Hmmm...are Stude's this popular in Europe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hmmm...are Stude's this popular in Europe

The 1952 Champion I have listed on Ebay has a high bidder from France. I didn't realize they were that popular in Europe that someone would pay $3k + transport + shipping for a base model Champion. Guess to each their own....as long as his money clears, I'm good with it! I am a little sad it's leaving the US though....
    1938 Commander (great-grandfathers)
    1948 Commander (great-grandmothers)

Wow, just went and found the listing. Just what I'd like! Good thing for me I didn't see it when it was still for sale

Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
    Romans 15:13
    Deuteronomy 31:6
    Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Nice '52 Champion

I think there is a reason for the interest in this car. When you compare it to the average '47-'52 out there on ebay this is a really great "garage find".

Most are not original, have torn-up interiors, rust everywhere, dents etc. OR heavily modified, overdone streetrods. This is a car with no surprises, honestly shown and advertised, and when have you seen a unrestored '52 with Chrome that good?
      Good job Robert!
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

You bet they are popular. A classic car trader just outside Rotterdam has 7 Studebakers lined up and a dozen not specified. All Jewels, check them out. On a total of some 400 cars this is a significant number.

Studebaker Champion 1953
        Studebaker
        Studebaker
        Studebaker Golden Hawk 1959
        Studebaker Pick-up 1955
        Studebaker President 1955
        Studebaker President Speedster. 1955
        Studebaker selection

Personally I'd say the $3251 is a bargain, even if you add the €1000 to €1200 transportation costs. The car looks great for it's age.

And dont worry Robert, once the Dollar to Euro rate changes in your advantage all the cars will come back (If they haven't moved to China or the middle east before that)

Kees
        The Blog: http://dutchstuderesto.wordpress.com

Comment

I had a bidder from France buying 52 parts. I wonder if he decided to start over with a better car? He does 'cruise' the forum.

Good luck to him!

Comment

Judging by their popularity in the Netherlands as seen from the links posted by Kees, I'd say the design team for the C/Ks hit the nail on the head when they wanted something European.
            63 Avanti R1 2788
            1914 Stutz Bearcat
            (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

Originally posted by oregonroses View Post
              The 1952 Champion I have listed on Ebay has a high bidder from France. I didn't realize they were that popular in Europe that someone would pay $3k + transport + shipping for a base model Champion. Guess to each their own....as long as his money clears, I'm good with it! I am a little sad it's leaving the US though....
              It goes to show what is popular and where, and perhaps why. In the US, a Commander big 6 or V8 would be more desirable, but with the engine size taxes in various places in Europe the small Studebaker sixes were just under certain limits to avoid the worst of the punitive taxes. The French, for example, had taxes on larger V8s that were so relatively high that even some French companies essentially couldn't sell their products in France, and were 'export only'. If they couldn't export, they died--like Facel Vega. A thing to remember was that postwar, there were even a lot of small Ford flathead V8s used in France. There was a model- the Vedette I think, that used the Ford flattie long after it used in the US (1954) and Canada (1955)--about 1960, I believe. Well, until they were taxed out of production, that is.

Now given NA driving conditions, there is very little real advantage over here to a 6 compared to a V8 even back in the 50s and 60s --unless you were a typical long time Studebaker owner & driver of a 'certain age' who drove carefully with or without overdrive trying to exceed the Mobilgas (Shell) economy run figures at all times.

So, a smaller engine that >>might<< be a little more economical is a plus rather than a minus for a collector car, especially if your gas is the equivalent of $6-10+ US per US gallon. I just checked prices on PEI today, and gas starts at $4.10US/US and diesel at $4.34US/US--this is 'cheap' because expect $4.00-$5.00US/US for gas east of Manitoba) Besides, automatics are still less common over there than here, so a 6 is still pretty viable as a driver, especially if it is a manual and not wasting power with an automatic. Remember, they were selling C/K with sixes overseas, and in Canada, after they ceased selling them in the US. And if you can get a Champion 6 from NA cheaper than an equivalent V8, then it pays part of the shipping <ggg>

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                I think there is a reason for the interest in this car. When you compare it to the average '47-'52 out there on ebay this is a really great "garage find".

Most are not original, have torn-up interiors, rust everywhere, dents etc. OR heavily modified, overdone streetrods. This is a car with no surprises, honestly shown and advertised, and when have you seen a unrestored '52 with Chrome that good?
                Good job Robert!
                Thanks Rich - I was a little hesitant letting it go, what with it being my first Stude from grandpa - however, I'm replacing it with a '28 Dictator Pickup here in about 3 weeks. In the end, anything I recieved for it was a bonus and the buyer is getting a pretty solid little car!
                1938 Commander (great-grandfathers)
                1948 Commander (great-grandmothers)

Comment

Working...
                X