Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Avanti Supercharger - what would you do? Clumsy mechanic asks...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Avanti Supercharger - what would you do? Clumsy mechanic asks...

All-

I'll start by admitting that the clumsy mechanic is me. I dropped my Supercharger less than 6 inches onto the garage floor, it landed on one of its case screws and snapped the head clean off. (Don't ask.) see photo attached.

Using the proper sized drill bit, I drilled the old screw out on my drill press. So far so good. But then, with epic carelessness I compounded the problem by snapping off the tap in the hole when attempting to re-thread. (Again, don't ask).

I know the right thing to do is take it all apart and fix it properly, but I am just asking-- with one screw missing like this-- am I OK or am I looking for trouble? I really did not want to take the case apart, there is nothing else wrong with it and I am afraid that bad luck will come to me in threes.

Opinions welcome.
    Attached Files

You need to find a good machine shop.

Comment

Looks like it's time for a tap extractor.
      Jim
      Often in error, never in doubt
      http://rabidsnailracing.blogspot.com/

____1966 Avanti II RQA 0088_______________1963 Avanti R2 63R3152____________http://rabidsnailracing.blogspot.com/

Comment

IIRC, those go all the way through the 2 halves. If so, drill it out, and use a screw extractor as previously stated. it should be easy, Those bolts are "usually" not that tight. You might even get lucky, if there is enough sticking out once the back cover is removed, to be able to grab whats left with vise grips.

Jim
        "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
        their Memorials!

Comment

Put the supercharger down and back slowly away from the workbench, hands in the air!

1. Yes, it's aluminum, but no, I've had less than a 50% success rate with the tap extractors I've used. Aluminum is soft, thus gummy and will hold a tap sometimes tighter than will cast iron.
          2. The only way to know if it is going to leak because of a missing screw is to run it and see. Before installation, have someone else competent check all the remaining screws are equally tight.
          3. If you do decide to run it as is CASO-style, I'd smear a light coat of silicone sealer at the broken area as an indicator. This will stay tight if it doesn't leak, get blown out if it does.
          4. Bottom line, given your success rate thus far, do you really want to be handling the supercharger twice more on installs and removing it once more if it should leak? I'd fix it now.

jack vines
          PackardV8

Comment

I think you are best opening it up, take your time, might even replace those "blade"
            style screws with some socket head cap screws so you can properly torque them.
            You may be able to carefully heat the area with a torch to expand the aluminum a
            tad so it lets go of the steel tap. Why were you using a tap? Were there some of
            the threads left in the hole?? Its best I work those out with a screwdriver or object
            like a pick.

Tom
            '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
            Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
            http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
            I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

Take it all apart, fix it right, clean it up and repaint it. Install it knowing it's right and that you did a good job.

Comment

Thank you---

I decided I could not live with it broken. The aluminum did indeed hold the broken screw and tap like a sticky vice. Checking the exploded parts diagram, I saw that the back plate does not cover a myriad of parts that would spring out if I disassembled it. That was a relief.

I found that taking the cover off left me with enough of a nub to get the vice grips on and twist it out. I Re-tapped the hole and we are good to go.

Thank you for your opinions and suggestions. I like the one about changing the screws to better fasteners that can be properly torqued, and I will do this before I put it back in.

I will definitely be more careful next time! As always, thank you to all of you who took the time to answer.

Bill

Comment

fOR SAFERTY SAKE WORK ON IT IN THE CENTER OF A KING SIZE BED.

Comment

Originally posted by Retired View Post
                    FOR SAFETY SAKE WORK ON IT IN THE CENTER OF A KING SIZE BED.
                    Some amateur comedian in the group has just got to pick up on that statement....what a lead...<GGG>
                    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Originally posted by Retired View Post
                      fOR SAFETY SAKE WORK ON IT IN THE CENTER OF A KING SIZE BED.
                      Thatswhatshesaid.
                      Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
                      Romans 15:13
                      Deuteronomy 31:6
                      Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Working...
                      X