Frame availability

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frame availability

With all of the talk of bad frames lately (black and silver wagon), did Sasco have any Lark frames (or does SI) ??
    My 63 2 door sedan frame looks ok but there are a couple of questionable spots that look more pitted than I would like, especially since I plan on putting just a wee bit more horsepower to the rear wheels.
    Jamie McLeod
    Hope Mills, NC

1963 Lark "Ugly Betty"
    1958 Commander "Christine"
    1964 Wagonaire "Louise"
    1955 Commander Sedan
    1964 Champ
    1960 Lark

Nostalgia Motors in Michigan had new rails made up but not complete frames. They specialize in Avantis so they would work on a 63 Lark. Ed

Comment

What about rails for a Hawk? '61?

JK

Comment

Originally posted by starliner62 View Post
        With all of the talk of bad frames lately (black and silver wagon), did Sasco have any Lark frames (or does SI) ??
        My 63 2 door sedan frame looks ok but there are a couple of questionable spots that look more pitted than I would like, especially since I plan on putting just a wee bit more horsepower to the rear wheels.
        If your frame is just pitted there is no reason to replace it. I've seen frames with complete rust through to the point of risking mechanical integrity. Some people sandblast them and then have new metal welded in to re box the bad frame area. If your frame is just pitted have it sand blasted then you can repair any small spots if needed but must likely from your description it can then be primed and painted or better yet have it powder coated.
        sigpic
        John
        63R-2386
        Resto-Mod by Michael Myer

Comment

A few years ago I offered to SI all the extra Lark frames I had but Ed. was not interested so they were cut up and scrapped, all I saved was the "X" member from the wagons, most people know that I had frames in fact I made 2 trips east with frames for free delivery sold all the hawk frames, I now have 4 more hawk frames GT and only one 64 Daytona 2 door but that has a buyer on it waiting until the next trip east for free delivery but not sure when that will be might try and get it there to Springfield in June but with the motor home not sure if I can...
          Candbstudebakers
          Castro Valley,
          California

Comment

Originally posted by 3x2stude View Post
            What about rails for a Hawk? '61?JK
            There are no NEW Stude. frames left, and no rails except as noted above, if still available.
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by candbstudebakers View Post
              most people know that I had frames in fact I made 2 trips east with frames for free delivery sold all the hawk frames,
              Bob, remember the one I picked up from you in Lancaster in '08 for a member? It's still here leaning against the garage wall. Haven't heard a word from the buyer, don't remember who it even was. I agreed to pick it up and store it free of charge; did and still am, no problem, just surprised I never heard a word since... I'm easy to find here on the forum most every day, so that's not it. Wonder what happened?
              Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
              Romans 15:13
              Deuteronomy 31:6
              Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

This is just about what you are looking for Jaime...

Originally posted by starliner62 View Post
                HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Originally posted by okc63avanti View Post
                  I...... it can then be primed and painted or better yet have it powder coated.
                  It is not my intention to start an argument here. I spent many years selling and installing industrial finishing systems. Powder coating is not always the best coating solution. It is not just the chemistry of the product to be considered, but the geometry of the part to be coated as well.

Powder coating is an electrostatic process. Unlike liquid products, powder has no surface tension capabilities and depends mainly on the electrostatic attraction for build and adhesion until the baking process begins. This is where powder coating of frames can become problematic. Due to the geometry of frames with right angles, recesses, and enclosed areas..."Faraday Cage" effect causes difficulty in getting complete coverage.

Before going to the expense of powder coating, I would recommend you research and gain a good understanding of the Faraday Cage effect as related to electrostatic coating applications.
                  John Clary
                  Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

I have a few frames I plan to bring East, but like both Bobs are saying- the trip is expensive and time consuming. If I could get 3 or more orders and people actually picked them up I might bring some East.

If they paid for the trip I'd be surprised.

Comment

If someone convenient to you has a good frame with an X-member, then use it.

From your description, your frame is better than most, It is easier to sandblast and reinforce your existing frame than haul one across country. What you will find when you get the frame stripped is it is really, really light. The X-member alone weighs about as much as a standard frame. I've made several X-members out of lighter gauge steel which worked fine. Don't forget to reinforce and weld the areas around the front spring and upper A-arm mounting points. With modern sticky radials, many Studes crack there.

jack vines
                      PackardV8

Comment

Just to be going and take some frames east in a wash most of the time, each time I did it I had a reason to be going that way, one time I did make the trip to Reedsvile but every thing I took was already sold and paid for and Ian my friend from Australia came and went with me and we had a super trip plus made some money doing it, that trip I sold 10 frames for $500.00 each with free delivery to the swap or along the way and even on the way back we went a different route so delivered what ever was left on the trailer, 10 frames on a single car trailer takes up most of the room, but we did have room for a lot of other items in the truck and and in every crack and crevice on the trailer, the 2nd trip was to the national in Lancaster Pa. gas was up over the Reedsvile trip so had to get $600.00 a frame then and only took 4 but still had "C" cab body's (2) beds, fenders, doors, and a full load, we do know how to pack and get the most out of the space we have Ian also went with me on the trip, most people that make the nationals know or have talked to Ian, super friend and glad we became friends in 2002 in South Bend when he needed a load of things he bought shipped to the west coast, my trailer was empty because I had once again pre-sold every thing I brought back to South Bend, been friends ever since and have made many trips together. so to just make a trip to be bringing a few frames is a wash, I counted the one ones I have left and have a 56 golden hawk, a 56 power hawk, 3 Gt, 1 64 Daytona, 1 66 cruiser and 1 63 wagon with the big "X" member, cut up 40 when Studebaker international was not interested, it was his choice not to pay for the shipping and storage until people need them, same reason I didn't and could not hang on to them any longer...by the way Bob that frame you have in your yard belongs to a man in Canada by the name of Duncan Mckay, I might have his number but he might be in the roster also, try this number 905-845-7453
                        Candbstudebakers
                        Castro Valley,
                        California

Comment

Working...
                        X