Edelbrock 1405 conversion---again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Edelbrock 1405 conversion---again

Finished converting the 54 from a smoke belching, hopeless WCFB to an Edelbrock 1405; should have done this years ago. The goal was do it without machine work on the intake manifold and continue to use the original side mount air cleaner to keep it looking as original as possible. Continued use of the air cleaner was accomplished, but the intake had to go to the shop for machine work and, to compensate for the difference in air horn diameter, a larger flange was fabricated for the underside of the original air cleaner. All this is left is to get the Edelbrock sticker off the carb. Thanks again for all the help. Ken, Deltaville, V

When you are finished, we will need pictures!!
    Carey
    Packard Hawk

Comment

Yes pics would be nice.
      sigpic He's got the "car"...now if I can only get the Matchboxes back!

Comment

Originally posted by ken-renda View Post
        Finished converting the 54 from a smoke belching, hopeless WCFB to an Edelbrock 1405; should have done this years ago.
        Another satisfied customer. Make sure to give the WCFB a proper burial.

Tom
        '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
        Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
        http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
        I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

Originally posted by ken-renda View Post
          Finished converting the 54 from a smoke belching, hopeless WCFB to an Edelbrock 1405; should have done this years ago. The goal was do it without machine work on the intake manifold and continue to use the original side mount air cleaner to keep it looking as original as possible. Continued use of the air cleaner was accomplished, but the intake had to go to the shop for machine work and, to compensate for the difference in air horn diameter, a larger flange was fabricated for the underside of the original air cleaner. All this is left is to get the Edelbrock sticker off the carb. Thanks again for all the help. Ken, Deltaville, V
          Exactly what "Machine Work" was required to the intake manifold? And we are talking putting this 1405 on an original 4bbl manifold for a 289 CID Studebaker motor?
          And was there an aftermarket air filter that wouhave fit under your hood?
          Brian
          Pictures please!
          Brian Woods
          woodysrods@shaw.ca
          1946 M Series (Shop Truck)

Comment

The Edelbrock has the "butterflies" in different spots than the WCFB. The holes need
            to be opened up for the rears, and the fronts are too far apart if memory serves.

Tom
            '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
            Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
            http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
            I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

Picture attached. The butterflies are off-set but that is compensated for by carb riser 8723 which sets the carb up an extra 1/2 inch. Because the Edelbrock airhorn is larger (5 1/8 inch) than the WCFB, had to use a 1 1/2 inch air horn riser 9342 that needed to be ground down to 1 and 1/8 inch on the passenger side and 1 1/4 inch on the driver side to create an slight slope to allow the air cleaner to rest as far down toward the inner fender as possible. Without this slope, the top of the air cleaner would hit the underside of the hood when the hood is fully closed. To compoensate for the air horn size difference a round ring extending out from the original air cleaner as it sits on top of the carb was made. Without this ring, the air cleancer would not seal to the air horn risr ring. The macnine work was simple, the choke heater tube had to the pressed out and the the hole threaded for a plug. And finally, yes there is an air cleaner from Jegs that will fit, but one objective was to stay as original as possible. At the same time, a gas vapor return line back to the gas filler tue was insalled and heat shield installed on gas lines. This was so simple, even a cave man can do it (if he has access to the forum). All parts are Jegs. Ken, Deltaville, Va
              Attached Files

Comment

It looks like there's plenty of clearance, so couldn't you have simply installed a spacer between the carburetor and the intake? It would have saved machining the intake, and there's plenty of spacers in a variety of thicknesses and bore configurations available.

It just seems to have been a simpler way of going.
                Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

To cover the edelbrock logo I cut out the Studebaker tag from a SDC window decal (outside application) & put it right over top.

Comment

Originally posted by Gunslinger View Post
                    It looks like there's plenty of clearance, so couldn't you have simply installed a spacer between the carburetor and the intake? It would have saved machining the intake, and there's plenty of spacers in a variety of thicknesses and bore configurations available.

It just seems to have been a simpler way of going.
                    To keep the original air cleaner, a spacer is needed above and below the edelbrock, there is plenty of clearnace immediately above the air cleaner AT THE CARB but little to no clearance where the air cleaner rests on top of the inner fender, that's the point at which it will force the hood up if not placed as low as possible. The original air filter will not fit directly onto the top of the edelbrock because of the air horn diameter difference, hence the riser is needed to make the transition. But that riser has to have a slight slope to it so as to keep the fender end of the air cleaner from raising up
                    Last edited by ken-renda; 01-03-2011, 09:37 AM.

Comment

I think you did a great job!

I post on other forums about E-carb problems so I hope you have a good one there.
                      Jeff
                      sigpic He's got the "car"...now if I can only get the Matchboxes back!

Comment

Working...
                      X