From the Archives #72 Rotating your tires 1934

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• From the Archives #72 Rotating your tires 1934

The owners manual suggests that you rotate the tires on your 1934 Year Ahead Dictator
    Land Cruiser every 5000 miles. Following these instructions will result in significantly
    longer tread life. However omitting one tire will have substantially the same result.
    Richard Quinn
    Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

I've heard about those 3 wheel stunts before. Supposedly, a '40 Champion can do it too, but I don't know if I want to find out...
    Chris Dresbach

Comment

3 wheels reduce your taxes considerably in Europe!
      Last edited by 41 Frank; 01-08-2011, 10:18 AM. Reason: spelling
      Frank van Doorn
      Omaha, Ne.
      1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
      1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
      1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

I bet 3 wheel brakes are interesting in a panic stop!!

Comment

Ah, yes, the French. I do remember seeing a Citroen DS/ID (I think) being driven at speed on three wheels to show off its pneumatic suspension.

BUT, there was a method to this apparent madness. Remember, the French in particular had rough roads (pave with the accent aigu, or blocks/cobblestones) which led the French by necessity having the most sumptuous forgiving suspensions, and tire quality being what it was back then, flats were common. So, on the way to somewhere in a hurry/bad weather, and you have a flat, you put on the spare. Then, pow! another flat--you then have to actually fix a tire or two with patches etc....unless you have a car like the new 34 Studebaker Dictator Land Cruiser that is so well balanced, it can run on three tires. So, you take the flat off the front, or take off a front wheel to replace the 2nd rear flat, and continue on your merry way until you have a chance to fix both tires. I have never tried this on my Peugeot Turbodiesel wagon to see if it will work, but it does have that "Buick-built-by-BMW" type of ride. I doubt that I would notice a flat tire right away in any case <g>

Comment

Originally posted by Chris_Dresbach View Post
            I've heard about those 3 wheel stunts before. Supposedly, a '40 Champion can do it too, but I don't know if I want to find out...
            Go for it Chris----Just make sure you have enough lead on the opposite side behind the rear wheel. (G)

Comment

That's a very interesting picture.
              According to the shop signs, it was taken in Flemish Belgium. The car on the right side looks like a Traction Avant.
              It may be a D'Ieteren's built model.
              sigpic

Comment

Actually taken in Ghent, Belgium. It is a standard Studebaker Land Cruiser body though it may have been shipped
                from the Walkerville, Ontario plant in knocked down condition and assembled in Belgium.
                Richard Quinn
                Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

sigpic

Comment

Reminds me of the early seventies Reese Trailer hitch ad that had an
                    Olds Toronado hooked to a boat trailer with a Reese load equalizer hitch.
                    They had the bars cranked so tight they took the rear wheels
                    and tires off of the Toronado and drove it around.
                    Jeff
                    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Crap, I did that with an 83 Caprice Wagon once hooked to a travel trailer. Whenever I tried to take off it would smoke the rear tires because they were barely on the pavement. Had to make some "adjustments" so to speak.

Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK View Post
                      Reminds me of the early seventies Reese Trailer hitch ad that had an
                      Olds Toronado hooked to a boat trailer with a Reese load equalizer hitch.
                      They had the bars cranked so tight they took the rear wheels
                      and tires off of the Toronado and drove it around.
                      Jeff

Comment

Seems like that was an advertising point to display the balance of the senior size bathtub Packards.

Comment

Working...
                        X