PDA

View Full Version : Please Don't Shoot the Messenger

Studedude
01-24-2011, 07:43 PM
Stumbled across this little jewel this afternoon:
http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r113/DavesPlace_photos/Kicker/kicker06.jpg
Checked it out, and learned that a local company is going to build a show car out of it.

The plan is to use the body parts, and EVERYTHING else will be disposed of. That's the bad news.

The good news is that the rolling chassis, engine, drive line, including any and everything they do not use will be given away FREE to anybody that wants to pick the items up. It was implied I could possibly take the car and strip what I wanted, if I would return the body and parts they intend to use. I'm not up to that.

They have also purchased a rotisserie to mount the body on during the process, so I would suggest that anybody that was interested in the parts work a deal to pick up the chassis and other available items after they remove the body from the frame. (All or nothing.)

Based on the rust-free condition of the body, I suspect that the rest of the car should be in pretty good shape. More pics here:
http://s142.photobucket.com/albums/r113/DavesPlace_photos/Kicker/

It is not my intent to endorse what is happening to this car. My hope is that some good parts are saved, helping to keep one or more original cars on the road.

barnlark
01-24-2011, 08:37 PM
Great tip, Dave. I'll pass that on to someone very interested. Most people know not to shoot at you anyway.

Studedude
01-24-2011, 08:44 PM
Great tip, Dave. I'll pass that on to someone very interested. Most people know not to shoot at you anyway.
:o
Appreciate it, Dave!

BobPalma
01-24-2011, 09:24 PM
This doesn't sound at all like the end of the world, Dave.

Bullet-nose sedans are like early R-series 1949-1953 pickup trucks: There are 'way more of them around than will ever be absorbed by the Studebaker hobby before they rust away or are baled. It would be my opinion (not that you asked) that what is going on here will be beneficial, especially in that they will permit the proper recycling (into Studebakerdom) of pieces not used.

Good all around. BP

Studedude
01-24-2011, 09:36 PM
This doesn't sound at all like the end of the world, Dave.
I know you are right, Bob. But, it sure is a nice, rust free example, not one I would modify.

But, as our friend Dick Steinkamp would say, "Why should a rodder be expected to start with a rust bucket?"

clonelark
01-25-2011, 02:57 AM
Looks like it already has a black eye.<G>

studegary
01-25-2011, 01:13 PM
I am surprized that they are starting with a two door sedan and didn't seek out a Starlight.
I think that it will be good for Studebaker in that they are keeping the body to represent Studebaker on the road and in shows.

Studedude
01-25-2011, 01:56 PM
I am surprized that they are starting with a two door sedan and didn't seek out a Starlight.
I think that it will be good for Studebaker in that they are keeping the body to represent Studebaker on the road and in shows.
The company rep that purchased the car did express disappointment that he had not held out for a Starlight. OTOH, he decided that the sedan would be more unusual on the show circuit. I doubt this car will see any road time, it's being built as a promotional show car.

Steve T
01-25-2011, 08:49 PM
I realize it's a year early (pre-V8)...but could this chassis be a donor for Chris's Model N project??

S.

Chris_Dresbach
01-27-2011, 03:26 PM
I realize it's a year early (pre-V8)...but could this chassis be a donor for Chris's Model N project??

S.

It would be a good start! What would be ideal for that project though is a '53 chassis and a '51 front end. I would be interested in it if it was closer.

Lothar
01-27-2011, 09:47 PM
Dave
Do you know anything about the condition of the engine? Does it have an OD tranny?

okc63avanti
01-27-2011, 09:58 PM

http://i429.photobucket.com/albums/qq16/okc63avanti/MISC/DONTTASEMEBRO.jpg

Studedude
01-28-2011, 07:51 PM
Dave
Do you know anything about the condition of the engine? Does it have an OD tranny?
John, I will have to take another look at the car to see if it has an OD. I should have thought to check that out when I first saw the car.

As to engine condition, etc., I will ask permission to take pics of "hidden" areas of the car. I will visit with the contact person again, just to make sure he is ready for me to share his contact information with interested parties. I don't think he will mind, but I think it will be a while before they are ready to start disassembly of the car, and I don't know if he is ready to make a commitment to anybody yet on handing over the parts.

I don't know if they winched the car up onto the trailer, or drove it, but I will find out.

My instinct is that the first person that steps up and offers to come and get the items will own them, as soon as they are available.

I also understand that although the parts are free, you have some distance to travel to take possession of them, and that costs time and money.

Hopefully, we can find out if what is there is worth the effort for you, or someone else, if it does not work out for you.

I shall attempt to answer your questions soon, but we are going into the week-end, the business that has the car is closed... and, it looks like my job might get in the way early next week, as we might get hammered by severe winter weather and the bad JU-JU that comes along with it. :rolleyes:

Studedude
01-28-2011, 08:03 PM
I don't carry a taser.

When shooting in self defense, one must be armed with at least equal weaponry as his assailant. ;)

sweetolbob
01-28-2011, 08:19 PM
I don't carry a taser.

When shooting in self defense, one must be armed with at least equal weaponry as his assailant. ;)

Kinda like Steve Lee, Pretty hard to out gun him too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TC2xTCb_GU

Bob

Lothar
02-01-2011, 11:27 PM
I don't think that either one of us need to venture out to look at car parts right now, Studedude. Here its -9*F with 30- 40 MPH North winds. It might not be that cold in OK, but I hear you have more snow and ICE. It would make sense for someone closer to snag this chassis, but if there isn't any local interest, Ill find a way to get it. I just can't haul it home for a few weeks. Thanks for your efforts!

Lothar
02-01-2011, 11:33 PM
Sweet ol' Bob
Thanks so much for sharing the music video, I haven't seen it before. It pretty much sums up my attitaude towards guns. My son will love it, too. I would have liked to have seen him fire that recoilless rifle. I think that those are the ULTIMATE weapon of choice for target shooting :) Tough to score the targets, though.

Studedude
02-02-2011, 11:19 AM
I don't think that either one of us need to venture out to look at car parts right now, Studedude. Here its -9*F with 30- 40 MPH North winds. It might not be that cold in OK, but I hear you have more snow and ICE. It would make sense for someone closer to snag this chassis, but if there isn't any local interest, Ill find a way to get it. I just can't haul it home for a few weeks. Thanks for your efforts!

4 degrees this morning. Driveway drifted over, left work truck at P.D. last night, getting dropped off and picked up for duty at the end of the driveway. :-( This is what I found yesterday when I went to check the drive:
http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r113/DavesPlace_photos/Feb%20Snow/477.jpg
(My assistant sat down on the job while trying to measure the drift.)

Anyhoo, looking forward to getting you and the parts together!

Studedude
02-03-2011, 03:33 PM
Dave
Took this pic today. methinks it has OD:
http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r113/DavesPlace_photos/Kicker/OD2.jpg
When I asked about the engine, I got the, "Ran when parked," answer. <G>

Bob Andrews
02-03-2011, 05:10 PM
Poor old girl. Kudos for trying to find a home for the remains.