Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Local Publicity for SDC and my Avanti

Hi, All,

This is a link to an article published today in our local on-line publication, The Daily Darien. One of the investors in hte publication is a friend of mine who almost bought an Avanti in 1963 and instead opted for a split-window Corvette. He sometimes comes by to inquire into the health of my project. He must have told the reporter to come by and check it out.

It's a pretty well written article. The early version wasn't perfectly accurate about Raymond Loewey's role with Studebaker, but I have followed up with her about that.

The Daily Darien is an online magazine devoted to everything connected to academic and business freelance writing, editing and proofreading.

Hope you enjoy the piece. As you can see, she included my plug for the SDC.

Best,

Tom

Fantastic!
    sigpic
    Bob Shaw
    Rush City, Minnesota
    1960 Hawk - www.northstarstudebakers.com
    "The farther I go, the behinder I get."

Comment

excellent!!!
      and it looks like we have another BLACK avanti...
      Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

Well done Tom

As you said, publicity, particularly positive as this article is, can only help the club.

It's a nice interview and reasonably well written for a local publication. By looking at your picture, you could almost qualify for youth membership among this herd of cats.

Hope you enjoy yours as much as I do mine.

Thanks, Bob

Comment

"another draw for him was that he was able to procure it inexpensively." At last we can have the story of "The Cheap Avanti". Great story.
          Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
          50 Champion 2 door*
          53 Commander K Auto*
          53 Commander K overdrive*
          55 President Speedster
          62 GT 4Speed*
          63 Avanti R1*
          64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

Comment

Thanks for sharing. I agree great article and another GREAT way to get our SDC name out to the public.

Mark

Comment

At last we can have the story of "The Cheap Avanti". Great story.[/QUOTE]

Well, it was cheap when I bought it, anyway...

Comment

VERY good, Tom!

As the kids say, 'REPRESENTIN'!
                Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
                Romans 15:13
                Deuteronomy 31:6
                Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Very nice
                  Tom
                  sigpic

Comment

That's great! Not only does SDC receive a plug...the club's name is a link to the SDC website besides. Good going Tom!

S.

Comment

Love black Avantis, points for you for the write-up and the plug for the SDC. Points for a great looking project, plus extra points for you if you've done the work in that garage.

Comment

I thought it was cool that I clicked on '1963 Studebaker Avanti' and it brought up a Google page of all Avanti pictures
                        Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
                        Romans 15:13
                        Deuteronomy 31:6
                        Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Great article. Love to see the Studes get positive press
                          1962 Champ

51 Commander 4 door

Comment

As has already been said, and rightly so, FANTASTIC!
                            Joe Roberts
                            '61 R1 Champ
                            '65 Cruiser
                            Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

Great article! I did note that the statement was that he had purchased the car "cheaply." However, there was no hint that the restoration would be cheap, easy, or quick.

As the article revealed that the owner is an attorney...I have every confidence that anyone with the ability to accomplish the academic requirements for that profession, could also master the skills required to restore the car. In fact, knowing when to hand certain tasks off to "other's," (engine rebuilding, paint, and body work) is further testimony to indicating that the car is indeed in good hands.

Once the restoration is completed and we hear of a local attorney racing around town chasing ambulances...a definate confirmation that the restoration was not cheap!
                              John Clary
                              Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Working...
                              X