naked '64 rear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• naked '64 rear

The paint job on my '64 Daytona continues, here's a shot of the inside left rear quarter panel. There was a little surface scaly rust along the edges, but not bad. I slopped some POR 15 on after wire wheeling.

I remember when the '62 of my dad's was like that; what a great day it was to reinstall them! Started to look like a car again
    Dylan Wills
    Everett, Wa.

1961 Lark 4 door wagon
    1961 Lark 4 door wagon #2 (Wife's car!)
    1955 VW Beetle (Went to the dark side)
    1914 Ford Model T

Comment

BTW, what are you using to seal those surfaces? Looks like POR, but not at the same time....
      Dylan Wills
      Everett, Wa.

1961 Lark 4 door wagon
      1914 Ford Model T

Comment

Can't stay quiet on this one! POR 15 is NOT the product that you should be using.
        It seems most amature restorations seem to have one thing in common these days....POR 15 applied with a brush over non properly prepared surfaces.
        I really don't want to upset anyone (But I am sure someone will be). But if you are going to go to the trouble of removing quarters, doors, fenders, & even bodies off the frame. Then don't waste your time with a wire wheel, a brush and POR 15. Unless you really don't care to keep the car and you are just trying to make it look better for your eBay pictures. DO IT RIGHT! It doesn't cost much more and if your time is worth anything, it probably costs LESS!
        Good Luck
        &
        Good Roads
        Brian
        Brian Woods
        woodysrods@shaw.ca
        1946 M Series (Shop Truck)

Comment

Are you going to tell us what YOU would use? What would you use, chem etch Primer!
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I can tell what I used on my French and English cars. These cars are made of the worst (1970's) stuff they dared to sell as steel. It already starts to rust in the brochure so I had to replace large parts of the body and weld these parts to the rest of the rusty bits.

The parts I did not replace I blasted at low pressure to prevent dis-forming the curves, then I painted the old and new parts with two layers of Sikkens (a Euro paint brand) two component primer. This I covered with two layers of the paint and sealed it of with Caprotech RX10, an underbody protection. Hereafter I sprayed the parts that remain in view in the proper colour.

It works fine. Never seen any rust after that.

My new 1950 commander is my first car that does not require extensive body work, only a lot of paint. A new experience for me.
            The Blog: http://dutchstuderesto.wordpress.com

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
              Are you going to tell us what YOU would use? What would you use, chem etch Primer!
              I admire Brian for taking a stand on that issue. I won't mask rust with POR-15, either. I sandblast to raw steel and then cover with etch primer such as DP-40 or DP-90 on a chassis.

Craig

Comment

See I didn't have to say how it SHOULD be done! Craig has hit the nail on the head!
                In our shop we blast everything, it is the best money you can spend. Then DP90 or other quaulity etch epoxy primer or a good rockguard on the blasted underbelly sheet metal parts with 2 to 3 coats of industrial epoxy applied over the rockguard. Makes it very durable and washable. Will last another 50 or more years easily!
                Please remember that Epoxy paint has no UV protection and should ony be used on areas not exposed to direct sunlight or it will start to break down and chalk up in a couple of years.
                Good Roads
                Brian
                Brian Woods
                woodysrods@shaw.ca
                1946 M Series (Shop Truck)

Comment

Some of us don't have nor can afford blasting equipment.

Comment

My CASO method was to use a 3 1/2" wire cup on a 90 deg. grinder, remove everything down to bare but once rusted metal. After a while my coveralls felt like cactus with the little wires, but it sure takes off the rust and crud. Then I'd wash it with lacquer thinner to remove oil residue. Then I'd apply the POR 15. I'm more satisfied with that than anything I could have paid for locally.

Comment

So now I am confused. Are you saying that the POR15 does not stop rust or bond as they claim?
                      "In the heart of Arkansas."
                      Searcy, Arkansas
                      1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
                      1952 2R pickup

Comment

Bruce, I thought that was my 64 HT for a second. Mine looked this way about a year ago. Keep up the good progress and keep us posted. Jeff

Comment

This could be a pretty interesting discussion! My 2 cents is this: I LOVE blasting and starting over; but on some things it's best NOT to do that. Such as a customers Mercedes that he doesn't want to have to pull all apart to fix a hole in the firewall. The POR has worked great for a year plus so far. Other items I have used and tested it on ONLY IF USED CORRECTLY; it works quite well I am also only 17 though, so I won't argue with people with more experiance
                          Dylan Wills
                          Everett, Wa.

1961 Lark 4 door wagon
                          1914 Ford Model T

Comment

That is a good point.
                            Many of us cannot afford to outsource this type of repair, or preventative maintenance.
                            So that leaves a gap.
                            We all want to do a 400 point restoration.
                            But we have to do the best we can with what we have to work with.
                            Taking shortcuts that cut the service life of the product (Stude's in this instance) because we can't afford the tool or product is a poor excuse.
                            If things are that bad, then maybe a restoration should not be started.
                            Better to drive it and enjoy it...while it lasts.
                            Sort of like saying you never change the oil because a drain pan cost's too much.
                            Somewhere, the investment to do the job right must be made...Or the result will suffer.
                            No easy answer here..
                            The comments above are all good, but the one thing that really wasn't said (so far) was to READ THE INSTRUCTIONS.
                            POR15 is not cheap.
                            They are pretty stringent in their application instructions.
                            Sure, there are better methods and products than POR15.
                            But POR15 gives you a good result for the bang for the buck.
                            I will continue to use it, in the proper places, with the proper application methods.

Originally posted by BRUCESTUDE View Post
                            Some of us don't have nor can afford blasting equipment.
                            HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Thanks for those comments, Jeff. I use POR15 and do not understand what the probelm with it is. It does stop rust and from what I've seen prevents it as well. I know it can be deadly if sprayed incorrectly. I have always brushed it on and it comes out very smooth. Yes, you do have to following the directions.
                              Joe Roberts
                              '61 R1 Champ
                              '65 Cruiser
                              Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

Working...
                              X