PDA

View Full Version : Gasket sealants



BShaw
05-02-2007, 08:31 PM
Are any sealants used for the 289 valley cover (cork), valve covers (neoprene) and intake gaskets?

Also, what would you torque the aluminum valve covers and aluminum valley cover? Same as the shop manual shows?

BShaw,Webmaster
http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h53/StudeRobert/StudeWebService-small.gif
60 Hawk. 49 2R5, 39 Champion
Woodbury, Minnesota

DEEPNHOCK
05-02-2007, 09:04 PM
I would recommend a good Permatex Ultra Black gasket sealer.
Place it on the valve cover gasket and put the gasket in the valve cover.
Set it on a nice flat surface (steel plate) and put a weight on the valve cover and let it set up overnight.
Then you can install the valve cover with just a real thin film of gasket sealer on the gasket when you install it on the head.
Torque the nuts lightly and let this set up also.
Then tighten the nuts to spec.
They should stay real clean that way.
Jeff[8D]


quote:Originally posted by BShaw

Are any sealants used for the 289 valley cover (cork), valve covers (neoprene) and intake gaskets?

Also, what would you torque the aluminum valve covers and aluminum valley cover? Same as the shop manual shows?

BShaw,Webmaster
http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h53/StudeRobert/StudeWebService-small.gif
60 Hawk. 49 2R5, 39 Champion
Woodbury, Minnesota

N8N
05-02-2007, 09:28 PM
If he's using aluminum covers, he'll need something that sticks real well... I've never tried using silicone to do this, it may work though. I've been using good old fashioned gasket cement on the gaskets and covers, and nothing on the head/block side.

nate

--
55 Commander Starlight
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

DEEPNHOCK
05-02-2007, 10:42 PM
Permatex Ultra-Black is good stuff...
Way tougher than wimpy silicone...
I have done a half dozen Studebaker engine aluminum valve covers, and valley covers with this stuff...
All I know is....it works great.
http://www.permatex.com/images/DisplayImage.asp?210|/images/ProductPhotos/82180.jpg
http://www.permatex.com/products/automotive/automotive_gasketing/gasket_makers/auto_Permatex_Ultra_Black_Maximum_Oil_Resistance_RTV_Silicone_Gasket_Maker.htm
(Use their 'Ultra-Copper' for intake manifolds...)
Jeff[8D]


quote:Originally posted by N8N

If he's using aluminum covers, he'll need something that sticks real well... I've never tried using silicone to do this, it may work though. I've been using good old fashioned gasket cement on the gaskets and covers, and nothing on the head/block side.

nate

--
55 Commander Starlight
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

showbizkid
05-03-2007, 03:07 AM
Jeff, if you put sealer on the valve cover gaskets, can you re-use them? If so, how do you clean them for re-use?


[img=left]http://members.cox.net/clarknovak/lark.gif[/img=left]

Clark in San Diego
'63 F2/Lark Standard
http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

studebaker-R2-4-me
05-03-2007, 08:26 AM
I have a tube of Ultra Black which I used on my Differential Gasket. I recently purchased a can Permatex Copper Spray Gasket sealer which I was going to use on some paper gaskets. I will be installing my valve covers tomorrow night. What would you recommend to use on the cork impregnated rubber valve cover gaskets. Should I use the Ultra Black or should I spray the gaskets with the Copper Spray and install them. What is the better product to use on the Valve Covers.

1964 GT Hawk soon to be R2 Clone

stude freak
05-03-2007, 08:31 AM
The way Jeff described it is the best way .I been doing it like that for years works great.

David Baggett '53 coupe

Stude4x4
05-03-2007, 11:24 AM
We've always used the permatex and it works great. Except we use the gray stuff. I'm sure it works just as good. Haven't used the black yet. But that gray really sticks. Sometimes its tough to get off. In fact, 2 years ago we had a valve cover gasket blow out when we were on a trip and we used that gray stuff to fill the gap. Worked pretty good.

Jake

-Home of John Studebaker-
http://s158.photobucket.com/albums/t95/stude4x4/
http://varozza4x4.com
http://s158.photobucket.com/albums/t95/stude4x4/th_505911685npTTka_fs.jpghttp://s158.photobucket.com/albums/t95/stude4x4/th_FullSize.jpghttp://s158.photobucket.com/albums/t95/stude4x4/th_normal_scan.jpg

StudeRich
05-04-2007, 04:01 AM
If you have cork impregnated rubber valve cover gaskets, you must have some pretty OLD stock ones. The best ones to use are the fresh new neoprene (rubber) ones, they are solid black rubber looking type.


quote:Originally posted by studebaker-R2-4-me

What would you recommend to use on the cork impregnated rubber valve cover gaskets.

StudeRich
Studebakers Northwest
Ferndale, WA

sbca96
05-08-2007, 08:50 PM
I dont care for silicone type sealers, if you want to make sure its
not going to leak, use Permatex No2. On rubber/neoprene valve cover
gaskets I use it on the gasket to valve cover side. Its gooey and is
great for 'glueing' it to the valve cover. The head side I use a thin
coat of oil. They can be taken off and reinstalled a few times as
long as you match the impression made by the head in the gasket. This
is done by tightening the nuts and moving the cover until it settles.

Valley covers again .. Permatex No2, thin coat both sides. Also works
great for all water connection paper gaskets. Great stuff, never had
a leak. I have had issues with silicone sealers not sticking well to
surfaces that are not perfectly clean. The beads also like to roll
out of the squish area is you let it set up too long. Permatex No2 is
pretty much idiot/leak proof .. and I hate resealing things later!;)

Tom

'63 Avanti, zinc plated drilled & slotted 03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, soon: 97 Z28 T-56 6-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves, 'R3' 276 cam, Edelbrock AFB Carb, GM HEI distributor, 8.8mm plug wires

DEEPNHOCK
05-09-2007, 05:25 PM
I would use the Ultra Black on the valve covers.
It's thicker and designed to be a gasket replacer as well as a sealer.
It isn't 'shiny' like some of the older/cheaper silicone sealers.
I also recommend Ultra Copper for intake manifolds.
It is a higher temp sealer, and has given me no problems on Stude heads.
Even around the heat crossover port.
This stuff is way, way better than the old #2 (non hardening) Permatex.
(My tubes of that fossilized years ago;))
Jeff[8D]



quote:Originally posted by studebaker-R2-4-me

I have a tube of Ultra Black which I used on my Differential Gasket. I recently purchased a can Permatex Copper Spray Gasket sealer which I was going to use on some paper gaskets. I will be installing my valve covers tomorrow night. What would you recommend to use on the cork impregnated rubber valve cover gaskets. Should I use the Ultra Black or should I spray the gaskets with the Copper Spray and install them. What is the better product to use on the Valve Covers.

1964 GT Hawk soon to be R2 Clone


http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j54/deepnhock/Jeff%20Rice%20Studebaker%20Pictures/1937StudebakerCoupeExpressJeffRicee.jpg

DEEPNHOCK at Gmail.com
Brooklet, Georgia
'37 Coupe Express (never ending project)
'37 Coupe Express Trailer (project)
'61 Hawk (project)
http://community.webshots.com/user/deepnhock