PDA

View Full Version : Wheel bearing grease...

Ron Dame
09-04-2006, 02:25 PM
While I'm playing Mr. Fixit on the truck, I need to check teh brakes and repack teh wheel bearings. It's been 5 years and 20,000 miles or so. The fronts are no big deal, I'll clean the bearings and refresh with new grease.

The rears, of corurse are a different story. They are currently backed with the old black, stringy kind of grease, which I don't have any more of, and am having a hard time finding. Is it compatible with either the more modern black wheel bearing greases or red grease? I hate pulling axles to clean the old grease out, but I'd hate worse to mix incompatible greases and end up with greasy sand!

Any comments?

Ron Dame
'63 Champ

CHAMP
09-04-2006, 02:39 PM
If it were mine I beleive I would pull the axles and clean everything up. I did that with mine about a year and 6,000 miles ago. I like the blue wheel bearing grease from NAPA.:)

GARY H 2DR.SEDAN 48 STUDEBAKER CHAMPION NORTHEAST MD.

Ron Dame
09-04-2006, 03:01 PM
I have a nearly new tub of red, haven't seen the blue before..what's it all about?

quote:Originally posted by CHAMP

If it were mine I beleive I would pull the axles and clean everything up. I did that with mine about a year and 6,000 miles ago. I like the blue wheel bearing grease from NAPA.:)

Ron Dame
'63 Champ

CHAMP
09-04-2006, 03:55 PM
I don't think the color of the grease really makes any difference. Just different brands.:)

Ron Dame
09-04-2006, 05:06 PM
Oh OK. I do know that certain greases (don't know about the old fiberous and newer, lighter weight wheel bearing greases though) are incompatible, and will turn gritty...not so good for bearings, huh?

quote:Originally posted by CHAMP

I don't think the color of the grease really makes any difference. Just different brands.:)

Ron Dame
'63 Champ

autotech55cobra
09-04-2006, 11:36 PM
I've been using lubriplate 630a for years and have no problems for 30yrs But it is getting hard to find Good luck

Mike Van Veghten
09-05-2006, 12:11 AM
Mobile I synthetic....it's red(ish). That's what I use.

Mike

64V-K7
09-05-2006, 06:56 AM
Until a few years ago, when it ran out, I used a tub of Quaker State disk brake wheel bearing grease. It was very thick and appeared to be paraffin based. Very tenacious stuff, even when hot. Excellent quality

Ron Dame
09-05-2006, 07:31 AM
Thats what's in there now. Is it compatible with any moddern greases? I hate pulling axles, but if I need to get the old stuff out first, that's what I'll do.

quote:Originally posted by 55Prez

Until a few years ago, when it ran out, I used a tub of Quaker State disk brake wheel bearing grease. It was very thick and appeared to be paraffin based. Very tenacious stuff, even when hot. Excellent quality

Ron Dame
'63 Champ

kamzack
09-05-2006, 10:41 AM
Hi,
I see you've asked several times about compatibility. If you look for and purchase a lithium complex grease you'll have no problems. Lithium base is compatible with pretty much everything but barium,but I don't think you'd find that at your local parts store. I Sell grease and oils, so my suggestion is gonna be what I sell. Lubrication Engineers.Call them @ 800-537-7683,ask them so have a rep in your area call you,and ask him for a sample tube of "3752". He should have some sample tubes with him, I do, and don't mind donating a tube from time to time. After using it, you may want to ask him to sell you a 10pack, it normally comes in a case of 50 tubes. It'll probably run youabout $7.50 a tube. Quality costs a bit more. If you'd like the specs on it, let me know and I'll email it to ya.
Kim
hudsonbaker@myexcel.com