Champ 3/4 Ton Specs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Champ 3/4 Ton Specs

Even though I should know better (garage already full), I am thinking of taking a look at a '64 Champ offered for sale locally. It's a V8 short wheelbase with full-width cargo box. My knowledge of this thing is negligible. I don't know yet whether it has slider rear window. A single photo shows chrome grille and front bumper.

It apparently has an original five speed manual gearbox. I vaguely recall that the one-ton Stude my dad bought 60 years ago had a very low "extra" ratio... something similar here? Did the 3/4 ton '64 come with 15" or 16" wheels?

I'm guessing that a half ton with Flightomatic would be more car-like and probably better suited to our urban and surburban driving.

Thanks from a Stude truck novice!

Gil Zimmerman
    Gil Zimmerman
    Riverside, CA

1955 Speedster
    1956 Golden Hawk
    1958 Packard Hawk
    1958 President
    1963 Avanti R2

You may get a response if you post these questions on the Truck Farmers page .

Tapatalk the world's leading mobile platform for building great communities online
    sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

64 Champ 3/4-ton V8 trucks were available with 5-speed transmissions, both direct and overdrive. In the direct, the extra gear was low; in the OD, the extra gear was overdrive. Standard tire size was 7.00 x 16 with both 7.5 x 16 and 8.00 x 17.5 optional.
      Skip Lackie

Comment

SWB and 5 spd.

Originally posted by riversidevw View Post
        It's a V8 short wheelbase with full-width cargo box.
        Gil Zimmerman
        I don't have my books in front of me to check, but was there such an animal in the 8E series as a 3/4 ton with a 112" wheelbase (6.5 foot bed)? I know they did not exist in C-Cabs - all 3/4 tonners were 122" wheelbase (8 foot bed).

Skip - I also thought that the 5 spd. DD trannies were only available on one ton and over units?
        Mark Hayden
        '66 Commander

Comment

Originally posted by Skip Lackie View Post
          64 Champ 3/4-ton V8 trucks were available with 5-speed transmissions, both direct and overdrive. In the direct, the extra gear was low; in the OD, the extra gear was overdrive. Standard tire size was 7.00 x 16 with both 7.5 x 16 and 8.00 x 17.5 optional.
          Both the DD and OD New process Transmissions are H.D. Truck type floor shifts, with Compound LOW not usually used unless loaded or equipped with a 4.09 Axle Ratio, (most are 4.56 or 4.88) so the "extra gear" is a mid range gear not "Low" because 5th. is Direct in the DD.
          And 5th. in the Overdrive of course is O.D.

The 112 WB was not advertized as available on 3/4 Tons, but a fleet was special ordered by the Los Angeles Water and Power Co. and all I saw when I delivered one new, were Dark Brown, with Low Gear Start Automatic and Std. Cab W/fixed rear window.

Maybe the subject Truck was modified?
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

My reference to "short wheelbase" may well an error on my part, only photo I've seen is a frontal shot. I may have misread one of the few tables of specs that I could find.

Seller tells me the truck is an 8E 12 model, I believe that should be a 3/4 ton. I have no clue about the transmission options for '64.

Gil
            Gil Zimmerman
            Riverside, CA

1955 Speedster
            1956 Golden Hawk
            1958 Packard Hawk
            1958 President
            1963 Avanti R2

Comment

Mark,

Think you are correct on both points. Do not think Studebaker ever made a 3/4 ton truck with less than the 8 foot bed.

And although the xtra gear on the 5th/OD was the OD - first was pretty darn low. A cousin had an 8E 1/2 ton with the 5th over and red lining it in first would probably get you up to 7 or 8 mph.

Here is an International meet photo of a Champ 3/4 ton.

Comment

Agree with the corrections above. I was trying to be brief in my initial response, as I was in a hurry, so may not have crafted my answers very carefully. Both the 7E-8E parts book and the 8E spec book list the both the 112" and 122" wheelbases as being available for the 8E10 and 8E12.

Mark- the books show both 5-spd direct and 5-spd OD as available in all V8-powered trucks, but not with the six.
                Skip Lackie

Comment

Thanks Skip

Originally posted by Skip Lackie View Post
                  Agree with the corrections above. I was trying to be brief in my initial response, as I was in a hurry, so may not have crafted my answers very carefully. Both the 7E-8E parts book and the 8E spec book list the both the 112" and 122" wheelbases as being available for the 8E10 and 8E12.

Mark- the books show both 5-spd direct and 5-spd OD as available in all V8-powered trucks, but not with the six.
                  Always learning something new... 'course as StudeRich pointed out in his post, even if it was not a factory offering, Studebaker would likely have built it if asked by a customer!
                  Mark Hayden
                  '66 Commander

Comment

A quick follow-up question... did these HD truck transmissions have synchromesh on all forward speeds? I recall a fair number of 50's and early 60's era manual boxes (especially imports) that still used non-synchro first gear, including an oval window VW out in the garage.

Thanks.

Gil
                    Gil Zimmerman
                    Riverside, CA

1955 Speedster
                    1956 Golden Hawk
                    1958 Packard Hawk
                    1958 President
                    1963 Avanti R2

Comment

No sychro in first gear. But you won't ever use first anyway -- as noted above, it's way too low.
                      Skip Lackie

Comment

Working...
                      X