of his friends do some work on it and here's where it stands now.. Original motor and trans gone..many parts missing and a small block chevy installed. The last person to work on this has passed away so all info and whereabouts of the parts are lost. So my job is to get it roadworthy with very little money..

Worthy project, but very little money had better be a subjective term.
    JDP Maryland

Comment

It will be a low budget project. The next thing I need is to find a gas tank that will work. I'd like to use the original filler location.

Comment

Since he's already half-there, go rat rod. That's the only low-bucks option. Real paint, real interior get expensive.

The hard parts are no problem. Mostly, anything C-cab from '49-59 will fit. It is the trim parts which get expensive.

The last person to work on this has passed away
        I'm unclear as to how the laws of kharma apply here. The last person may have taken the debt with him. However, the owner is also in the equation. Good luck.

jack vines
        PackardV8

Comment

I wouldn't even know where to start typing here.

Did the previous "builder" figure out the clutch mechanisms for the new transmission?

I can't tell if you have the hood hinges in the photo's (Doesn't look like it.)
          But the radiator brace has been hacked off, so the stock hood prop rod will not be holding up the hood.

Stock gas tanks able to hold fuel will be pricey, (2-400?) nothing remanufactured, so you'll be looking/asking for something someone has stored in their parts stash, or a parts truck. Or repairing the one the owner has.
          Pin hole specials cheaper but then factor in fixing.
          Heater box looks to be missing, can't make out in the interior picture if the contols are there. So there's something else.

Edit, 2-8-11
          To be more positive and to encourage you in your quest to help a friend put his truck back together,
          post here on the forum as many times as needed, take pictures, and patiently wait for responses or help.

Step by step, compare parts manuals, with what you have. And the truck will go back together piece by piece.
          And if all those pieces don't make sense take a picture and someone surely will be able to identify.

Last edited by 4961Studebaker; 02-08-2011, 09:53 AM.
          61 Lark

sigpic

Comment

I have lots of things for that truck but am on the west coast.
            Candbstudebakers
            Castro Valley,
            California

Comment

I'd look at the possibilty of a hydralic clutch to eliminate trying to engineer mechanical linkages. I once owned a 53 coupe that once had a sbc and used a hyd mechanism for the clutch. Clutch m/c was mounted on the outbourd side of the frame with bolts holding both m/c's. I'd think you'd have more room on the truck frame. Just have to mount a slave cyclinder. Probably use a brake pedal for the clutch. That's my input and wish you well with the project. Looks like good sheet metal to work with.
              Kim

Comment

Working...
              X