Flightomatic- reassemble! :-)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flightomatic- reassemble! :-)

After getting all the sub-assemblies prepared in advance, and kept in ice-cream buckets to keep them clean, finally got a 'full day' to put it all back together. And here is the completed product. What a marvel of engineering! So much fun to do, I'm going to rebuild the 'extra' one just for fun, and hopefully it will get used someday...
    Now to adjust the bands (without benefit of the Stude tools), and find a tranny shop with a setup to test it all for me, as it won't be back in the car anytime soon....
    Attached Files
    Last edited by bsrosell; 01-14-2011, 06:03 PM.

That is BEAUTIFUL! I take it you are not finished installing the driveline yoke, it is way too far from the case.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

sharp eye, StudeRich! :-) You are correct. The rebuild kit I received had the components for the long-tail extension housing, so I'm still waiting for the correct seal and gasket to arrive.
      I noticed in the Shop Manual they make a big deal about there being four different gaskets to choose from (0.015 ,0.020, 0.025 and 0.030 I think?). But I'm sure there is 'one standard' that comes in the rebuild kits... don't know what that is yet as I don't have it. Curious why that is such a big deal, since there is a snap-ring holding the ball-bearing in place on the output shaft, and the thrust washers at each thrust surface will control the end-play internally. And, seems the U-joint shaft (that you noted is not on all the way) will snug up against the speedometer gear and keep THAT from turning on the shaft. So not sure why + or- 0.005 at the speedometer housing gasket would be critical to 'maintaining correct tolerances' per the Shop Manual.... What am I missing?

Comment

It probably affects the fit of the speedometer driven gear into the drive gear.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Working...
        X