Avanti Engine ID help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Avanti Engine ID help

I'm considering a 63 Avanti, which the owner indicates the original engine was replaced at 98,000. The block #1554641 was supplied to the current owner as being an NOS engine from a "Brooks Stevens" in Indiana. Obviously as a relative newbie here, I wouldn't have any way of knowing who that is or was, does any one knows of him? It was put in the early 70's but that number doesn't fit any info I can find on block identification. Also from the photos I am looking at, that doesn't seem to be the # stamped on the block in front of the valley cover. The car is located about 6 hours drive from me, and I don't want to go see it myself if it's just a R2 dressed up 259. Any help would be appreciated.

Fred

Without the stamped number, it's hard to tell. The casting number does not help.
    JDP Maryland

Comment

As John said, you need the stamped engine number for ID.

Brooks Stevens was an industrial designer that worked for Studebaker in the 1960s. He had nothing to do with Avanti design. He may have had a spare Avanti engine. The first Excalibur had an R2.
      Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

You have no choice but to get someone to look at the top left front corner of the block, on the flat machined surface to read the Engine Number. Or better yet, send you a close-up Pic.
        There is even a possibility that being a New replacement Block, it is blank.

In that case, it will take a Studebaker knowledgeable SDC Club Member nearby (if a helpful one exists) to examine the other Engine Parts for some sign of a Real R1 or R2 Engine.
        Last edited by StudeRich; 01-31-2011, 12:01 AM.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Thanks guys. The owner is going back to the car today and taking a picture of the stamped block numbers and will send it to me. Keep you posted.

Fred

Comment

Working...
          X