Finally made it to Studebakers West

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finally made it to Studebakers West

There's nothing I detest more than driving in the San Fransisco Bay area. However, that said, it was altogether a good trip to finally meet the fellas at Studebakers West.

Click image for larger version

Name:	S6301100.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	68.6 KB
ID:	1732984Click image for larger version

Name:	S6301101.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	92.5 KB
ID:	1732985

All the same, the worst was dealing with the typically horrible traffic and the fog. Other than that it was a wonderful trip and the fellows at Studebakers West were a lot of fun to meet. I had to take Bess' transmissions down so that one could be made serviceable. Then we tackle the brakes, oh.. joy. Hopefully, she will be up to snuff by Easter.

Taking this trip had another benefit in that it reminded me why I live in B.F.E. California. After dealing with the traffic, fog, and poorly marked interchanges, the issues of dial-up internet, and goats eating my roses seems like a small price to pay.
    Last edited by studeclunker; 01-28-2011, 09:06 PM.
    Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
    K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
    Ron Smith
    Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Cool! Tell "Uncle Carl" that Tom Elliott and I said Hello!

Comment

Studebakers West built the replacement wiring harness for my Champion. It was very nicely done. What kind of neighborhood is their building in?
      John
      1950 Champion
      W-3 4 Dr. Sedan
      Holdrege NE

Comment

Originally posted by Lothar View Post
        Studebakers West built the replacement wiring harness for my Champion. It was very nicely done. What kind of neighborhood is their building in?
        Can you say Downtown, Industrial/Business Complex a block from a Major Freeway?
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Rich: How is Herman doing after his finger infection scare during Phoenix/Glendale? Serious business, the infection he got at home from a splinter in an old wooden skid before leaving, that required immediate attention and surgery during the International Meet in Phoenix/Glendale. Does he seem to be doing OK? BP
          We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

the building is very convenient to the freeway and easy to get to. I found out that it was easier to go straight out and make a left, back the way I came rather than the other way down main... Ah well, live and learn. I wanted to look at the Cruiser. The place is situated in a very nice business park surrounded by a very nice looking neighborhood.

Both of the fellas looked great. I'm still getting their names mixed, but I believe it was Hermann working on the (Gorgeous, just gorgeous) blue '53-4 sedan. He looked fine and was very pre-occupied with what seemed to be a rather thorny problem. Carl (I think?) was handling the counter and the phone kept interrupting us. That was okay, though a secretary might be a big help for him. Where they would put her is beyond me though, LOL! I think they need a bigger building.
            Last edited by studeclunker; 01-29-2011, 09:32 AM.
            Ron Smith

Comment

Originally posted by studeclunker View Post

Both of the fellas looked great. I'm still getting their names mixed, but I believe it was Hermann working on the (Gorgeous, just gorgeous) blue '53-4 sedan. He looked fine and was very pre-occupied with what seemed to be a rather thorny problem. Carl (I think?) was handling the counter and the phone kept interrupting us. That was okay, though a secretary might be a big help for him. Where they would put her is beyond me though, LOL! I think they need a bigger building.
              They are pretty easy to tell apart, Ron; they don't look at all alike.

Carl is the larger of the two; balding, with a lighter complexion. Herman has a much slighter build and is the quieter of the two. It would stand to reason that Harman would be working on a car while Carl was on the phone, so you probably have them right in your report. BP
              We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Yeah, well... I'm not good with names, Bob.
                Last edited by studeclunker; 01-29-2011, 12:53 PM. Reason: remove sig. line
                Ron Smith

Comment

Originally posted by studeclunker View Post
                  Yeah, well... I'm not good with names, Bob.
                  At least here on the forum, if one calls another by the name of 'Bob', you stand a pretty good chance of being correct.
                  sigpic
                  In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

the Forum's easy, everyone's labeled!
                    Last edited by studeclunker; 01-29-2011, 07:10 PM. Reason: remove sig. line
                    Ron Smith

Comment

Studebakers West

Larger buildings are like secreterys- they can eat up what little revenue that Studebaker parts bring in

Comment

Any one other than Carl or Herman in there would just screw up every thing and they would never get things done, I found the rest room once, this is only some of the parts they own, and they keep talking about retiring, but I guess buying more parts lots is what is really in the back of their mines, Use them or loose them and then what????
                        Candbstudebakers
                        Castro Valley,
                        California

Comment

Studeclunker

is okay if I use that pic of Carl in article I am working about StudeWest? .... I keep forgetting to get a pic of them guys ..

Carl is the 411 of the Studebaker world ... always smiling and taking things in stride .. he walked me through many a tight spot and got me parts overnight ...

they don't have a fax machine .. (they borrow the one upstairs) and they have someone relaying emails ...

and I don't think either one of them have ever been on this forum ..... they spend all their time helping people and fixing Studes

some grumble about parts prices but if it weren't for those two guys .. many of a Stude wouldn't be on the road today ..

anybody have the date of their next parking lot swap meet???
                          John
                          Folsom CA

"Lone Dog ... No Woof"

www.cruisinnews.com

www.SacramentoSwapMeet.com

Comment

In May but the dates slip my mind, just because I am the president of the chapter does not mean I can remember every thing, I will think of it before the meet.
                            Candbstudebakers
                            Castro Valley,
                            California

Comment

Bob, that comes with old age. I should know.
                              Fred

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X