PDA

View Full Version : tune up

billwillard
05-03-2007, 10:03 AM
Can some one tell me where I can find point gap for a 54 champ 6cyl? I also need to know how to adjust shifting linkage three speed colum. Will not go from first to second with out playing with shifting leaver. this is my first post. I just got a nice 54 champ 2dr. with overdrive. Was not running and when I got it running overdrive was not working. Took carb apart,cleaned reinstalled and replaced relay on overdrive. Runs great now. When I turn this car off I hear a gurgling sound comming from the oil filler cap for about 1 minute. Any one know what might cause this? THANKS
BILL

dictator27
05-03-2007, 02:08 PM
Point gap is .020

Terry

Tom B
05-03-2007, 03:04 PM
Does it have an oil filter? if so, the oil is draining back to the crank case. if not, the oil is draining back to the crankcase from the oil passages in the crank and block.

There are supposed to be two holes, one on each shift arm where they exit the steering tube. Align them and insert a 1/8" drill bit. Then crawl under the car, (with jack stands in place) disconnect the two shift clevises loosen the lock nuts and adjust until the pins slide into place when the levers are in the neutral detent. Reinstall the pins with cotter pins, remove the 1/8" drill bit and try 'er out.

This is the procedure. My 53 only has one 1/8" hole, setting the levers is a bear.

[img=left]http://www.alink.com/personal/tbredehoft/Bothcars.jpg[/img=left]
Tom Bredehoft
'53 Commander Coupe
'60 Lark VI
'05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
All three Indiana built OD cars