PDA

View Full Version : Super nice Lark, slightly silly ad:)

Bob Andrews
01-22-2011, 06:01 PM
Gorgeous car, and a very nice ad; just the text is over-the-top sillyhttp://serve.mysmiley.net/animated/anim_61.gif:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Studebaker-CALIFORNIACLASSIX-1962-Studebaker-Lark-VIII-50-PIX-/160536193703?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item2560b3eaa7

Jim B PEI
01-22-2011, 06:07 PM
Instead of locked and loaded, its "Lark'ed and loaded" with that >bullet 259< V! 8! brought to you by the --who else?-- the Bullet Nose People. And nobody knows bullets like bullet nose people know bullets.

Yup, nice car. And I agree fully with your description of their description :D

JDP
01-22-2011, 06:08 PM
Instead of locked and loaded, its "Lark'ed and loaded" with that >bullet 259< V! 8! brought to you by the --who else?-- the Bullet Nose People. And nobody knows bullets like bullet nose people know bullets.

Yup, nice car. And I agree fully with your description of their description :D

Over the top for us perhaps, but I think it's very nicely done.

Bob Andrews
01-22-2011, 06:20 PM
I agree it's well done, it's just that the selller's trying TOO hard, and that always makes me suspicious. Experience has shown that sometimes that many superlatives and all the overly flowery prose is the trademark of a shyster. Not always, but sometimes.

Dougie
01-22-2011, 06:22 PM
With that kind of sales pitch, I wonder if it's owned by Ron Popiel? The Studebaker "Lark-o-Matic". You can't buy it in stores. And if you act now we'll throw in a NOS Studebaker grille!

FlatheadGeo
01-22-2011, 06:27 PM
Maybe the poster is a Professor of Modern English and Prose!

clonelark
01-23-2011, 01:19 AM
He offered a test drive, so if someone was serious enough about buying, he would have a very nice car to own. Nice cars bring nice prices.

junior
01-23-2011, 09:06 AM
Enthusiastic brilliance…wish more ebay ads were like this, it actually made me pay attention to a car that I normally would have no intention to do so in the first place. BTW, sure wish my car had such a rust-free chassis, what a joy to work on! Thanks for sharing. Junior

Pat Dilling
01-23-2011, 09:21 AM
Extremely well done, and the offer of fish tacos and cerveza to the buyer if they pick it up is the finishing touch. It really does look like a nice drivable car. Hope it goes to a good home.

Pat

Corvanti
01-23-2011, 09:50 AM
Cool ad!!!
it sure beats the one sentence with misspelled words, 4 - 10 year old pics that some folks put up... :rolleyes:

bob40
01-23-2011, 09:55 AM
Guess I better limit my prose in my ads to no more than 2 syllable words and Joe Friday(just the facts ma'am) the text to avoid being confused with a shyster.No misspelled words or grammatical errors.It may be be slightly over the top but in a lightly whimsical way.I think the frame pics are a great addition.

ddub
01-23-2011, 10:34 AM
I think this is an outstanding job of promoting. So many ads just make no attempt. This is well thought out, well written, well designed and illustrated. Helps you overlook the cars flaws. Very professional.

StudeRich
01-23-2011, 01:49 PM
Yes, I agree it is a very well done promotion of a very nice car! I can tell from the documentation in this ad, that the former owner was a long time very dedicated Studebaker Enthusiast, and probably a SDC Club Member.

Maybe Tom in Santa Barbara knows of this Car. There used to be a Ventura County area Chapter of the SDC. :)

JDP
01-23-2011, 02:01 PM
The ad sort of reminded me of Sal's comment about the Avanti we just sold when talking about the mint interior. He said something like he would check the date on his IPhone to make sure he was not back in the 60's. I thought about not using that quote since it was a little over the top. On second thought, I recalled the moments I got behind the wheel of a old car and was taken back to my youth for a moment, so I kept it. The ebay listing under discussion, just made me feel all warm and fuzzy about the car. Sure, I grinned now and than while reading "muscle car" and the like, but it was a fun read.

Steve T
01-23-2011, 08:34 PM
Ahhhh...that's more or less how my '62 would once have looked. Riviera Blue from the look of it, though, or maybe Alaskan, rather than the Metallic Blue mine was when new. That's one thorough ad! (He does quote the six as 90hp; every other ref I've seen says 112hp, but who cares, since the car on offer is an eight.)

S.

Steven and Michelle
01-24-2011, 03:34 PM
VERY attractive car... sad to see so little money offered...

JDP
01-24-2011, 04:35 PM
VERY attractive car... sad to see so little money offered...

Now that was silly, I was high bidder at $1200 but no where near the reserve. I know the bread and butter cars are cheap, but the bidding on this one was just sad for the owner and the hobby.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/160536193703

Steven and Michelle
01-24-2011, 04:52 PM
I very much agree at that JDP (and not only because I have two 62 two doors) if the car had been from Detroit in that condition the $$$ would likely have stacked up a lot further...
Again, VERY nice car. Nothing at all against the closing high bid (that is how auctions work, after all) just seems should have garnered more attention...

JDP
01-24-2011, 05:06 PM
I very much agree at that JDP (and not only because I have two 62 two doors) if the car had been from Detroit in that condition the $$$ would likely have stacked up a lot further...
Again, VERY nice car. Nothing at all against the closing high bid (that is how auctions work, after all) just seems should have garnered more attention...

I felt bad for the owner and his car, and wrote him a short note saying just that, and hoping he tries again. I about to buy a 2 door in similar shape for twice the money, but am a bit fearful now.

Steven and Michelle
01-24-2011, 05:15 PM
Twice the money for same shape is still a great buy, IMHO. Look what just a paint job would cost...
Studes are still way less than half what Detroit iron runs for price when you compare cars in equal shape...
Neither one of mine was even close to the shape this one was in (though mine are quite decent presentable cars) and I paid much more dearly for them. Doesn't make them worth any more that what someone else would pay for them, and I know it. Part of what makes Studebakering fun is the affordability factor... but it is a double edged sword as it sucks they aren't worth more.

Bob Andrews
01-24-2011, 05:44 PM
I felt bad for the owner and his car, and wrote him a short note saying just that, and hoping he tries again. I about to buy a 2 door in similar shape for twice the money, but am a bit fearful now.

Another fluke. Same as the $100K GH at the B-J auction. That car hit a rare star alignment to draw more than double what previous recent comparables have been selling for. It's doubtful another one like it would draw anywhere near what that one did...

This Lark was just like the GH, only in a different direction. Drew less than half of what previous recent comparables have been. I still think one can go too far with the superlatives and turn off/scare off potential buyers. Might be the case here.

Another theory: When buyers buy high-end cars they hire enclosed transports and have them delivered to nice buildings, and write checks any time of the year they choose. Most buyers of low end or entry-level cars have to plan their funds to buy something, plus come up with transport costs. Then, they have to have space to put it, which may not be available in the Winter. On top of that, some have to actually ask permission of a spouse, who might put the kibosh on it, where high-end buyers usually don't have that problem. Put that all together and it can actually be harder to sell a clean lower-end car that a big buck unit.

I'll bet if the seller waits till the end of March or beginning of April, he will double what was bid this time. That, and tone down the rhetoric a couple notches:)

Skinnys Garage
01-24-2011, 06:20 PM
I wouldn't feel too sorry for the seller without knowing the whole story. It looks to me like the "10 day auction" lasted about 2 or 3 days before it was ended. Usually when that happens, the car was sold outside E-Bay. Personally, I'd have let the auction run to the end. If it did sell outside E-Bay, they might have left some money on the table.

JDP
01-24-2011, 06:33 PM
I wouldn't feel too sorry for the seller without knowing the whole story. It looks to me like the "10 day auction" lasted about 2 or 3 days before it was ended. Usually when that happens, the car was sold outside E-Bay. Personally, I'd have let the auction run to the end. If it did sell outside E-Bay, they might have left some money on the table.

Well, that's much better news. He must have sold it off ebay for a unknown amount.

JDP
01-24-2011, 07:32 PM
OK, seller e-mail me saying the car sold for 6K, so he's happy.

JunkYardDog
01-24-2011, 11:16 PM
it's pure South Bend muscle! O.K. Grant you it's up to the challenge of being driven at todays highway speeds, but to call it a Muscle car ? It is truely a fantastic advertisement, Somebody really put some time and energy into it.

Bob Andrews
01-25-2011, 04:43 AM
This seller also has a VERY nice '64 Galaxie wagon for sale; and interestingly, the over-the-top rhetoric is not present- IMO just about right:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ford-Galaxie-Wagon-CALIFORNIACLASSIX-64-Ford-Country-Sedan-Station-Wagon-/160535326288?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item2560a6ae50

BobPalma
01-25-2011, 06:29 AM
This seller also has a VERY nice '64 Galaxie wagon for sale; and interestingly, the over-the-top rhetoric is not present- IMO just about right:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ford-Galaxie-Wagon-CALIFORNIACLASSIX-64-Ford-Country-Sedan-Station-Wagon-/160535326288?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item2560a6ae50

Wow, Bob; I wonder what he towed with that thing! That is one serious hitch welded up underneath the car, and the huge coil-over shocks helping the rear springs attest to some serious tow duty.

Did anyone notice the Studebaker wording used in the ad? What was it? BP

Bob Andrews
01-25-2011, 07:20 AM
Wow, Bob; I wonder what he towed with that thing! BP[/B]

The ad says a Sears aluminum boat. Bet it did that without complaint!:)

Corvanti
01-25-2011, 08:03 AM
Wow, Bob; I wonder what he towed with that thing! That is one serious hitch welded up underneath the car, and the huge coil-over shocks helping the rear springs attest to some serious tow duty.

Did anyone notice the Studebaker wording used in the ad? What was it? BP

i'll take "jet thrust" taillights for $200, Bob... :)

BobPalma
01-25-2011, 10:48 AM
i'll take "jet thrust" taillights for $200, Bob... :)

BINGO! Let's see; there is some Monopoly Money around here somewhere....

studegary
01-25-2011, 01:38 PM

Hopefully it is a two door hardtop and not a two door sedan.

studelark
01-25-2011, 07:49 PM
I agree it's well done, it's just that the selller's trying TOO hard, and that always makes me suspicious. Experience has shown that sometimes that many superlatives and all the overly flowery prose is the trademark of a shyster. Not always, but sometimes.

Bob; I can appreciate what you're saying. I wonder why, if he knows anything about Studebakers, the cowl tag body code and body number were never mentioned. I suspect this car began life as a six cylinder. I've seen too many half breeds over the years to not be suspicious. All those underhood pix and that body tag is never there!!

Frank Drumheller
Locust Grove, VA
60S-W6
1948 M16-52 Boyer-bodied fire truck

BobPalma
01-25-2011, 08:33 PM
Bob; I can appreciate what you're saying. I wonder why, if he knows anything about Studebakers, the cowl tag body code and body number were never mentioned. I suspect this car began life as a six cylinder. I've seen too many half breeds over the years to not be suspicious. All those underhood pix and that body tag is never there!!

Frank Drumheller

Actually, Frank, if you click on and expand the one underhood photo, you can just barely read the cowl tag, and it is 62V-F4. Too, he gives the serial number as 62V5533 (an early car) and the yellow valve covers have no oil caps, but it does have the center oil filler pipe like early 1962 V-8s. I'd say the car was built as a V-8 and probably has its original engine in it, with serial number 62V5533.

That said, I do question his 1964 Ford Country Sedan ad. The fender tags and trim data plate say 390 V-8 all right, but the engine has corporate blue rocker arm covers and air cleaner housing. AFAIK, 1964 390 engines had gold rocker arm covers and air cleaner housing, whereas the 352 engine was corporate blue. BP

studelark
01-25-2011, 10:13 PM
Bob; I'll take your word for it. My eyes just aren't good enough to read that tag. That makes me feel better that he was trying to sell a nice Studebaker with a format that did draw attention. 'Nuff said.

Frank Drumheller
Locust Grove, VA
60S-W6
1948 M16-52 Boyer-bodied fire truck

JDP
01-25-2011, 10:41 PM
Hopefully it is a two door hardtop and not a two door sedan.

No big deal since that 4 door sold for 6K in the end,

Skinnys Garage
01-25-2011, 10:46 PM
That said, I do question his 1964 Ford Country Sedan ad. The fender tags and trim data plate say 390 V-8 all right, but the engine has corporate blue rocker arm covers and air cleaner housing. AFAIK, 1964 390 engines had gold rocker arm covers and air cleaner housing, whereas the 352 engine was corporate blue. BPTrue Bob, but the 352 wouldn't have "Thunderbird" on the valve covers in '64. Like you said, a Z-code 390 4-barrel should have gold covers and air cleaner on a black block and heads, but the ad does state a previous valve job and other work. I'd guess the "Ford blue" paint job was done at that time.

I see this car didn't make it to the end of the auction either. Car business must be picking up.

Skinnys Garage
01-25-2011, 10:52 PM
No big deal since that 4 door sold for 6K in the end,The car in the auction was a 2-door sedan. If it was a 4-door and brought 6K, I'd be getting my E-Bay ad for my '62 V8-Y4 wrote up right now!:cool:

BobPalma
01-26-2011, 07:10 AM
True Bob, but the 352 wouldn't have "Thunderbird" on the valve covers in '64. Like you said, a Z-code 390 4-barrel should have gold covers and air cleaner on a black block and heads, but the ad does state a previous valve job and other work. I'd guess the "Ford blue" paint job was done at that time.

Good point; I had not noticed THUNDERBIRD embossed on the rocker arm covers. 'Think I'll go back and have a look.

'Undoubtedly got painted blue instead of gold when reassembled, as you say. BP

JDP
01-26-2011, 11:55 AM
The car in the auction was a 2-door sedan. If it was a 4-door and brought 6K, I'd be getting my E-Bay ad for my '62 V8-Y4 wrote up right now!:cool:

My bad, but even though it was a 2 door, I won't need 6K for the one we're buying. It's a six and I expect to break evn north of 3K.

Santosh
07-09-2011, 06:30 AM
For your information:

This Lark is mine and far from rust free:

I found several wholes in the body,
some were badly repaired.
The engine was leaky at the front panel.
The heater was leaky, but I repaird it with the help of Clarks Lark blog, thank you.
The fan didn't work, I could repair it.
The wiperarmspring is still broken.

It is still a nice Lark and I get a great smile when driving the car.

But too much money for the whole story.
The next time I need better help before trading a Studebaker. Time will come.

raoul5788
07-09-2011, 07:58 AM
Your link doesn't work Santosh.

barnlark
07-09-2011, 08:22 AM
For your information:
...But too much money for the whole story.
The next time I need better help before trading a Studebaker.

Were you the one who ended the auction early by paying the 6K, then paying even more to ship it overseas? If you did, I understand your frustration, however, you have to take some of the heat for the outcome. Your description of what you received sounds like every Stude and its minor issues. Wiper arms with working springs are easily found, btw. Anyway, you know it's always best to do a little homework before burning cash. We've all had Studebaker buyer's remorse! You're not alone.

Contacting someone in a local garage, or in the SDC, close to a car for sale who can actually see it in person for you is always the best idea when purchasing online. It's often buyer beware and that process is discussed here often. You can't go by the amount of typos, misspellings, grammatical errors, or superlatives (well, except for comments on this SDC Forum :rolleyes:) when gauging the integrity of a person, or their ebay auction. Shysters can be minimalistic, too. One never knows. You can't win by some here no matter how your ad is written up, anyway. Everyone views this Forum's ebay critique process differently, but the good news is you can glean what you want from every comment and proceed from there.

I feel great Stude deals can just as easily be found from an ad written by a semiliterate owner as a used car novelist. If a Studebaker is perfectly rebuilt by a quality SDC owner, the local club members will usually know about it. I feel that it is pretty rare to have a perfect Studebaker body and perfect mechanicals in one package... and the ones that are can be found on this forum and have been well documented. Those won't be cheaply advertised, that's for sure. You'll quickly know the difference. That's the age old OPSO (over-priced Studebaker owner) versus the CASO stand off!

This ad is gone now, but unless it was described as a museum quality car, one has to expect imperfections regardless of the quality of how well it was written, or even a phone call feel from the owner. Mother Teresa is rarely the one standing behind an ebay car ad. Ask for help next time...you're a long way away!

Santosh
07-09-2011, 05:28 PM
Your link doesn't work Santosh.

Next time I am in the forum before shipping

Thanks for this