PDA

View Full Version : ignition switch in hawk

studelover
05-01-2007, 07:29 PM
How do I get the ignition switch out of my 1961 hawk? I was toying around with the other dash I have and this spring pop out and the switch was on the floor I think I broke the retainer. It must have been half disassembled because I don't have enough parts to put it back in.

Studebakers forever!

skyway
05-03-2007, 01:24 PM
The ign switch has two dogs on its sides that lock into hooks on the backside of the bezel with a push and twist(not unlike tail/brake light bulbs). The big coiled spring provides the tension to keep the switch and bezel locked together.

Note that the original bezels are potmetal which WILL eventually fatigue and break. The risk then is that the hot wires on the backside of the switch will short across any grounded metal they may come into contact with. Not Good... especially with fiberglass dash boards!

I think Studebaler International or others sell a machined bezel that should not break. Also not a bad idea to put some electrical tape over those hot posts.

Hope this helps.

studelover
05-03-2007, 07:44 PM
thanks skyway, the bezel broke that's why it seems that I don't hasve enough parts will call to find a replacement tomorrow!

Studebakers forever!

rockne10
05-03-2007, 09:44 PM
I think there should also be a nylon collar/spacer to keep it fitting tight.