'48 Champion Starlight trunk floor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '48 Champion Starlight trunk floor

I find that I have a couple quarter sized rust holes in the floor of the trunk. Does anyone make patch panels for the trunk? The holes are in the recessed areas at the rear of the panel. My first inclination is to clean the rust off, paint with POR 15, form small patch panels to cover the areas and epoxy glue them in place.
    Suggestions greatly appreciated. 73, Jim

Good idea. Might I suggest using fibreglas matt and POR15 instead of resin. this will bond the glas to the steel far better than resin.

Comment

For 1948 there was 2 different trunk configurations. The early 48 had a flat trunk and the spare laid down flat. On the later 48 the spare stood up. There is a replacement for the later. But NO replacements for the early. If you have a early try to save it the best you can.

Comment

Thanks fellows. Mine has the spare laying flat. I have seen the type with the spare setting upright. It looks like it would give a lot more area for stowing things. I have not started to do any of the work, just making a list of things that need attention. 73, Jim

Comment

Jim

I don't want to start the debate over POR15/glass mat vs welding but a good answer depends on your skills and desire to maintain originality. If your fab skills are basic then the POR15 will make it last for a time but if it were mine I'd just cut back to good metal and weld in patches. If the areas are as small as you describe, you can probably keep it looking original with some decent grinding and finishing after welding.

Bob

Comment

Working...
          X