Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 25 years ago today - a quiz with a Studebaker connection

25 years ago today - a quiz with a Studebaker connection

What unfortunate event occurred on this day (December 31, 1985) that has a minor, but interesting, Studebaker connection. The first person with the correct answer will win the undying admiration of absolutely no one. However, depending upon your level of egotism, it might help you enter the year 2011 with an awe-inspiring feeling of superiority!
    Richard Quinn
    Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Originally posted by Studebaker Wheel View Post
    25 years ago today - a quiz with a Studebaker connection

What unfortunate event occurred on this day (December 31, 1985) that has a minor, but interesting, Studebaker connection. The first person with the correct answer will win the undying admiration of absolutely no one. However, depending upon your level of egotism, it might help you enter the year 2011 with an awe-inspiring feeling of superiority!
    Rick Nelson died in plane crash.
    Bob Langer
    Glenshaw,PA

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Langer View Post
      Rick Nelson died in plane crash.
      OK Bob, feeling smug? Well that was only the warm-up what was the Studebaker connection?
      Richard Quinn

Comment

OK Bob, feeling smug? Well that was only the warm-up what was the Studebaker connection?
        At one time he owned an Avanti.
        Bob Langer
        Glenshaw,PA

Comment

Well, none of the Avanti enthusiasts gets to go into 2011 with an overinflated ego!

Ricky Nelson purchased his new Avanti in November 1962 from Coventry Motors at 9334 Wilshire Blvd. in Beverly Hills California. It as serial number 63R 1431. Avanti Gold with black vinyl trim with automatic, ps, electric windows and air conditioning etc.
          Last edited by Studebaker Wheel; 01-01-2011, 02:51 PM.
          Richard Quinn

Comment

Did he own 2.
            I ask as other websites state he owned R1607.
            pb

Comment

There's also the possibility that the DC3 in which he died could have been powered by a Studebaker.

Comment

Well, none of the Avanti enthusiasts gets to go into 2011 with an overinflated ego!

Ricky Nelson purchased his new Avanti in November 1962 from Coventry Motors at 9334 Wilshire Blvd. in Beverly Hills California. It as serial number 63R 1431. Avanti Gold with black vinyl trim with automatic, ps, electric windows and air conditioning etc. The last I knew of the car it was owned by AOAI member Neil Lipes in Redford, Michigan. Now you know "the rest of the story!"
                Neil Lipes does not seem like a common name to me. Is this the same guy that now owns a 1964 R2 and lives in NYC? If so, he has been on this Forum with various aliases.
                Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                  Neil Lipes does not seem like a common name to me. Is this the same guy that now owns a 1964 R2 and lives in NYC? If so, he has been on this Forum with various aliases.
                  You are correct. Neil owned another Avanti that I did a price sticker for. I have revised the earlier post and eliminated his name. Thanks for the correction.
                  Richard Quinn

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                    Hmmm, I think I know that name Gary. Now where could I have heard it?
                    Chip
                    '63 Cruiser
                    '57 Packard wagon
                    '61 Lark Regal 4 dr wagon
                    '50 Commander 4 dr sedan

Comment

Originally posted by StudHawk60 View Post
                      There's also the possibility that the DC3 in which he died could have been powered by a Studebaker.
                      Nope, the DC-3 that crashed, N711Y was Pratt & Whitney powered. The Studebaker license-built Wright engines only will work on a B-17, because they are turbo-charged. Wright powered DC-3s have superchargers, a completely different set-up. Russ Farris
                      1963 GT Hawk R-2 4-speed
                      1964 Avanti R-1 Auto

Comment

When I die, may it be Studebaker power, a ball of flames, no more than ten feet off the ground thanks.............. someone can sell pictures of it later

Comment

David Nelson died Tuesday.

Tributes.com is the online source for current local and national obituary news. We believe that Every Life has a Story which should be told and preserved.
                          "Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional." author unknown

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Bryant View Post
                            David Nelson died Tuesday.

http://www.tributes.com/show/90517818
                            'Sorry to read that, Bob. Worthwhile Hollywood icons are dying faster than they are being replaced. BP
                            We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Originally posted by maxpower1954 View Post
                              Nope, the DC-3 that crashed, N711Y was Pratt & Whitney powered. The Studebaker license-built Wright engines only will work on a B-17, because they are turbo-charged. Wright powered DC-3s have superchargers, a completely different set-up. Russ Farris
                              Actually, DC-3s can have Studebaker built engines. The DC-3 we restored here at Delta Airlines has one Studebaker on it. I have seen this with my own eyes. During the resto, someone in charge decided that both engine tags should match, so the Stude one got a replacement I.D. tag. I was trying like he!! to get that tag, but some muckety-muck decided that he deserved it more than someone who actually worked on the airplane.

Comment

Working...
                              X