Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My new '51 gets the Australian treatment.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My new '51 gets the Australian treatment.

My '51 starlight that Brian put photos up of a week or so ago arrived at home last Thursday. Apart from giving it a thorough going over, then changing all the fluids on the weekend I had to change the headlights and seat belts. Apprarently headlights on a LHD vehicles throw slightly to the right at high beam, so as not to be directly in the eyes of the oncoming traffic - all to do with the position of the filiment in the reflector I'm told. Now the seat belt replacement is just a rort. Nothing wrong with the belts that came with it, but because they didn't have an Australian Design Regulation code stamped on them, out they went.
    The guy that does the compliance is coming Wednesday, to check I've done the headlights and the seat belts. He'll then engrave a compliance plate with the relevant numbers, glue it to the fire wall and charge me $300 for the priviliege. Then $100 for the Roadworthy Certificate, $1000 for the registration, (and seeing it's a new registration not a renewal), there is 2% stamp duty on the purchase price of the vehicle. But wait there's more.... fuel at present is US$5.85 / gallon here.

It must be love that I have two Studes on the road.... ;-) (or insanity)

I'll get some pics up of the '51's first run in Oz. I'm expecting lots of looks as there are only eleven 1950/51's on the road down here nation wide.
    Last edited by Aussie Hawk; 01-31-2011, 12:02 AM.
    Matt
    Brisbane
    Australia
    sigpic

Visit my Blog: http://www.mattsoilyrag.blogspot.com.au/

Greedy bastards aren't they??? Best of luck with it Matt.
    John Clements
    Christchurch, New Zealand

Comment

Matt
      Why would you have to replace the seatbelts.
      The car never came out with belts so surely they don't need to comply?
      pb

Comment

If the car has seatbelts, then they must comply
        Dave Pink
        Victoria, Australia

1916 SF Roadster
        1925 ER Tourer
        1925 Panel Delivery
        1953 Champion Sedan
        1957 Golden Hawk
        1971 Avanti II

Studebaker Car Club Of Australia Website
        http://www.studebakercarclub.net

Comment

Originally posted by 63r2 View Post
          Matt
          Why would you have to replace the seatbelts.
          The car never came out with belts so surely they don't need to comply?
          pb
          Your partially right, in Queensland vehicles mfg before '56 don't have to have seat belts if they didn't come out with them. But I chose to keep the belts in the '51, but they had to comply with ADR's. I was surprised they OK'd the flashing stop/tail lights as indicators. To the US Stude drivers, down here we have seperate amber indicators on the rear.
          Matt
          Brisbane
          Australia
          sigpic

Comment

All I can say about those costs is 'OUCH'!
            Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
            Romans 15:13
            Deuteronomy 31:6
            Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Matt, that's about $1.55 US per litre. Paying $1.05-$1.30 a litre for gasoline or diesel depending on what and where you buy it seems like a bargain <g> I guess I should stop complaining <gg>

Question: about the flasher/stop light problem, does ADR allow clear lens with amber bulbs for rear (or front) flashers, or must the lenses themselves be amber?

Comment

Originally posted by Jim B PEI View Post
                Matt, that's about $1.55 US per litre. Paying $1.05-$1.30 a litre for gasoline or diesel depending on what and where you buy it seems like a bargain <g> I guess I should stop complaining <gg>

Question: about the flasher/stop light problem, does ADR allow clear lens with amber bulbs for rear (or front) flashers, or must the lenses themselves be amber?
                You are spot on about the gas price, I filled the International PU at A$1.55 / lt - with the Aussie $ at 0.99 you can call it the same as a US$.
                RE: The indicator lenses, I had this conversation with the compliance guy when booking him in. The front indicators can be clear, preferably with amber bulbs, but not a requirement. The rear indicators can remain as part of the tail/stop, as in the US, but if seperate they must be either an amber bulb or amber lens.

Yesterday I decided to change the '51's front park/indicator bulbs to amber - couldn't find an amber double filiment bulb at any of the auto parts suppliers. They had clear and red ones (tail/stop), but no amber, probably due to the age of the car with no one using a combination indicator/park lamp bulb anymore. I ended up buying some orange nail polish and painting them.
                Matt
                Brisbane
                Australia
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Aussie Hawk View Post
                  I ended up buying some orange nail polish and painting them.
                  The bulbs or your nails???

Maybe I don't wanna know.............................
                  Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Comment

I'll get some pics up of the '51's first run in Oz. I'm expecting lots of looks as there are only eleven 1950/51's on the road down here nation wide.[/QUOTE]

You would get lots of looks here too. Not many 50/51s actually driven up here either.
                    "In the heart of Arkansas."
                    Searcy, Arkansas
                    1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
                    1952 2R pickup

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Andrews View Post
                      The bulbs or your nails???

Maybe I don't wanna know.............................
                      The Bulbs ! But it was such a pretty colour I did my toe nails as well. ;-) The colour goes with my eyes.....
                      Matt
                      Brisbane
                      Australia
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Aussie Hawk View Post
                        The Bulbs ! But it was such a pretty colour I did my toe nails as well. ;-) The colour goes with my eyes.....
                        Proud NON-CASO

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Comment

Matt, it sounds like you're having a lot of fun with your 'new' car....either that or the nail polish fumes have gone to your head.
                          Any chance you (or another) can record a video of your first drive in this car and post on YouTube? Be sure to show us your toe nails if you do.
                          sigpic
                          In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

Originally posted by Milaca View Post
                            Matt, it sounds like you're having a lot of fun with your 'new' car....either that or the nail polish fumes have gone to your head.
                            Any chance you (or another) can record a video of your first drive in this car and post on YouTube? Be sure to show us your toe nails if you do.
                            I'll certainly try, great idea. Even though I don't know how to do it, I'll ask a computer savvy friend.
                            Matt
                            Brisbane
                            Australia
                            sigpic

Comment

Hi Matt, why are you getting the car complianced? I have never known any Stude owner in Queensland to have needed to do so on an unmodified vehicle before. I understand the deal about the seatbelts. Some of the other regulations (eg. red flashing tail lights) have even been 'relaxed' in recent years but compliancing is usually only required for modified or RHD converted vehicles. Even then it is not always done. Don't believe averything you are told!

Chris.

Comment

Working...
                              X