PDA

View Full Version : What if? Rating sellers

jallen
01-19-2011, 02:01 AM
I am aware of the number of items that are advertised for sale on the forum, but there is no way I am aware of
to rate the transactions. Like ebay, without the expense. This could be a separate category, or not.
The main reason I think this would be worth the time is when you are sending money to a seller you don't know
or trust, it would be possible to see what other members have to say about their experiences.
This could be a simple 1 to 5 rating. Possibly be able to eliminate the arguments I've seen about sellers in the past.
Plus it would be an easy way to compliment/recommend sellers that merit the thumbs up.
Any ideas would be welcome, the forum has become a much more civilized place so I think we could handle this.

Bob Andrews
01-19-2011, 04:34 AM
Can't see how it could really work.

To me, the best bet is to participate regularly here, and you will get to know folks fairly soon:)

studebaker-R2-4-me
01-19-2011, 08:06 AM
Out of many purchasing experiences that I have had with Studebaker people, I have only had one BAD experience... we are in a pretty small community of enthusiasts and 99.99% are upstanding honest people. I made a deal with Matthew Burnnet at the South Bend swap meet to trade a couple of wheel covers for a speedometer. He gave me the wheel covers at the meet, I told him I would clean it up for him and send him the speedometer. It took me a while to find the speedometer and clean it up but when he got it he thought it was NOS. Communication is key in this community I've sent money to people for things I have not even seen and have picked them up months later. I just purchased a 4.55:1 TT carrier from Bob Peterson in California, sent him the money this morning, am I worried about it? No I am not. A guy from Illinois just sent me money this morning for a powershift transmission lever from a pooched transmission that I had. I have never met him and did he trust me to send him the part? Of course he did because we have be communicating about this part for well over a month, I told him that I would pick up the part when I went to get my two transmission at the guy that was repairing them for me. I emailed him yesterday when I finally had the part in my hand and he sent me the money for it this morning.

We are lucky to be in this community, it's full of great and wonderful people.

Allen

Welcome
01-19-2011, 08:19 AM
What if? Rating sellers
I am aware of the number of items that are advertised for sale on the forum, but there is no way I am aware of to rate the transactions.<<<>>>Any ideas would be welcome, the forum has become a much more civilized place so I think we could handle this.

What if? ....you ask!

Well, it’s certainly not an "advertiser rating system" per se, but you DO have some recourse if you get "burned" on a purchase (vehicle or item) that was advertised here on this Forum.

You can read all about it if you click the "sticky" topic; "Forum policies: Read me first!" at the top of this Forum ...OR ...below is a "cut & paste" of the applicable section contained therein:

[[[ SDC Forum Advertising Policy
The following policy, having been established and approved by the Studebaker Drivers Club Board of Directors, is effective immediately 2/24/06). This policy states:

Studebaker vehicles or parts may be posted in the “General Studebaker Discussion” Forum of our SDC website with the following limitations:

1. A single posting may contain no more than 5 vehicles or items for sale.

2. Only one (1) posting per week will be accepted listing vehicles or items for sale from each participant.

3. Advertisers who have had their Turning Wheels advertising privileges revoked and not reinstated are not permitted to list vehicles or parts for sale on our webpage.

4. Complaints regarding forum advertisers will be directed to the Turning Wheels Complaints Arbiter and the same standards will apply to forum advertisers as Turning Wheels advertisers. These standards are printed in Turning Wheels and at, http://www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tw_adpolicies.asp ]]]]

Jim B PEI
01-19-2011, 09:39 AM
Personally, I have never had a bad or even mediocre transaction with people selling stuff who also happen to be here on the Forum--and I've purchased a few things. Just my experience, and maybe I've been 'lucky' but I think not. Actually, every thing had gone extremely well, and there is a lot of inspiration and knowledge I've gleaned here, provided gratis.

I certainly don't mind in the least when someone posts something here as a 'heads up' before it/as it goes on Ebay or elsewhere, and I do not begrudge the fact that sometimes people just might make a bit of money doing it. Money is always nice, and better you are paying, for example, the same amount to someone INVOLVED rather than someone NOT INVOLVED, even if that price is retail. (it tends to fund future involvement) Besides, the karma wheel rolls around, although it might take a while.

candbstudebakers
01-19-2011, 10:47 AM
Thanks Allen , the gears go out in about an hour, when I post some thing in forum before I put it on e-bay it is because I think someone here might want it first or they have asked about an item, I have very good luck on e-bay and I would bet some of the parts I have sold to people on e-bay are part of the forum and I might not even know it, pay-pal is a fast way to make and end a transaction but as a seller I pay a fee and that is all part of doing business, things get paid for faster and gets shipped out faster, most of my sales leave the day payment is received, but if some don't like or use pay-pal that is ok also they can send me a personal check if they wish, no problem part still goes out the same day . if people on the forum don't want me to post something for sale here then let me know and I won't, also I try and keep shipping payment to a min. more than one item ship together to save not always so with some people on e-bay, I don't make money on shipping and some times I even miss price the shipping and loose a buck or two all part of doing business, if I miss buy much as overage I do a refund fright away, people out there can vouch for that, only have had one bad check with e-bay since 2001 and I took car of that in a rather fancy way but that is another story.

studegary
01-19-2011, 01:24 PM
I think that we should keep the system the way that it is.

I have sold things via the Forum, usually someone asking/looking for something. I have delivered directly and indirectly without receiving prior payment and have shipped items and refunded overages. I may have gotten more money with the vast exposure of eBay, but I am happy to help SDC members, particularly those that frequent this Forum.

Bob Andrews
01-20-2011, 09:13 PM
Thanks Allen , the gears go out in about an hour, when I post some thing in forum before I put it on e-bay it is because I think someone here might want it first or they have asked about an item, I have very good luck on e-bay and I would bet some of the parts I have sold to people on e-bay are part of the forum and I might not even know it, pay-pal is a fast way to make and end a transaction but as a seller I pay a fee and that is all part of doing business, things get paid for faster and gets shipped out faster, most of my sales leave the day payment is received, but if some don't like or use pay-pal that is ok also they can send me a personal check if they wish, no problem part still goes out the same day . if people on the forum don't want me to post something for sale here then let me know and I won't, also I try and keep shipping payment to a min. more than one item ship together to save not always so with some people on e-bay, I don't make money on shipping and some times I even miss price the shipping and loose a buck or two all part of doing business, if I miss buy much as overage I do a refund fright away, people out there can vouch for that, only have had one bad check with e-bay since 2001 and I took car of that in a rather fancy way but that is another story.

Right on, Bob. Your 'for sales' on the forum are always appreciated. Everybody here knows you're someone we can trust and buy from without worry. Thanks for all you do, and have done!

Also, I am also a big fan of PayPal. Wish I could use it far more than I do. I won't even buy on eBay if the seller won't take PayPal. The exception is a multi-thousand dollar item like a car; that 3% seller's fee starts to add up then... usually a deposit by PayPal, the rest in certified funds (wire, Cashier's Check, cash). Works well for me, either buying or selling.

Flashback
01-20-2011, 09:35 PM
I would rate ALL the one's here on the forum, that I have purchased from, very high,
including you jallen. Thanks !!!!

BubbaBear
01-20-2011, 10:48 PM
It's just fine the way it is. No need to fix what isn't broken. And it is kinda nice when non a Studebaker friend expresses concern that I am so trusting that I can tell them that is how most Studebaker people are. I have been given items just for the cost of shipping. I have been shipped an item I was in a hurry for before payment could reach the seller. I have paid just on the word of a seller. And never had a problem. What we have is better than a rating system. We have trust built on friendship and very few people want to violate that.

barnlark
01-21-2011, 06:47 AM
I purchased something over 6 weeks ago from a multiple posting advertiser on the Swap Page...I have yet to see it.
I agree with Allen; 99% usually go down without a hitch. I'm not sure if the seller is on the Forum, but the communications were great when he wanted a check.