53 Commander Convertable

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 53 Commander Convertable

Just recently saw Denis Guage feature a custom 53 Commander convertible, The guy used Hawk rear quarters and fenders with the 53 Commander hood & grill. WOW ! I'm a purist when it comes to my 63GT Hawk, but i've always thought it would make a sweet rag-top or even just as good ,a removable top, much like early Mercedes,( although it'll be heavy). Apparently he used a rag-top assy. from a early Dodge Dart.
    I'd love to know any details involved in such a change, especially any changes to the rigidity.

Brian

If you use the search function in the upper right hand corner, I think you'll find a fair amount of discussion on the 'vert.

Bob

Comment

Sounds like Steve Hudson's beauty in living The Dalles, OR. Correct? If so, Dennis (who claims to be a Stude guy) said Steve's car was the most beautiful Stude he had ever seen. The only other one I have seen to hold a candle to this car is Pat Dilling's STU COOL. But then I think red 53's are the ultimate.
      Tim-'53 Starlight Commander Custom in Yuma, AZ
      jimsrodshop.com/project/53-resurrection

Comment

In the mid 50's I went to an Indy car race at Darlington, S.C. (that's right) and a 53 Commander convertible showed up in the pits.. I remember it had a fold down hard top with extended quarter panels and a Continental spare tire mounted on the back.. That was one LLLooonnngg car!!

Comment

That would be this one I believe, here is Steve Hudson's '53 at Good-Guys in Pleasanton in Aug 2009

Pat Dilling
          Olivehurst, CA
          Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

Hey Pat, did Steve rake back the windscreen pillars slightly and has he done a small chop top on the frame as well. Did he also use a Dodge Dart convertible top frame? Are those Packard wire wheels he is running?
            Beautiful car I would like to build one myself, maybe out of a local silver hawk shell (cheap to buy).
            Regards Brian.
            Brian Greenall
            Melbourne, OZ
            sigpic

Comment

Meeting and visiting with Dennis was a real thrill, and he's every bit as much a character off camera as on. A '56 Hawk provided the frame and main body shell, with the front & rear sheemetal from a '53 Coupe. I cut the windshield and raked back per the "Gentleman's Chop"-same as Pat's. '64 Dodge Dart was used for all convertible components, quarter windows and windshield header. Wheels are copies of the T-Bird Kelsey Hays wires, available through Wheel Vintiques and Coker.

Steve Hudson
              The Dalles, Oregon
              1949 \"GMOBaker\" 1-T Dually (workhorse)
              1953 Commander Convertible (show & go)
              1953 "Studacudallac" (project)

Comment

[QUOTE=packardHawk58;522031Beautiful car I would like to build one myself, maybe out of a local silver hawk shell (cheap to buy).
                Regards Brian.[/QUOTE]

Unless you have one of the rare (424 built) Silver Hawk hardtops (K body) that were built for export, I can't see making a convertible from a regular Silver Hawk coupe (C body). You should really start with a 1953-1964 K body hardtop to build a convertible.
                Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Yeah you are right Studegary, we have a few cheap Gt shells that could be used, I want to change the panel that is in between the trunklid and back seat to an early Hawk panel not like a late Gt which is flat. It would be easier to do that than make a pillared car into a Hardtop shell.
                  Brian Greenall
                  Melbourne, OZ
                  sigpic

Comment

Working...
                  X