Short and sweet GT Hawk listing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Short and sweet GT Hawk listing

Anyone want to risk 10K or so to see what you've bought when it arrives ? It could be a real gem, but sorta hard to tell, might be worth a e-mail..

JDP Maryland

Less than 10 miles from me.I'll see if I can take a look and make a report.
    Mono mind in a stereo world

Comment

Originally posted by bob40 View Post
      That would be great. It could be a older owner without ebay savvy, but with a real gem.
      JDP Maryland

Comment

is that a recent pic? was going to enlarge, but can't.
        Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

Look older to me, based on the cars in the background.
          JDP Maryland

Comment

Originally posted by bob40 View Post
            check it out Delano, then go to Rieders meats pick up and send me 5# of their home style sausage, and tell Betty I said Hi.
            Does that pretty woman still own the restaurant on the north end of downtown? I had a work buddy that was dating her.
            Mark Riesch
            New Bern, NC

Comment

Listings that make you go ???????????? Description and details make all the difference, as JDP can attest.

The variance in market value between a base 2-bbl car and an R2 package car in the same condition is wide worlds apart.

I had to walk away from a good local '62 GT base car in excellent condition. The grandchildren of the original owner had done two minutes of research and wanted to believe their lowest end content - highest year of production GT was worth close to what they had seen a couple of rare later cars like JDPs perfect R2 sell for. It is still sitting there because they can't agree to go with real world market value - JDP and Sal might clean it up and present it well and get at best $6-8k but never-ever-nowhere-near $46k.

Maybe some contact with a rational SDCer will encourage them to add pertinent details.

jack vines
              PackardV8

Comment

Someone bid $9K. Hopefully they either looked at it or got a lot of additional information/current pictures.
                Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by PackardV8 View Post
                  Listings that make you go ???????????? Description and details make all the difference, as JDP can attest.

The variance in market value between a base 2-bbl car and an R2 package car in the same condition is wide worlds apart.

I had to walk away from a good local '62 GT base car in excellent condition. The grandchildren of the original owner had done two minutes of research and wanted to believe their lowest end content - highest year of production GT was worth close to what they had seen a couple of rare later cars like JDPs perfect R2 sell for. It is still sitting there because they can't agree to go with real world market value - JDP and Sal might clean it up and present it well and get at best $6-8k but never-ever-nowhere-near $46k.

Maybe some contact with a rational SDCer will encourage them to add pertinent details.

jack vines
                  My favourite recent ad is this this local area Kijiji (free) ad in New Brunswick:

Comment

I commented to my family about this ad when I first saw it. The photographer was too interested in the people and not enough in the car at the time of the photo. The distance he was from the car reminds me of shots my mother took years ago. Lots of scenery.
                    The New Brunswick ad is a giggle, but "it's worth quite a bunch if you know how to fix er up". At $20,000 I wonder just how much he thinks it is worth fixed up.
                    "In the heart of Arkansas."
                    Searcy, Arkansas
                    1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
                    1952 2R pickup

Comment

Spoke to the owner last night.Looking at it today.Report to follow.

Comment

I also would like to know the condition bob, been looking again as of late but funds always dictate how much I can dream. Thanks for any futher info.

Comment

Just got back.Here is some info and observations.A few pics.
                          Body tag: 63V-K6 1360
                          VIN tag: 63V 10588
                          Engine pad numbers: JT1365
                          Mileage:84606
                          Car was so wedged in garage it was dang near impossible to get to the front.Passenger side cannot be viewed unless car is removed from garage.Car has been repainted red and has a 1970's velour interior.Hole in headliner.Nos surprising as there is mouse indicators everywhere.Full instrumentation dash.Messed up the radio pic but perhaps sharp eyes can tell if it's a am/fm.
                          Under the hood looks fair.Car has not been started in several years possibly as many as 7.Heater appears to be bypassed.Correct chrome goodies on engine.Owner was unaware it was a JT engine.Not sure if it has a HD trans in it.
                          Under the car there is overspray.Batwing beginning to separate.Hog troughs have rust holes(at least drivers side.Rest looked good but I could not get far enough underneath to see much more.No space to lay on floor even for a skinny person.Trunk was missing emblem and both sides of rear of trunk near opening lip showed signs of plastic filler.Trunk floor did not appear to be correct possibly has metal laid in as repair although spare tire hold down looked like it belonged.
                          Trim was good and the wide whites and dog dish caps looked good.

Comment

Explain "batwing". That was a new one on me.

Comment

Originally posted by 65cruiser View Post
                              Explain "batwing". That was a new one on me.
                              Mark, the batwing is the huge frame crossmember that goes right under the door hinge posts to support the body at those points. It is the widest frame crossmember on the car, going clear across the underside of the whole car, as opposed to just going from one frame rail over to the other side.

It is made of one large, flat steel plate at the very bottom, which is welded to an inverted, u-shape stamping that forms the top. The resulting "trough" fills with dirt and debris over the years. Rust sets in and the spot welds holding the upper u-channel and the bottom flat plate start expanding and break loose as the crossmember rusts back into the two pieces it was before they were spot-welded together.

Hence Bob's accurate comment that "the batwing was beginning to separate," which is to be expected, from what he said about the rest of the car. BP
                              We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Working...
                              X