1964 Avanti R1 questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1964 Avanti R1 questions

I recently purchased a 1964 Avanti R1 and I owuld just like to find out a little bit more information about it. The body tag reads RQ-4502 and the frame VIN reads r-5537.

1. Original exterior paint color of the car
    2. what the body tag number means (RQ-4502)
    3. Where can I find a power steering pump for this car and a dash.

Any help is greatly appreciated
    thanks

A little info. for a start - The frame tag is the serial number, usually used for a VIN. 5537 was built during October 1963 (the last big month of Studebaker Avanti production) as a 1964 model. The body tag number is just the sequential build number of the body assembly. It usually correlates closely to the S/N. You can purchase a build sheet for your Avanti from the SNM. It will answer the color question and a multitude of other things.
    And Welcome to the Forum and join the SDC from this site.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Jon Myer usually has some Avanti dashes in his showroom.

Here is a link for ordering your production order from South Bend's Studebaker National Museum:

The Studebaker National Museum Online Store is the place to shop for all of your Studebaker related merchandise needs....

As mentioned above, this original production order will have all of your information on it to assist you in how it was originally ordered and built. Matching the original paint color may be easier to accomplish by searching somewhere on the car that has possibly been untouched by any repainting. The production order will just confirm what color code it was.
      Last edited by barnlark; 01-09-2011, 01:20 PM.

Comment

Working...
      X