Edit per new picture location : 12/1/08

NOTE : Firebird seats could also be used - Tom

Thread used to be "Dabnabbit Avanti front seat mounts!!!"

OK .. I just took out my front seat, to finally figure out WHY its a
    "rocking" chair. I found it only had ONE bolt located in a factory
    captured nut, and the other three mounts where all broken and poorly
    repaired. I am faced with a decision, do I spend the time to fab new
    mounting brackets to put the factory seats back in (that I hate), or
    do I just go ahead and mount the '97 Camaro seats I bought already?

Yah .. I am definately leaning toward the second option. I have a bad
    back, and so just short drives create hours of pain on arrival when I
    drive the Avanti. The Camaro seats seem to fit OK, the rails are the
    same distance apart as the Avanti seats, but I will have to remove the
    front built up fiberglass hump that the front mount was in. Someone
    already cut a bunch of holes in it, weakening it a lot. I'm surprised
    that Studebaker just rivoted metal to the fiberglass & called it good.
    The rear outer mount has a steel plate, but the other three (the ones
    that broke) did not. Oh, and in the process of trial fitting, I tore
    my freshly dyed carpet .. thats 4 dollars worth of dye wasted!

Tom
    '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
    Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
    http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
    I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

I the stock seats are causing you back pain I would change them. One of the few things I never liked on the Avanti is the front seats. I think the Camero seats are a much better looking seat. Go for it![8D]

GARY H 2DR.SEDAN 48 STUDEBAKER CHAMPION NORTHEAST MD.

Comment

Well .. the only reply I got on this post was agreeing with me, so I
      started the ground work for the swap. After thinking about it more, I
      realized that there was no real reason to use the power seat part of
      the Camaro seat, other then its "neato-ness". It also made the seat
      sit TOO high up in the car. Looked stupid. I checked the distance
      between the mounting holes on the stock seat, and it looked like they
      would fit directly onto the Camaro seats. It was very close, but not
      exact. I figured that considering how flimsy the stock setup was, I
      could get away with notching the outside of the rails, and then bolt
      the rail to the mount "capturing" the rail between the bolts. If it
      was met with enough force to pull the rail out from between the bolts,
      they it would break out the fiberglass holding the rail to the floor :

Front of seats :

Back of seats :

Distance between Camaro seat tracks :

Distance between Avanti seat tracks :

Notched rail end :

In process rail notching by Dremel :

Bolted up rail :

Seat in the car :

Tom
      '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
      Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
      I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

Tom,

I've already posted my opinion of Avanti seats here:

it's hard to argue with someone who wants to switch.

nate

--
        55 Commander Starlight
        --
        55 Commander Starlight
        http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

Having never sat in an Avanti I didn't realise they were uncomfortable , I do know I didn't care for their looks. Those Camero seats are going to look good in your Avanti Tom.

Comment

Tom, As a 6'5" guy whose head rubs the roof of my '74 Avanti 'cause the seat back won't adjust, I envy you!

Western Washington, USA

Comment

You are going love those seats. Put a set in the wife Vette. was like night and day.Color looks close too.I tried to use the stock bracket in the Twin. On my new seats. But that made the seat to close to the steering wheel. Mounted them just behind the bump in the floor.You may have to reposition your mirror. Just under the light switches.

Comment

If you're going to try to match the colors of the front and rear seats with vinyl spray do the rear ones as they don't get as much wear. They look pretty close the way they are in the pics.

Comment

Yah .. the color is VERY close, actually its almost DEAD on, with the
                  NON-sun bleached vinyl thats wrapped under the factory Avanti seats.
                  I know that I will like the seats, my 93 Camaro has the same ones, and
                  I have clocked almost 200,000 miles in those seats - darn nice!!

I am making up repair brackets at work RIGHT now, gotta get out there
                  and finish tapping some holes. Pictures later!

Tom

Comment

Your back will thank you.

Gary L.
                    Wappinger, NY
                    1954 Commander Starliner (restomod)
                    1959 DeLuxe pickup (restomod)
                    Gary L.
                    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

To each his own, but in the 42 years of Avanti ownership I have never found the seats to be a problem.......they are classic ...Studebaker had good sense to follow the style of classic Alfa's with their own seats.....classic, simple, and to me never an aching back![^][)]

Comment

My opinion: Seats are one of those things that can always be switched back if a future owner wants to; and most older sporty car's seats are horrendous[xx(]

Switch 'em and put the originals with the stock wheels, brakes, and anything else you've upgraded!

Piercings can be removed and healed over, but tatoos are forever! (Not that I have ever had either)! [)]

Robert K. Andrews Owner- IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
                        Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

YIKES- just saw the pic and it looks great in there- WAY better than the buckboard that it came with.........

Robert K. Andrews Owner- IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
                          Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

Some people are gifted with backs that are not bothered, to those I am
                            most definately envious. My back, however, can not stand these seats
                            for the 55 mile commute to work. As pictured, I am using the factory
                            seat rails, with a minimal mod to them. One which would not effect it
                            being switched back. Unfortunately one of the front bolts that hold
                            the rail to the fiberglass seat broke off in the seat, that spells a
                            disaster to me. Since I wont be switching them back, I will probably
                            just put them up in the attic and forget about them.

I got the drivers seat mounts repaired last night, and the seat is now
                            bolted securely to the floor, for the first time in the over 10 years
                            I have had this car, the seat DOESNT rock back and forth. Nice!
                            I took a bunch of pictures of the mounting that I made up to share on
                            the forum for others faced with this setup. The outer rear front seat
                            mount has a steel reinforcement that appears to go to the frame, the
                            inner rear front seat mount is a "captured nut" steel cage, rivoted to
                            a steel plate, and bonded to a fiberglass square, THEN bonded to the
                            bottom of the body!! Needless to say, 40 years of rust is stronger
                            then the bond to the body, and it broke off. Grabbing the cage from
                            underneath with vice grips helped get it off. I made another aluminum
                            mount to replace it. Hopefully things will go smoothly, & I will post
                            the pictures on this thread tonight.

Tom

Comment

To those waiting for further details on this swap, here is the latest
                              update. The drivers side front mounts were toasted, so I made up two
                              aluminum mounts. Here is a few pictures of the carnage :

Here is the 6061-T6 aluminum block I made up to anchor the seat. I had
                              to move out further then the factory rivots since the fiberglass was
                              so broken up around the hole.

Here is the block attached. I didnt bother with two mounting holes, I
                              split the difference. If I need to raise the seat, I can add washers
                              in between the seat track and seat bottom. Stainless screws, with a
                              zinc plated bolt.

This is the replacement inner rear seat mount, this is the one that
                              was completely GONE - nothing there but a through bolt with a big
                              washer on the underside of the car.

Drivers seat installed :

Here is the drivers and pass seats waiting to go up in the attic. You
                              can see how bleached the interior is from the sun. The underside
                              color is almost a match to the Camaro seats.

Tom

Comment

Working...
                              X