PDA

View Full Version : 40 shortie

Bob Andrews
01-18-2011, 07:09 AM
Just HAD to see what that title was about, right?:)

http://roanoke.craigslist.org/cto/2162564430.html

DEEPNHOCK
01-18-2011, 07:30 AM
Looks like a GM front frame clip (or entire frame)...
Clowns immediately come to mind:rolleyes::p
Jeff:cool:

BobGlasscock
01-18-2011, 08:03 AM
It's a STUDEBUG!!

Corvanti
01-18-2011, 08:32 AM
"where's the rest of me???" :p

(a little "gipper" lingo there).

Chris_Dresbach
01-18-2011, 09:43 AM
Looks like the basis of some kinds of 8 second gasser or something like that... :p

52-fan
01-18-2011, 09:50 AM
IF the bodywork was done right and I thought that I could chop the top some, I would like to have the body. I saw a shortened Dodge in Springfield, MO last summer that was fenderless and mounted on a longer frame and it made a tough looking hot rod. This one may be too short though, hard to tell.

gordr
01-18-2011, 11:13 AM
Well, at least he didn't chop up a coupe to make it. Maybe with the nose on it, it would look better. As it is, it looks like a cartoon illustration of a "generic car" that you see in kids' books, advertising, and editorial cartoons. Unless it was intended to be a wheel-standing gasser, I can't see the point of such radical shortening. Kind of runs 180 to the the normal goal of customizers, which is to make the car look longer, lower, and sleeker.

52-fan
01-18-2011, 11:22 AM
It may be too short to salvage. This appears to be a case of someone having a frame with more modern running gear and just trying to make the old body fit. In this case he ruined the proportions of the body. The doors look too short to work well.

jclary
01-18-2011, 11:52 AM
There are some very good comments and points made regarding this poor contraption. Not knowing the full story, it looks like there was a guy with a torch, a welder, an idea, some energy, and not much of a plan.:(

It looks like he finished with the torch, ran out of welding rods, energy, and ideas.:p

I think that someone with money, tools, energy, imagination, and a plan, could take what is left and make a pretty neat rod from what is left. Think about it...weld a decent front rod type frame fire wall forward, with the axle placed forward, use a 37 to 42 front with the hood and fenders sectioned and extended to properly center the wheels...and you have a sleek long sweeping front "Linclonesque"/"Packardesque" low slung cozy cockpit rod!:cool:

It is amazing how simple these ideas can flow when it does not involve my money, tools, time , and energy!:rolleyes:

52-fan
01-18-2011, 12:03 PM
I wish I had taken pictures of the Dodge I saw in Springfield. I have even done google searches and found nothing similar. The cabin was not as short as this Stude and was chopped enough to make it look mean. There was a big block wedge in it and some sort of earlier grille shell up front. All of this was mounted up with a traditional hot rod type frame and had no fenders. I thought the look was just right and I have envisioned a derelict Studebaker 4 door of the mid/late 30s with the same treatment. Of course, my version would have a dressed up Studebaker V-8.

Pat Dilling
01-18-2011, 01:39 PM
IMO, this falls into the category of "Just because you can do something, does not mean you should."

Chris Pile
01-18-2011, 01:54 PM
Wasn't that thing on eBay once?
And wasn't it painted green?

clonelark
01-19-2011, 02:17 AM
Id be afraid of driving that thing on a wet street, it will swap ends faster than you can blink. BTDT in a 57 Corvette with the stock wheelbase of 102"

comatus
01-20-2011, 02:09 AM
No no, Pat, the polite term is "Perhaps not the way I'd have done it."
(And you'd be right!)

This is an Oswego prototype Dwarf car, right?

Bob Andrews
01-20-2011, 04:33 AM
This is an Oswego prototype Dwarf car, right?

What do you know about Dwarf cars??

Bob Andrews
01-21-2011, 05:22 AM
Here it is with the fenders on. I'm not feelin' it:

http://greensboro.craigslist.org/cto/2170233222.html

jclary
01-21-2011, 06:18 AM
Here it is with the fenders on. I'm not feelin' it:

http://greensboro.craigslist.org/cto/2170233222.html

As I had posted previously, the front frame needs to be stretched. Look at the doors. At the current configuration, the doors would be almost impossible to make functional without serious modification to the hinges, structure and sheet metal.

It is almost as if he has placed the body on an old Jeep CJ5 chassis. The Jeep CJ5 with a V8 engine is one of the most rough riding, imbalanced, and dangerous vehicles ever offered to the public. I called the one I used to own a John Deere with a license plate.

Unless this one gets a stretched chassis to move those wheels, fenders, and the front forward...it would never be cute, comfortable, or safe. Grab your torch and get to work!

52-fan
01-21-2011, 08:32 AM
Too bad he didn't cut it like a club coupe. Realistically that thing is now parts. This kind of car often ends up as scrap metal because nobody will buy it for what the seller thinks it is worth.