Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to Studes

Greetings all,
    I recently purchased a 41 Commander and I am waiting for her to be transported to her new home. Meanwhile, I have many questions but will start with two.

1. the car has only one keyed entry on the front passenger door. Was this typical and, if so, does anyone know the reasoning behind having only one keyed entry?

2. The previous owner rechromed everything. How does one paint the red accents over the chrome?

I have attached two pictures (I hope). Any and all help is welcome.

Cheers!

BrianClick image for larger version

Name:	DSC00450 (Medium).JPG
Views:	1
Size:	81.2 KB
ID:	1733024Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00451 (Medium).JPG
Views:	1
Size:	78.7 KB
ID:	1733025
    sigpic
    Brian Schuppert

71 Buick Riviera
    41 Studebaker Commander

Welcome, Brian!

I think the key issue has something to do with not being able to lock yourself out of your car. Some expert will come along and tell you for sure.

And I sure don't know anything about red accents over chrome. Really? Paint chrome???? Oh, well, I know nothing.

Oops, actually, I do know something. That is a very beautiful car. whew.

Comment

The lock is only on the passenger side because back in the day common practice was to enter and exit the car from the curb side... safer than standing in the street to do so.
      sigpic
      Dave Lester

Comment

In most States it was or IS illegal to enter/exit on the traffic side of the car, the Left Door Lock was OPTIONAL on older Cars (pre-war) and ALL Studebaker Trucks to 1964.

Just one of those dumb laws that was or is not inforced, like having correct DOT approved deep RED Tail Lights, which I think is a GOOD idea!

Way too many of those Original Toyota small pickups and some cars were allowed into this Country, like the new "Round" custom tail lights with the chrome plastic surrounds being used today, with washed out red/orange lenses.
        Last edited by StudeRich; 02-05-2011, 04:42 PM.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

That car looks familiar. Did you get it in Washington State--maybe Gig Harbor? Anyway, Studedude is correct on the lock issue. I painted the red on the chrome on my 1941 Commander. We had some paint mixed at the local auto paint store to match the old color and they put it in an aerosol can. A little expensive, but it worked great after masking off the part I didn't want painted. I recommend you join the Antique Studebaker Club to get the great publication and connect with folks with similar cars. Welcome.

Comment

Thanks to all who replied on the lock question. One wonders why, if it was indeed safer to enter/exit the vehicle on the curb side, why that safety "issue" was abandoned for convenience later. Yes, Don, the car was purchased in Gig Harbor. Are you very familiar with it? Perhaps you could share with me what you know about it. What prep work had to be done before you painted the chrome. I know that if you just paint chrome, the paint will peel very quickly.

Cheers!

Brian
            sigpic
            Brian Schuppert

71 Buick Riviera
            41 Studebaker Commander

Comment

When the trunk handle on my '53 needed painted, after paying dearly for the rechrome, I masked it with duct tape, gave it a quick shot in the bead cabinet to acquire a "tooth" for the paint to adhere, wiped with final-clean and sprayed.
              Brad Johnson,
              SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
              Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
              '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
              '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Use acid etch primer then paint. True zinc-chromate is no longer available, but it would stick to anything .
                Bez Auto Alchemy
                573-318-8948
                http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by Drummerboy View Post
                  Thanks to all who replied on the lock question. One wonders why, if it was indeed safer to enter/exit the vehicle on the curb side, why that safety "issue" was abandoned for convenience later.
                  Cheers!

Brian
                  Two words: shopping centers. Until the first shopping centers were built in the 40s and 50s, the only place to park in most towns was on the street, parallel to the curb. Shopping center parking lots changed the paradigm.
                  Skip Lackie

Comment

The car was previously owned by Milo Glaser in Puyallup. It has been repainted and upholstered since he owned it. He said it was a nice running and driving car, but he sold it because he had a beautiful original 41 Commander and didn't need two. He did say the car you now have was the better driving of the two.

Comment

Also on the lock issue, it was not a problem to slide across the bench seat with column shift. Now it is a challenge to enter a car from the passenger side and transfer to the driver side.
                      Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
                      50 Champion 2 door*
                      53 Commander K Auto*
                      53 Commander K overdrive*
                      55 President Speedster
                      62 GT 4Speed*
                      63 Avanti R1*
                      64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

Comment

welcome!!! from a new owner of a '40 champion...
                        if you're not a member of the Studebaker Drivers Club (SDC), it's a good deal and the info you receive in the monthly magazine, "Turning Wheels", is priceless!!!
                        Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

Thanks to all for the info.

Rockne- unfortunately, I don't know anyone around here with a bead blaster large enought for a whole bumper.
                          Corvanti-I have joined the SDC and am making plans to attend the CanAm meet in New Westminster in August 2011. I hope to meet some of my Washington "neighbors" there.
                          Also thanks, Don, for the info on the vehicle. Knowing absolutely nothing about vintage Studebakers, it's good to know I made a reasonably sound purchase. My previous buy of a 71 Buick Riviera was somewhat of an expensive purchase.

Is there also an advantage to joining both the SDC and the Antique Studebaker Club?

Cheers!

Brian

Cheers!
                          Brian
                          sigpic
                          Brian Schuppert

71 Buick Riviera
                          41 Studebaker Commander

Comment

Yes. I am a member of both clubs and highly recommend it to you.
                            Dave...
                            Dave Pink
                            Victoria, Australia

1916 SF Roadster
                            1925 ER Tourer
                            1925 Panel Delivery
                            1953 Champion Sedan
                            1957 Golden Hawk
                            1971 Avanti II

Studebaker Car Club Of Australia Website
                            http://www.studebakercarclub.net

Comment

Originally posted by Drummerboy View Post
                              Thanks to all for the info.

Is there also an advantage to joining both the SDC and the Antique Studebaker Club?

Cheers!

Brian

Cheers!
                              Brian
                              The ASC focuses entirely on pre-WWII Studebakers, while SDC honors all Stude vehicles. So ASC might be more appropriate for your car, but SDC is much larger and provides many more services. I'd recommend you join both.
                              Skip Lackie

Comment

Working...
                              X