Sure looks like a 232!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sure looks like a 232!

Ebay currently lists a 1954 Studebaker wagon. The owner lists that it has the original 289 engine. but looking at the one engine picture, it sure looks like a 232 to me, especially the intake manifold. I can't really make out the timing cover plate, but it doesn't look like it has a fuel pump block off plate. I does have the four nut valve covers, but that doesn't mean much. Of course, if it was rebuilt, it could have been converted to a 289, and it does have the two bolt thermostat water manifold, but that doesn't mean anything either. The rest of the car is so nice that looking at the rust on the cast iron it is hard to believe the engine has ever been out of it. What do you think?

I took a good look at the pictures and the engine sure looks like a 232. The water outlet is a 4 bolt piece from what I can see. The electrical system has been converted to a 12 volts and it has a hanging brake pedal, so there has been some modifications made to the car. Bud

Comment

The ad says the car has AN original 289, but a 289 could not be original to that car. The best proof would be the numbers on the top of the engine. The configuration certainly looks like an early engine, could be a 259.
      "In the heart of Arkansas."
      Searcy, Arkansas
      1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
      1952 2R pickup

Comment

The engine does have a fuel pump block off plate where the fuel pump would normally be on a pre 55 engine, this pretty much pins it down to being a 232. Unless the oil fill tube was swapped to a later engine. Without an engine serial number we can't be 100% sure.
        Frank van Doorn
        Omaha, Ne.
        1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
        1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
        1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

Perhaps the owner only knows about 289s and assumes all Stude V8s are 289s.
          Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
          50 Champion 2 door*
          53 Commander K Auto*
          53 Commander K overdrive*
          55 President Speedster
          62 GT 4Speed*
          63 Avanti R1*
          64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

Comment

232 or 289?

I don't think so guys! I am inclined to believe with that "Lions Drag Strip" Decal in back, this is the ultimate "legal" sleeper, real deal. In other words, he can cheat and get away with it!

There is an electric fuel pump, blocked off mechanical pump, and look at that Trans. selector! It looks like a AMC, or MoPar, it could have a THM 350, 400 or 700R4 or who knows! I'll bet the buyer is in for a few surprises here, and they are all GOOD!
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I for one hope it is true, as I want to use the intake manifold that came on my spare 51 232 on the 57 259 in my 52 HT. (nearly as hard to type as it is to read, sorry)

Comment

That's a new production Lions drag strip sticker as it doesn't quite look like the one that I had in the window of my 1965 VW. The car isn't stock, but I'll bet that it isn't a hotrod either. Bud

Comment

I want to use the intake manifold that came on my spare 51 232 on the 57 259
                  That manifold will fit on a 259, however the ID's of the runners are pretty small. If you are good with a die grinder and have lots of time, you could grind the passages bigger, but it isn't really worth the effort with all the four barrel manifolds available. Of course, if you were looking to build a sleeper, it would look like a 232, and the long runners would probably help with a ram effect. Lots of work for not a lot of reward.

Comment

Working...
                  X