Studebaker race results

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studebaker race results

I was looking into some Canadian rally history, and Studebaker seems to have done quite well.

In the 1961 Shell Canada 4000, Larks placed 1st, 2nd, 33rd and 66th, with a Hawk in 23rd (out of 106 entries).
    In 1962, Larks finished 1st (Studebaker Canada team), 8th, 19th, with two Studebaker team entries DNF.
    In 1963, Larks came in 22nd, 27th thru 30th, 40th, and 1 DNF (no Studebaker backing that year)
    1964 had only one Studebaker, placed 43rd.
    1965 had a lone Commander, placed 28th.
    1966 had a single Daytona with a DNS - Familiar name... Stu Chapman!
    1967 had a lone GT Hawk retire.
    1968 saw no Stude entries, and a noticable shift - Mostly Toyota and Datsun entries.

There are lots of good pictures on the site too.
    Attached Files

I seem to recall that Studes did even better in 1960?
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Possibly, there are no results on that web site for 1960...
      Attached Files

Comment

I think in 1960 a six cylinder Lark was entered and place first. That Shell 4000 site is a great one with lots of Studebaker pictures. The Hamilton Factory sponsored Studebakers for several years. Stu Chapman was a big player behind this effort. He covers it in his book. I believe he drove more than once. The 1965 entry was driven by international racing star Pedro Rodriguez. There has been some coverage of the Studebaker rally effort in two different Turning Wheels issues. Those issues are seveal year apart, but the earlier one actually has a drawing of one of the rally Larks on the front cover.

Here are couple of more pictures. Go to the link posted in the original posting and you'll find lots of really cool stuff. Lots of magazine articles with lots of pictures. Also image gallaries.

Joe Roberts
        '61 R1 Champ
        '65 Cruiser
        Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

Ron: Do you have a copy of the March 1986 Turning Wheels? I believe you'd want one if you don't. The feature article by Dick Quinn is Studebaker of Canada: 1910 - 1966. It's 21 pages long!

Then, The Almanac for that issue devotes an additional 4 pages to Studebaker's involvement in Canadian Rallying and Racing.

Finally, Stu Chapman details much about Studebaker of Canada from his perspective toward the end, including the rallying and racing in which he participated on behalf of the company.

That issue is a "must have" for Canadian members. BP
          We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Bob - as a recent Stude convert, I don't have that issue - I only have them from 2007 till now (my own membership started last year, but the rest came with the car). My wife and I did rallies for a few years from 96-ish to 2001-ish. We managed to do pretty well even without a Studebaker! I remember at the time coming in just ahead of Patrick Richard in a few events... he went on to become Canadian and US champion several years running. I blame his success on massive factory backing from Subaru. (kidding - he was quite good even then... we only beat him because we were better at not breaking the car - a problem that still plagues him today)

Anyway - back to TW March 1986 - Are back issues still available?

Comment

Originally posted by rjohnston79 View Post
              Bob - as a recent Stude convert, I don't have that issue - I only have them from 2007 till now (my own membership started last year, but the rest came with the car). Anyway - back to TW March 1986 - Are back issues still available?
              Good News, Ron; they apparently are...or were as recently as September 2010. Reference Page 60 of the September 2010 Turning Wheels for particulars; the Cornerstone Registration advertisement on the left side of the page.

Stu Chapman was SDC President at the time, so his "SDC Presidential Letter" was written in your country. I had forgotten about it, but my 6-page interview of [the now late] Carl Thompson is also in that issue, replete with Canadian material as Carl and I discussed the last cars Studebaker ever made.

The Midwest Canadian Zone Meet is featured and that issue's front cover is a nice piece of artwork depicting the Team Studebaker 1966 Commander competing in the period Canadian Winter Rally, crashing through frozen, snow-covered woods at the hand of Stu Chapman with Navigator Tom Baldock, then Advertising Supervisor for Studebaker of Canada!

Quite frankly, if I was a Canadian, I'd order a couple of those issues if they were available. It is thoroughly enjoyable and packed with good "Canuk" stuff (it is OK to say that?) <GGG> BP
              Last edited by BobPalma; 01-10-2011, 06:57 PM.
              We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Thank you Bob, I will definately be getting a couple of copies

Comment

Hm, I think I'll try to obtain that issue too! The cover painting sounds like the one Stu still has (or at least did shortly before he and Thelma moved house recently). He also still has, and occasionally wears to an event, his rally team jacket. Someone up here ought to recreate one of those Shell 4000 Studes...

S.

Comment

I actually had Reg Hillary, the co-driver of the winning 1961 car, give a presentation to our club at the Ontario Chapter Swap Meet a few years ago. I hope I still have the video.

As well as being an accomplished driver, he also is an excellent speaker, having been in Toastmasters for many years.

I remember him talking about the fact that Studebaker was worried about another $50 to spend on new tires when the starting tires wore out.

Comment

Working...
                    X