59 lark

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 59 lark

Hello everyone, Im new to this site. Just bought my 59 Lark about a week ago. It has a flathead six in it, and I was looking for a dual one barrel carb setup for it. I think six cylinders are cool and different. Not really looking for major performance or anything I think they look cool. I am in northeast ohio and have heated shop so I wanted to detail engine and engine bay over the next couple of months. If anybody has one or info on where to find them please let me know. Wolfy

Bill Cathcart, in Connecticut, has just what you need, both intake and exhaust. I've heard recently that his website is down, can't comment on that, but he does specialize in speed equipment for the Studebaker flat head six.

Comment

Thanks Tom, I have talked with him on the phone. I just wasnt prepared for 1100.00. Im like everyone else, big ideas, small budget. There is another company called Vintage Speed that makes a y manifold that fits right on stocker, no need to change exhaust. Know anyone that has tried on of these? Wolfy

Comment

Here's the info you need on previous thread about the Cathcart web site and phone number.

Comment

I know what you mean about a small budget. You could try something like Mr. Phillips did and build your own if you have the skills.

"In the heart of Arkansas."
          Searcy, Arkansas
          1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
          1952 2R pickup

Comment

The vintage speed unit is just a Y adapter for 2 carbs, and dosen''t even look that cool.
            JDP Maryland

Comment

No danger of increasing performance with that setup. Just twice the troubles.

Comment

Dont think i have the skills to build my own. I can build anything out of wood but I have to get help with metal fabrication. Offenhauser makes a manifold for stud sixs but in their info it says it only fits up to 58. Is the 59 the same as the 58? Oh well, not going to sweat it too much ,the car runs so good the way it is. Buddy of mine said he would turn me on to a 289 if I wanted it , I just think sixs are cool.

Comment

Wolfy, It's not tough to make one yourself. Don't be intimidated by the science. Nothing to it. I've shown this before, but just for your benefit, here it is again. Its a little crude, but it worked well. I made mine for a small 4 bbl carb cuz I was using a turbocharger on my flat 6. You could easily make one of these and use 2 one bbl carbs or a single 2 bbl carb. Whatever floats your boat. If you don't weld, don't fret. Get friendly with your local "hole in the wall" muffler shop. I would not try it with a brand name chain shop like Midas. They're a little tight about off the wall stuff. Just find your local hot rodder friendly muffler shop and he'll be really cool about doing stuff like this. All the guys I've used in the past have been stoked to see fabricated parts and have been price friendly as well. You should be able to make your own for less than $50. 1/2 inch bar stock for the flange, exhaust tubing for the runners. You can make it even easier with a 2-1/2 inch exhaust tubing for the log instead of the rectangular stock I used. Make the log a little longer and have the runners be a straight shot into the head. Easy is best. Good luck.
                  sals54

Comment

Working...
                  X