Cam Installation Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cam Installation Question

Continued work on my engine this morning. My reground cam came in this week so I decided to install it. New cam bearings were installed by the machine shop.

I made sure the bearing and cam surfaces were clean and applied some assembly lube to all surfaces. I slid the cam in and everything felt normal most of the way in. When the cam was about 1/8" from being in all the way in, it turned nice and free. When I push it the rest of the way in (to the point where the locking plate holds it) the cam becomes tight and doesn't turn easy anymore.

I put my old cam in and it does the same thing.

Do I have a cam bearing problem? Never installed one before so not sure how free it should turn.
    Wayne
    "Trying to shed my CASO ways"

sigpic

You may need to take the block and cam to the shop and have them fit it for you.

Comment

Sounds like one bearing (the last one) has a burr, or maybe is a little cocked.

I don't suggest "fitting" the cam. If this means removing any material from a bearing surface...unless it is just a small burr. It could bit you in the butt down the road with low oil pressure.

Best to as noted, have your machinest recheck and replace as required.

Mike

Comment

Not Stude-specific, but I have always liked the shop to assemble the lower end for me, for just this reason. If there's a problem they're right there to A. See for themselves it wasn't a problem I created by screwing something up and B. It's already where the equipment to correct a problem is. The cost to have them do it is usually not much, and well worth it- especially when a problem crops up. They do it every day, so they know how to avoid the pitfalls, like double-checking clearances, not touching bearing surfaces with your fingers, not accidentally damaging a ring on assembly, getting the cam degreed correctly, etc.

Food for thought for the future.
        Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
        Romans 15:13
        Deuteronomy 31:6
        Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

If you want to know where it is tight, get some machinist's dye called Prussian blue. Paint all the journal surfaces with it, install the cam, rotate it a couple of turns and withdraw it. The tight spots should have the bluing wiped off the journal.

jack vines
          PackardV8

Comment

Working...
          X