Studebaker Vernon plant in full page ad 12-27-2011

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studebaker Vernon plant in full page ad 12-27-2011

Last week Rick Peterson editor of the Antique Studebaker Review forwarded me this full-page ad that appeared in a local newspaper (near Long Beach, CA) dated December 27, 2011. It was obviously financed by the city of Vernon as a promotional piece. We must congratulate them on their sense of history! Remarkable that Studebaker is still to be found prominently after all these years. I suspect a large number of the readers of the publication have never heard of a Studebaker! Studebaker began assembling cars in Vernon during the 1936 model year and continued through 1956.
    Richard Quinn
    Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

A close-up of the verbiage.
    Richard Quinn
    Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

That is a remarkable display of historical reverence and accuraccy in this day and age. Good on them.

Maybe Rick can contact those responsible for an interesting local story for Antique Studebaker Review. BP
      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Vernon CA--now thinking of the other thread about IM and costs, perhaps a city like Vernon would be a good place to hold an IM. Lots of things relatively close by of historical and other interests for all no matter their age, hobbies, and single mindedness (or lack of single-mindedness, and all points in between) for all things Studebaker, and I bet there would be lots of convention/showcase facilities in the area so the idea of having an IM without necessarily having the tyranny of a single 'host hotel' could be explored. If not Vernon per se, we could go 2 for 2 and hold it in Glendale CA <g>. Always wanted myself to go see what La Canada CA was all about <ggg>

Studebaker was always just a bit ahead of their time (I noticed the date of the picture--it usually takes a month for me to get the year right myself, so not a dig, just an observation that I need another cup of coffee)
        Last edited by Jim B PEI; 01-05-2011, 05:27 AM. Reason: date

Comment

Originally posted by Jim B PEI View Post
          Vernon CA--now thinking of the other thread about IM and costs, perhaps a city like Vernon would be a good place to hold an IM. Lots of things relatively close by of historical and other interests for all no matter their age, hobbies, and single mindedness (or lack of single-mindedness, and all points in between) for all things Studebaker, and I bet there would be lots of convention/showcase facilities in the area so the idea of having an IM without necessarily having the tyranny of a single 'host hotel' could be explored. If not Vernon per se, we could go 2 for 2 and hold it in Glendale CA <g>. Always wanted myself to go see what La Canada CA was all about <ggg>

Studebaker was always just a bit ahead of their time (I noticed the date of the picture--it usually takes a month for me to get the year right myself, so not a dig, just an observation that I need another cup of coffee)
          That very idea crossed my mind as well, Jim. There could be a theme display of cars that were assembled at the facility. It could be a win win for all parties if organized and promoted properly. However, being from the east coast, I would most likely enjoy it from reports on this forum and articles in Turning Wheels.
          John Clary
          Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Richard,
            Many thanks for forwarding the photo and article about the Vernon plant. I've always loved history and Studebaker history in particular. I also thank you for your wealth of knowledge about anything that's Studebaker.
            Rog
            '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
            Smithtown,NY
            Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

Originally posted by Jim B PEI View Post
              Vernon CA--now thinking of the other thread about IM and costs, perhaps a city like Vernon would be a good place to hold an IM.
              Are there any hotels near Vernon? I thought Vernon is an 'industrial city' with very few residential properties, if any.

Craig

Comment

Vernon is smack in between South Central LA and East LA, Right next door to the infamous City of Bell thats been in the news recently. The state of California is currently deciding on taking over vernon due to its own corruption scandals.

I have a customer that has a warehouse built upon the old Studebaker plant property. I didnt realize this until I was trying to locate where in Vernon the plant was located.

Nothing that I can see is left of the old plant except a rail spur right next to the LA river.

Its not the best area to hang around much less hold a carshow.

Comment

Originally posted by Cravin View Post
                  Vernon is smack in between South Central LA and East LA, Right next door to the infamous City of Bell thats been in the news recently. The state of California is currently deciding on taking over vernon due to its own corruption scandals.

I have a customer that has a warehouse built upon the old Studebaker plant property. I didnt realize this until I was trying to locate where in Vernon the plant was located.

Nothing that I can see is left of the old plant except a rail spur right next to the LA river.

Its not the best area to hang around much less hold a carshow.
                  Well....it was a fun fantasy while it lasted.
                  John Clary
                  Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Originally posted by jclary View Post
                    Well....it was a fun fantasy while it lasted.
                    Well there is the Farmer John Packing plant and slaughterhouse.... Bacon is allways good!

Comment

Say-- does that time machine only go forward,
                      or can I borrow it to go back about 50 years or so...?

StudeDave '57
                      StudeDave '57
                      US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
                      SDC Member since 1985

past President
                      Whatcom County Chapter SDC
                      San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
                      San Diego Chapter SDC
                      North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment