60 Hawk Air Cleaner Options

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 60 Hawk Air Cleaner Options

I have a 60 Hawk which was missing the stock air cleaner when I got it, and I have not been able to source one NOS or used. It presently has one of those speed shop style air cleaners with the two pie plates and the open element sandwiched between them. This works fine, but I hate it because it's noisy (you can plainly hear the air sucking in under open throttle conditions.)

To add to the issues, this car has a Mark IV air conditioner in place, which may be why the stock air cleaner is missing, although I don't see why it wouldn't have fit.

This setup uses the stock WCFB 4 barrel carburetor.

Years ago I would have just gone to a wrecking yard with a tape measure and found some 1960's brand X air cleaner assembly which would fit. But these days, the yards are full of imports and plastic cars from the 1990's.

Has anybody run across an air cleaner assembly which has an enclosed element which works in this application? It looks like an early 60's Buick small block air cleaner might (barely) fit except that those usually had AFB's and I can't remember if the WCFB has the same air horn opening dimension. The car is never going to be totally stock so I'm not worried about using a non-original part on it.

This post a few below yours has all the answers.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I saw that but there weren't any pictures or part numbers. I'll see if I can track them down.

Comment

All the WCFB, Rochester 4Jet and early AFBs had the same air horn diameter. Just find an air filter from most anything GM or Mopar with a 4-bbl up through the late '60s with the right height and diameter.

jack vines
        PackardV8

Comment

Rich's idea looks like a solution but I am too cheap to pay $ 250 with shipping for a new air cleaner for a car like this one! I should have warned you.

It looks like eBay may actually turn up a junkyard-grade stock air cleaner sooner or later, which would always be preferable to cobbling something from a Brand-X in, and I hadn't thought of that earlier.

Thanks for confirming my recollection about the air horn diameter, Jack. I will get out the tape measure and see how much room there is, because of the A/C compressor. I am starting to conclude that some fool just threw the air cleaner out for no reason, not because it wouldn't fit.

Comment

I have a Hawk 4V air cleaner in my stock of about 50 or 60 air cleaners

Comment

Sent you a PM...

Comment

Originally posted by Geoff Fors View Post
                I have a 60 Hawk... It presently has one of those speed shop style air cleaners with the two pie plates and the open element sandwiched between them. This works fine, but I hate it because it's noisy (you can plainly hear the air sucking in under open throttle conditions.)
                AKA the "Giant Sucking Sound"

I guess this is one of those "diff'rent strokes" kind of things...

nate
                --
                55 Commander Starlight
                http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

IMMIC,,,,The WCFB carbs and the early AFB carbs share the same diameter opening of 4&1/8th". The later model stuff uses a 5&1/8th". Hope this helps.

Dan Miller
                  Auburn, GA

Comment

Working...
                  X