69.000 R2 Avanti about done

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 69.000 R2 Avanti about done

Should be on ebay shortly, here are some pics.

First draft of the ebay write up:

Last edited by JDP; 12-29-2010, 07:30 PM.
    JDP Maryland

That Avanti jacket is the second one of those I've ever seen! I have the first I ever saw...bought it at the South Bend factory in '86. It's only been worn a couple of times as I "expanded" over the years! Just never have wanted to get rid of it...my wife might wear it occasionally at a car show if I ask her, but the sleeves are much too long for her.

Nice to see another one of them.
    Last edited by Gunslinger; 12-30-2010, 07:41 AM.
    Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

The first owner bought it many years ago when he had some work done at the Avanti II plant. We have pictures from the 70's of his visit.
      JDP Maryland

Comment

JP, The pictures are from the 80s... lets get it right, eh?
        sals54

Comment

JP,
          Nice looking Avanti, and another great listing! The listing refers to your friend (Sal's) comments below, but either they are not there or not identified as such.

Comment

I know what you mean, but the part about the super charger being 100 cubic inches is not exactly ....

Comment

Yep, I'll add them when Sal sends them. I'll go live tommorow.
              JDP Maryland

Comment

Nice listing as always, with one glaring error: I note you wrote "a interior". ANY time a word begins with a vowel it is preceded by "an", as in "an interior". If it starts with a consonant, it is preceded by "a". If you say it aloud and listen, you can hear it's wrong. An apple, an egg, an Avanti, an English nazi; a car, a listing, a high price, a bidding war. See?

Of course, it's not a big crime or anything; it's just a little off-putting in an ad for a high-dollar car.

Will be interesting watching it, this time of year in particular.
                Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
                Romans 15:13
                Deuteronomy 31:6
                Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

I'm asking this for my own referance, not in critiquing your ad draft. I thought the R3 Avanti was the fastest production car, not the R2; with the R3s top speed 168 mph. Did I get the stuff mixed up again?
                  Dylan Wills
                  Everett, Wa.

1961 Lark 4 door wagon
                  1961 Lark 4 door wagon #2 (Wife's car!)
                  1955 VW Beetle (Went to the dark side)
                  1914 Ford Model T

Comment

Originally posted by silverhawk View Post
                    I'm asking this for my own referance, not in critiquing your ad draft. I thought the R3 Avanti was the fastest production car, not the R2; with the R3s top speed 168 mph. Did I get the stuff mixed up again?
                    The Car and Driver quote with a obvious ET typo that was the source of the longer quote I used.

"A crew from Studebaker took an R-2 out to Nevada for speed tests and ran a standing to a quarter mile in 60.8 seconds, hitting 107.10 mi. per hour with a 3.31-to-one axle ratio, making it indisputably the fastest genuine production car in America, if not the world."

No question the R3 was faster both in the 1/4 and top end, but a R2 could still do 150 MPH, not sure of any other US cars that could do that in 1962.
                    JDP Maryland

Comment

Ok, thanks for the correction! I'm always standing up for Studebaker among Big 3 friends, so I greatly appreciate it
                      Dylan Wills
                      Everett, Wa.

1961 Lark 4 door wagon
                      1961 Lark 4 door wagon #2 (Wife's car!)
                      1955 VW Beetle (Went to the dark side)
                      1914 Ford Model T

Comment

Working...
                      X