PDA

View Full Version : NY Times: "Opportunities at Entry Level of Collectibles" (Lark)

Jersey2J
01-17-2011, 01:00 PM
For better or worse ... but certainly open to a vibrant discussion. Personally, I'm just happy whenever I see "Studebaker" in the news.

"1960 STUDEBAKER LARK (Silver Auctions) The frumpy Lark nearly saved Studebaker, but few people saved Larks. It’s an ideal start to a collection of defunct brands. $10,000-$11,000."

LINK: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/16/automobiles/collectibles/16AUCTION.html?ref=automobiles

More text from the article:

What of the Pabst Blue Ribbon end of the market, the domain of younger and less liquid collectors? The auctions taking place this week in the Phoenix area may provide clues to the health of this vital part of the vintage-car hobby.

Of the major auction houses holding sales, Silver Auctions of Spokane, Wash., is the most firmly identified with the entry-level market. Held in Fort McDowell, about a half hour northeast of Phoenix, it’s the North African souk of auctions, where one can find cars like a clean Corvair or an obscure British roadster like a Jensen-Healey.

“At the height of the market, the entry point for a car you’d be proud to take to a local show was about $15,000,” said Mitch Silver, the founder of Silver Auctions. “Now, you can find quality cars in the $7,000 to $8,000 range. Prices haven’t been much lower in the last 10 years.”

BobPalma
01-17-2011, 01:08 PM
It certainly is encouraging to know, per The New York Times, that "entry level cars run all the way up to $30,000."

JBOYLE
01-17-2011, 01:09 PM
"...it's the North African souk of auctions..."
Yep, it's the New York Times.

Given their general anti-car attitude, I'm surprised the NYT would run an article like that.
But they got one trhing right...Silver's is a great place for entry level cars and a few "just used cars"...i.e. semi-collectable newer cars.

StudeRich
01-17-2011, 04:59 PM
"The frumpy Lark" eh?...Why I otta!!!!!!!

They coulda, shoulda said: "The cute, roundy style, hottest selling 1959 Compact that started a revolution and a new direction in Automotive Size", but NO, we got THIS! :mad: :mad: :mad:

Skinnys Garage
01-17-2011, 05:07 PM
.........The frumpy Lark nearly saved Studebaker, but few people saved Larks........What they haven't taken into consideration is that the few of us that save Larks usually save alot of them.:cool:

Bob Andrews
01-17-2011, 05:42 PM
To my eye, they are frumpy. That's exactly what I love about 'em- not like those slick Big 3 compacts:) I get some silly enjoyment from the weird looks as I toddle along in my Oasis Green 4 door 60 Lark VIhttp://serve.mysmiley.net/animated/anim_61.gif

Nice use of the word 'souk' though. I had to look that one up:)

BobGlasscock
01-17-2011, 06:03 PM
Gotta say, I liked the word 'frumpy' as well. Paints a picture in my mind. Sweet, little, old ladies with chocolate chip and sugar cookies are frumpy. The little ole lady who knocks out a bank robber with her purse is frumpy. I love frumpy.

When my grandmother bought her 59 Lark, it was a perfect match. Her and her car. Her car and her grandkids.

We need to bring frumpy back.

StudeRich
01-17-2011, 06:25 PM
To my eye, they are frumpy.

Some people just see things a WHOLE LOT differently! :( :( :rolleyes:

Everywhere I go in my Larks people say "what a CUTE Studebaker"! :cool:

Ricardo
01-17-2011, 07:13 PM
"Visit my Studebaker website - updated often: http://www.studebakerguide.com"

I loved your web page . Nice and atractive
Congratulations

barnlark
01-17-2011, 07:39 PM
Now, why didn't we think to coin and advertise, "WE INVENTED FRUMPY?" Darn!

JBOYLE
01-17-2011, 07:45 PM
To be honest, Larks are more Aunt Bea than Linda Vaughn. :)

Nothing wrong with that.

Sdude
01-17-2011, 07:58 PM
Young people today call them "Old School" (which is a compliment)

StudeRich
01-17-2011, 08:09 PM
Young people today call them "Old School" (which is a compliment)

That's Great, but "Frumpy" is NOT. That is associated with: Funky, Odd, Strange, and Weird! :(

mbstude
01-17-2011, 08:20 PM
That's Great, but "Frumpy" is NOT. That is associated with: Funky, Odd, Strange, and Weird! :(

You mean Studebakers aren't Funky, Odd, Strange, or Weird?

I've always thought Larks were "frumpy". They certainly aren't as slippery as a '53.

barnlark
01-17-2011, 08:22 PM

I'm pretty sure I've met that guy's description at more than one meet....maybe they meant the owner. <GGG>

Bob Andrews
01-17-2011, 08:22 PM

That's Larks described perfectly!<GG>

Milaca
01-17-2011, 08:32 PM
I've long felt that Larks are unique. I recall a hotty back in high school being impressed that I drove a "Mercedes-Benz". I told her it's a 1963 Studebaker Lark, and my luck with women went down-hill from there on.... And to back up what Skinny said, I've saved five Larks for myself. I would gladly buy another if the condition and price were right! Furthermore, I must stand by StudeRich in taking offense to any negative remarks about our beloved Larks! :)

Bob Andrews
01-17-2011, 08:39 PM
I've saved five Larks for myself. I would gladly buy another if the condition and price were right!

Me too, exactly!

But-

"You can put your shoes in the oven, that don't make 'em an apple pie" -Officer Renko, Hill Street Blues :)

Bob Andrews
01-17-2011, 08:45 PM
taking offense to any negative remarks about our beloved Larks! :)

I don't think you really mean "offense", do ya? It's just opinions- and having fun!:)

Steven and Michelle
01-17-2011, 09:08 PM
Gotta admit, the 59-61 is better looking than my 62's.
Just wish folks up here would see them as a collector bargain buy when I have two for sale ;-)

JeffDeWitt
01-17-2011, 09:42 PM
The "New York Times" calling something frumpy?!? Talk about the pot calling the kettle black, things don't get much more frumpy than the Times!

studegary
01-18-2011, 12:47 PM
Frump - dowdy, unatractive woman
Dowdy - unattractively dull

I take offense at Larks being called frumpy. I have most often heard cute associated with them.