Bought a '40 Champion "Original" 4 door

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bought a '40 Champion "Original" 4 door

picked it up in new jersey this weekend between snow storms i'm sure that i'll have many questions to ask, but the 1st one is: since i want to keep this as an "original", is there anything i can do with it? such as - there is a little bit of surface rust underneath. can i prepare and use por-15 or similar product? one site i read suggested to brush it clean with 409 and leave it...
    any comments appreciated.
    interesting history on the vehicle. more pics soon...

Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

NICE purchase! It's a beauty.

Comment

I love these prewar Champions. Even though it is an economy car, that four door looks very classy in black. Enjoy!
      "In the heart of Arkansas."
      Searcy, Arkansas
      1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
      1952 2R pickup

Comment

That is a nice looking car. I like the fender skirts.
        Gary Sanders
        Nixa, MO

Comment

Nice car! My dad had one just like that, but traded it in for the '50 shown in my signature. One of many family Studebakers.

My input on your wish to keep it original, but what can you do to improve it is this -- That is up to you. Some would say that something as simple as undercoating is too much for the original definition. I am of the 'original' thought pattern, but if I lived in a wet, rust-prone area, I would consider new undercoating. A rusted out heap of metal is not much of a car. Many members will accept brake upgrades and turn-signals for safety. All of this is really just up to you.

Comment

It looks like you've bought a sensational looking '40 Champion. My very first car was a '40 Champion business coupe. I've always loved the styling of those cars and would love to own one again. By the looks of your photos, the car looks to be in great shape. I hope you enjoy driving the car.
            Rog
            '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
            Smithtown,NY
            Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

I saw that car on ebay when the auction was still going. What a car!!! You will enjoy driving it, '40 Champions are a lot of fun.
              Chris Dresbach

Comment

Nice car... enjoy the ride...

Comment

Wow what a score! I don't believe I have ever seen a Stude. that old in THAT good a Original Condition! Really quite amazing!
                  StudeRich
                  Second Generation Stude Driver,
                  Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                  SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by Corvanti View Post
                    picked it up in new jersey this weekend between snow storms i'm sure that i'll have many questions to ask, but the 1st one is: since i want to keep this as an "original", is there anything i can do with it? such as - there is a little bit of surface rust underneath. can i prepare and use por-15 or similar product? one site i read suggested to brush it clean with 409 and leave it... any comments appreciated. interesting history on the vehicle. more pics soon...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...&category=6466

I note that you are using the photo that I took of this car when I was in Florida in December 1981 as your signature photo. When I saw the car on Ebay I corresponded with the seller and sent him that photo showing the car without the fender skirts. When I looked at it some 30 years ago it had just over 9,000 miles on it. As nice as it appears now it was much nicer in 1981! From the ’81 owner in New Port Richey, FL it went to a buyer in the Miami area then I lost track of it. I have for sale ads from the car in a car magazine in 1989 (must sell $6995). It is my understanding that it has been in the possesion of a New York man for the last 2 decades. I had always wondered what happened to it and now I have my answer! Incidentally the car was confirmed as being the same since I had copied both the serial and body number of it and placed it on the back of the photo.

My personal preference would be in favor of omitting the fender skirts. While they do have a certain appeal to me on coupes not so much on 4-door sedans. These were doubtless added by a more recent owner since they were not with the car when I viewed it in ’81. The one disappointment I had in the car was that it had no overdrive. I have driven 1939-41 Champions over 100,000 miles and I can relate how valuable that option is if they are going to be driven very much. With a little looking you could probably find one. What you would be looking for is a Wagner with a six bolt cover plate and the number T84F-1A on the side.

In any event I love the car and wish you well with it.
                    Richard Quinn
                    Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

thank you sir, i was thinking the same on the fender skirts (taking them off), and did wish it had overdrive. i may remedy the overdrive down the line awhile...
                      the P.O. in NJ, purchased the vehicle from a man in NY, a Mr. Paino, last may...

i appreciate all the input on the "original" question - keep it coming!!!

Comment

Very nice car; what a sweetheart. To be enjoyed, for sure. Congratulations. BP
                        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary1953 View Post
                          That is a nice looking car. I like the fender skirts.
                          I know the car and I don't think I would do any thing to it , Just keep the moisture from it the best you can , And maintain it , I'm surprised George sold it !

Comment

Originally posted by jts359 View Post
                            I know the car and I don't think I would do any thing to it , Just keep the moisture from it the best you can , And maintain it , I'm surprised George sold it !
                            thanks to all that have responded so far!!!

any reason as to why george put it up for sale would be speculation on my part. he did write a letter published in TW a few months ago re: "original" condition judging, which seems to have helped get the ball rolling on that subject - this month's (feb/11) TW has new info...

i would have loved to see his 56J!!!

the jury is still out on the underside - i think i'll get it up on stands and take a real good look before i do more than just clean it up...

Comment

Working...
                            X