Updates to Skytop Registry Website

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Updates to Skytop Registry Website

A number of updates have been made to the Studebaker Skytop Registry website in January. The major updates are detailed on the home page of the website at: http://www.studebakerskytop.com/

Among the updates are:
    • Registry listing update revisions/corrections, including one new surviving Skytop listed (63S 14642)
    • Pictures that provide evidence that Santa Clause may be a Studebaker Skytop owner!
    • A great new Skytop Story by John Metzker about the R2/4-speed powered Skytop that he restored in the 1980s
    • Skytop Mysteries
    There is a lot more info to be put on the website, including three (three!) additional surviving Skytops that we are chasing down information on, so stop by every so often to check for updates.
    Paul
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

This ios a great site and a great resource! Thanks for all the work keeping the website up.

Mark

Comment

Paul, a year or so ago, I sent you some photographs of a '63 Skytop 4 door that was the Charlotte Autofair at Lowe's Motor Speedway. The pictures were taken by myself sometime during the middle to late 90's. If I remember correctly, you were thinking this '63 was the one parted by Jack White and not the silver '63 with the Aero wheelcovers that is pictured on the 1963 survivors page. I haven't heard anything else said about this car and was just curious if additional research proved that this was not the car parted out.

The car that I snapped pictures of had a red interior with individual adjustable seats and factory air conditioning. It did not have full wheel covers.

Best regards

Bill Sapp
      Hamlet NC

Comment

Hey, that was me!

It was a Lark Custom I found in Richland, NC in around 1992. Yes, it was really loaded up with the options, including TT. I got it running and fixed the brakes; it was a real shame it wasn't in better shape body wise. I sold/traded it for something to Jack White (I can't remember which) and on closer inspection he found the B pillars were completely gone at the floor level so it was parted out. Jack kept the roof section with the Skytop. I'm sure it's not the same car on Paul's website - mine had a black roof, not white. It would have been a fantastic little car to save, but it just wasn't economicaly possible. Paul knows the whole sad story... Russ Farris
        1963 GT Hawk R-2 4-speed
        1964 Avanti R-1 Auto

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Bill View Post
          Paul, a year or so ago, I sent you some photographs of a '63 Skytop 4 door that was the Charlotte Autofair at Lowe's Motor Speedway. The pictures were taken by myself sometime during the middle to late 90's. If I remember correctly, you were thinking this '63 was the one parted by Jack White and not the silver '63 with the Aero wheelcovers that is pictured on the 1963 survivors page. I haven't heard anything else said about this car and was just curious if additional research proved that this was not the car parted out.

The car that I snapped pictures of had a red interior with individual adjustable seats and factory air conditioning. It did not have full wheel covers.

Best regards

Bill Sapp
          Hamlet NC
          Bill,

Yes, we did determine that the car you sent the pics of was the car that Jack White parted out. I am pretty sure I responded back to you via email, but it might have gotten lost in cyberspace.

I now believe that the silver '63 Custom was another car, and have added it to the 'Skytop Mysteries' section to see if someone can provide any info on it. The pics are also still in the Surviving Car Pictures section because it will provide more exposure to potentially finding this car, and also because the Webmaster thinks this is such a beautiful car/color combo<G>.
          Paul
          Winston-Salem, NC

Comment

While we are on the subject of some of the Skytops we are trying to get more info on, here are some of them from the Skytops Mysteries section -- anyone have any info or know of these cars?

Note that the first car was advertised for sale in 1982 so don't try to call the phone number<G>

Seen in Virginia in the 1970s:

Sold on eBay in 2005:

Seen at Hershy in 2001:

Last edited by r1lark; 02-01-2011, 04:52 PM. Reason: spelling
            Paul
            Winston-Salem, NC

Comment

Nice updates to one of my favorite sites, Paul! Of course I am prejudiced, being a Lark nerd as well as Skytop nerd
              Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
              Romans 15:13
              Deuteronomy 31:6
              Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Paul, the website looks great. Thanks for continuing to host this!

I need to get off my duff and send you a couple of the color 1964 photos of my Skytop that the original owners, the Duginskis, gave me. I'll try and remember this week to do that. Minimally, I think you'd probably enjoy seeing them.
                Bill Pressler
                Kent, OH
                (formerly Greenville, PA)
                Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
                Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
                1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
                1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
                All are in Australia now

Comment

Bill, we will find a place on the website to put them! If you want to scan them, use a high resolution, and on the 'color photo' setting if that is available. I can always resize them to make them smaller, but can't make low resolution scans bigger without loosing a lot of detail.
                  Paul
                  Winston-Salem, NC

Comment

[QUOTE=r1lark;523207]While we are on the subject of some of the Skytops we are trying to get more info on, here are some of them from the Skytops Mysteries section -- anyone have any info or know of these cars?

Note that the first car was advertised for sale in 1982 so don't try to call the phone number<G>
                    (Unquote)

WHY NOT? My parents still have the same phone number they've had since the 1960's, including the area code. And that's through several moves and in a rapidly expanding California town! Couldn't hurt to try...
                    KURTRUK
                    (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

[QUOTE=kurtruk;523273]
                      Originally posted by r1lark View Post
                      While we are on the subject of some of the Skytops we are trying to get more info on, here are some of them from the Skytops Mysteries section -- anyone have any info or know of these cars?

Originally posted by r1lark View Post
                      (Unquote)

WHY NOT? My parents still have the same phone number they've had since the 1960's, including the area code. And that's through several moves and in a rapidly expanding California town! Couldn't hurt to try...
                      The area code for West Covina has changed twice since that ad. It was 818 for a spell, and is now 626. :-)

Comment

Paul: 'Finally had a few minutes this afternoon to explore the updated site. It is excellent.

That has to be one of the most colorful websites extant...and so very informative. Congratulations on an fine, continuing job.

"Keep on keepin' on!" BP
                        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Working...
                        X