Stude 259...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stude 259...

What year did Stude drop the 259 and run strictly with 289's?

Right up till the end in South Bend,both V-8's were available + 6cyl.In 65-66 they sourced engines from McKinnon in Ontario similar to a Chevy 283 & 6cyl's were also used

Comment

Yessir... And to add....
      The McKinnon V8 used in Studebaker's was, is, and will always be a Chevy engine.
      No difference whether it was in a Studebaker, or in a Chevrolet.
      Exactly the same engine.
      They all came off the same line at the McKinnon plant from St Catherine's, Ontario.
      The Studebaker people either did not want to use the Chevrolet name, or they were not allowed to use it.
      You can look up all the casting numbers for a 'McKinnon' Studebaker V8 engine and find out all the build spec's from the GM casting and stamping numbers pages on the Web.
      I do not say this because I have some love affair for the SBC (which I don't)..
      I say this for factual reference.
      HTIH
      Jeff

Originally posted by kmul221 View Post
      Right up till the end in South Bend,both V-8's were available + 6cyl.In 65-66 they sourced engines from McKinnon in Ontario similar to a Chevy 283 & 6cyl's were also used
      HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

i've heard that before (from an owner of a GTO)...
        i never believed him at first (dad still doesn't!), but i've ran across it in too many places for it NOT to be true...

and yeah, Stude didn't "want" to use the Chevy name, can you blame them?
        (i'm making this up, no clue)...

Comment

but it does seem odd that "we" get the 289 and "they" got the 283...
          would almost seem like "they" would have preferred to have the "bigger" of the two (not that such a miniscule difference is 'significant' or anything)...

Comment

'dude, the 289 engine was all studebaker, the 283 ('65 & '66 stude cars) were all ch*vy.
            i always thought that the only difference between the engines going to studebaker in those years were the valve covers. but how about the carb, intake and exhaust?
            Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

Originally posted by Stude-Dude
              What year did Stude drop the 259 and run strictly with 289's?
              Actually it was the other way around, in 1959 the 289 was dropped and the 259 was the only size V-8 offered in regular production passenger cars, including the Hawk.
              289's remained optional in the truck lines.

Comment

Originally posted by Jessie J. View Post
                Actually it was the other way around, in 1959 the 289 was dropped and the 259 was the only size V-8 offered in regular production passenger cars, including the Hawk.
                289's remained optional in the truck lines.
                OOPS! Not even close Jessie! Just for starters, ever hear of the 'R' engines??
                Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
                Romans 15:13
                Deuteronomy 31:6
                Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Cut me some slack Bob, The question was " What YEAR...?" I was only referring to the 1959 model year. In 1960 the 289 was again made available, and standard on the Hawk.
                  Ever hear of R engines in '59 & '60?
                  Last edited by Jessie J.; 01-12-2011, 08:28 PM.

Comment

289 Engines STANDARD?

Actually it was the other way around, in 1959 the 289 was dropped and the 259 was the only size V-8 offered in regular production passenger cars, including the Hawk. 289's remained optional in the truck lines.
                    The weird thing about 1959 was that yes only 259 Engines were in the Cars offered to the General Public, BUT all of the V-8 Trucks came STANDARD that year only, with the 289 Engines!

This believe it or not, has been proven by checking several Production Orders and several Trucks, I suppose like everything a 259 could be extra special Dealer ordered, but not Standard or even advertised as available! Unusual, even for Studebaker they actually GAVE away those $40.00 optional Engines!
                    That extra Forged Iron in those long stroke Cranks is expensive you know!
                    Last edited by StudeRich; 01-12-2011, 08:52 PM.
                    StudeRich
                    Second Generation Stude Driver,
                    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                      The weird thing about 1959 was that yes only 259 Engines were in the Cars offered to the General Public, BUT all of the V-8 Trucks came STANDARD that year only, with the 289 Engines!

This believe it or not, has been proven by checking several Production Orders and several Trucks, I suppose like everything a 259 could be extra special Dealer ordered, but not Standard or even advertised as available! Unusual, even for Studebaker they actually GAVE away those $40.00 optional Engines!
                      That extra Forged Iron in those long stroke Cranks is expensive you know!
                      I think you're over thinking it Rich. He stated that 289's remained optional in trucks. Trucks were also available with 6 bangers, so that would make a 289 optional.

Just for the sake of confusion, I have a 259 in my 1959 truck. But it didn't leave the factory that way.
                      Last edited by mbstude; 01-12-2011, 09:00 PM.

Comment

Toma-toe, Tomot-o

You are right Matt, it depends on how you interpreted "Optional"!
                        I took Jessie to mean the 289 was optional over the 170 Six, the 245 Six and the 259 V-8, on "C" Cab Trucks (as always), not knowing if he knew about the rare '59 thing or not.

You took it to mean; optional over the Champion 170 Six, and the 245 Six, on "C" Cab Trucks, knowing there were no 259's!
                        StudeRich
                        Second Generation Stude Driver,
                        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Cut me some slack Bob, The question was " What YEAR...?" I was only referring to the 1959 model year. In 1960 the 289 was again made available, and standard on the Hawk.
                          Ever hear of R engines in '59 & '60?
                          Slack officially cut You said in 1959, not for 1959, so I thought you meant from '59 on. I'm easily confuddled
                          Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
                          Romans 15:13
                          Deuteronomy 31:6
                          Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

There is only one way to avoid criticism; do nothing, SAY NOTHING, and be nothing.
                            -Aristotle

Comment

I was using 'standard' automotive nomlecture from the period. When most advertising and price quotations were based on a 'standard' base model vehicle, usually the cheapest 'stripped' 6 cyl. standard-shift in the line. Almost everything was optional. Want a heater? - add $$, want a passenger side sun visor?- add $$, -radio? add $$ dual horns? -add $$, undercoating? -add $$ outside mirror?- add $$ and of course if you want the V-8 -add $$.
                              Want the optional ''High Performance' V-8? add $$$$ Ka-ching!

Studebaker always excelled in the marketing of optional extras.
                              An extreme example of this would be say, a 1964 Commander equipped with the optional at extra cost R-3 engine 'Super Lark' package, toss in a few comfort and convenience items, and you could nearly double the sticker price of the base vehicle. Couple this with the fact that the same base model from Dealer inventory could be purchased at a discount from sticker and you can see why few R-3 Commanders were ordered.

Motor Trend's '64 Commander R-2 'Super Lark' listed at $3784 on a $2190 base. And Car Life's '64 R-4 Daytona listed out at $4549 on a $2443 base.
                              That was a lot of moolah in 1963 bucks. A new 1964 Corvette Sting Ray had a base price of only $4037, just for a little perspective on Studebaker's lack of sales success.
                              Last edited by Jessie J.; 01-13-2011, 09:41 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X