Pictures for Mr. Biggs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pictures for Mr. Biggs

I recall that Mr. Biggs stated that he once worked on F84s in the Air Force. I also worked on F84s in the Air National Guard. One of the planes I worked on is now at the Bellwood Defense Supply Center in south Richmond. I took pictures of my Daytona next to it.

They have more planes on the grounds...

Leonard Shepherd, editor, The Commanding Leader, Central Virginia Chapter, http://centralvirginiachapter.org/

Cool![]

Yeah, I was fresh outta the Air Force in '67 when I got a job with Lockheed Field Service where we completely rewired the F-84Fs that the ANG was flying. I have no idea how much money the whole thing cost, but right after we finished the contract the F-84s were retired to mothballing in Arid-zona.
    BTW, when they (the ANG troops we answered to) found out I was a bit of an artist, some of the money that taxpayers laid out for rewiring the planes was used to pay me while I constructed and painted gaming tables for ANG social functions.[}]

Miscreant adrift in
    the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Cool![]

Yeah, I was fresh outta the Air Force in '67 when I got a job with Lockheed Field Service where we completely rewired the F-84Fs that the ANG was flying. I have no idea how much money the whole thing cost, but right after we finished the contract the F-84s were retired to mothballing in Arid-zona.
      BTW, when they (the ANG troops we answered to) found out I was a bit of an artist, some of the money that taxpayers laid out for rewiring the planes was used to pay me while I constructed and painted gaming tables for ANG social functions.[}]

Miscreant adrift in
      the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
      1960 Larkvertible V8
      1958 Provincial wagon
      1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

If anyone cares...
        The plane in the second photo is an F/A-18 Hornet,
        then a F-14 Tomcat...both are considerably newer than the Daytona.

63 Avanti R1 2788
        1914 Stutz Bearcat
        (George Barris replica)

Washington State
        63 Avanti R1 2788
        1914 Stutz Bearcat
        (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

If anyone cares...
          The plane in the second photo is an F/A-18 Hornet,
          then a F-14 Tomcat...both are considerably newer than the Daytona.

63 Avanti R1 2788
          1914 Stutz Bearcat
          (George Barris replica)

Washington State
          63 Avanti R1 2788
          1914 Stutz Bearcat
          (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

Yeah the F-14 Tomkats, were coming on line around 1973 or '74
            They were the sweetest things to hit Miramar NAS (Top Gun school)
            now MCAS in Sandy Eggo since.....well you had to be there!

glen Brose
            Tumbleweed Flats, AZ

Comment

Yeah the F-14 Tomkats, were coming on line around 1973 or '74
              They were the sweetest things to hit Miramar NAS (Top Gun school)
              now MCAS in Sandy Eggo since.....well you had to be there!

glen Brose
              Tumbleweed Flats, AZ

Comment

quote:BTW, when they (the ANG troops we answered to) found out I was a bit of an artist, some of the money that taxpayers laid out for rewiring the planes was used to pay me while I constructed and painted gaming tables for ANG social functions.
                I don't remember any social functions.

They must have been for officers.

Comment

quote:BTW, when they (the ANG troops we answered to) found out I was a bit of an artist, some of the money that taxpayers laid out for rewiring the planes was used to pay me while I constructed and painted gaming tables for ANG social functions.
                  I don't remember any social functions.

They must have been for officers.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by lstude

I recall that Mr. Biggs stated that he once worked on F84s in the Air Force. I also worked on F84s in the Air National Guard. One of the planes I worked on is now at the Bellwood Defense Supply Center in south Richmond. I took pictures of my Daytona next to it.

Excuse me for butting in here, but isn't that actually an F86 Sabre Jet in the back ground there?

I thought the F84 was a straight-winged plane similar to the F80 Shooting Star and T33 trainer, of the early 50's?

Karl

1962 GT Hawk 4sp

Comment

quote:Originally posted by lstude

Excuse me for butting in here, but isn't that actually an F86 Sabre Jet in the back ground there?

I thought the F84 was a straight-winged plane similar to the F80 Shooting Star and T33 trainer, of the early 50's?

Karl

1962 GT Hawk 4sp

Comment

Can I answer this? I've been carring around lots of aviation history for years and never get a chance to use it...

MagikDraggin: No, it really is an F-84F.
                        You're right, the original F-84 was the straight-wing Thunderjet.
                        A swept wing (i.e. faster) version the F-84F Thunderstreak was also produced...after it was found straight wing jets, the F-80 and 84 were at a disadvantage to the swept-wing MiG-15 in Korea.
                        The straight-wing 84 gave excellent service in Korea as a ground attack aircraft, the swept wing version went onto servie in considerable numbers with both the USAF and NATO air forces. I believe swept wing versions outnumbered the straight wing jets.

The Navy did something similar, turning the straight wing Grumman F-9F Panther (as seen in the film The Bridges at Toko-Ri)
                        into the F-9F8 Cougar.

And I'd just be showing off if I mentioned a photo recon version of the F-84F was produced, the RF-84F Thunderflash.

63 Avanti R1 2788
                        1914 Stutz Bearcat
                        (George Barris replica)

Washington State
                        63 Avanti R1 2788
                        1914 Stutz Bearcat
                        (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

Can I answer this? I've been carring around lots of aviation history for years and never get a chance to use it...

A swept wing (i.e. faster) version the F-84F Thunderstreak was also produced...after it was found straight wing jets, the F-80 and 84 were at a disadvantage to the swept-wing MiG-15 in Korea.
                          The straight-wing 84 gave excellent service in Korea as a ground attack aircraft, the swept wing version went onto servie in considerable numbers with both the USAF and NATO air forces. I believe swept wing versions outnumbered the straight wing jets.

The Navy did something similar, turning the straight wing Grumman F-9F Panther (as seen in the film The Bridges at Toko-Ri)
                          into the F-9F8 Cougar.

And I'd just be showing off if I mentioned a photo recon version of the F-84F was produced, the RF-84F Thunderflash.

63 Avanti R1 2788
                          1914 Stutz Bearcat
                          (George Barris replica)

Washington State
                          63 Avanti R1 2788
                          1914 Stutz Bearcat
                          (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

quote:Originally posted by JBOYLE

The straight-wing 84 gave excellent service in Korea as a ground attack aircraft, the swept wing version went onto servie in considerable numbers with both the USAF and NATO air forces.

63 Avanti R1 2788
                            1914 Stutz Bearcat
                            (George Barris replica)

Washington State
                            Wow! I humbly stand corrected. I had no idea. Just like me, though....I know about some things just enough to get myself in big trouble...heh, heh.

Karl

1962 GT Hawk 4sp

Comment

quote:Originally posted by JBOYLE

The straight-wing 84 gave excellent service in Korea as a ground attack aircraft, the swept wing version went onto servie in considerable numbers with both the USAF and NATO air forces.

63 Avanti R1 2788
                              1914 Stutz Bearcat
                              (George Barris replica)

Washington State
                              Wow! I humbly stand corrected. I had no idea. Just like me, though....I know about some things just enough to get myself in big trouble...heh, heh.

Karl

1962 GT Hawk 4sp

Comment

Working...
                              X