From the Archives #71 Champ truck in 1961 film

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• From the Archives #71 Champ truck in 1961 film

Cannot believe this film ever broke any box office records. Anyone ever heard of it? I wonder if the name in the title is connected to the Champ truck? Must have been a pretty new truck at the time since the film was released in 1961. The only notable name in the cast is Ben Johnson. I liked him. He played a good Melvin Purvis in the 1973 film "Dillinger." Candy Moore had a short career in film and television and started playing in "Leave it to Beaver." http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0055533/
    Richard Quinn
    Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Originally posted by Studebaker Wheel View Post
    http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/e...g?t=1293440025

Cannot believe this film ever broke any box office records. Anyone ever heard of it? I wonder if the name in the title is connected to the Champ truck? Must have been a pretty new truck at the time since the film was released in 1961. The only notable name in the cast is Ben Johnson. I liked him. He played a good Melvin Purvis in the 1973 film "Dillinger." Candy Moore had a short career in film and television and started playing in "Leave it to Beaver." http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0055533/
    Interesting, thanks for posting, Richard! Jesse White is a notable actor; he was the "Maytag Repairman" for many years!
    Bill Pressler
    Kent, OH
    (formerly Greenville, PA)
    Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
    Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
    1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
    1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
    All are in Australia now

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Pressler View Post
      Interesting, thanks for posting, Richard! Jesse White is a notable actor; he was the "Maytag Repairman" for many years!
      Jesse White also played in the original "Harvey" movie with Jimmy Stewart. A small part though.
      sigpic
      55 President Deluxe
      64 Commander
      66 Cruiser

37 Oldsmobile F37 4 Door

Comment

Dick: Don't those Texas license plates say 1959?

Perhaps that was the year they were issued, and would require stickers for later use. If not, and it was during calendar year 1959 in which the plate was issued, that would have been one the earliest-production Champs ever, no? BP
        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Tomboy and The Champ in color

Cannot believe this film ever broke any box office records. Anyone ever heard of it? I wonder if the name in the title is connected to the Champ truck?
          Here's a link to the movie info, and the same picture in color. The Champ was bovine.

Comment

Candy Moore had a short career in film and television and started playing in "Leave it to Beaver.
            Candy Moore bio on everything Lucy

Comment

The only notable name in the cast is Ben Johnson. I liked him. He played a good Melvin Purvis in the 1973 film "Dillinger." Candy Moore had a short career in film and television and started playing in "Leave it to Beaver." http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0055533/
              Ben Johnson was one of my favorite character actors. His career included parts and appearances in over 300 films. He was a constant sidekick to John Wayne and other western stars in many pictures. He was also a champion rodeo calf roper. He also played supporting parts in movie venues other than westerns, most as a good guy and sometimes as a bad guy. He began his movie career as a stuntman and double.

Comment

Amazon has it!
                Jeff DeWitt
                http://carolinastudes.net

Comment

Looks like a 1960 3/4 Ton Champ Deluxe Cab Stakebed. It could easily have been sold in Sept. through Dec. 1959.
                  StudeRich
                  Second Generation Stude Driver,
                  Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                  SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Looks to me like a bunch of STFers just having a good time <g>
                    sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

Per Fred Fox's article in the Feb. '87 Turning Wheels, "...the 1960 Champ models had their premier showing at the 52nd Chicago Auto Show held from January 16th to January 24, 1960".
                      Bill Pressler
                      Kent, OH
                      (formerly Greenville, PA)
                      Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
                      Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
                      1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
                      1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
                      All are in Australia now

Comment

Jeezocriminoly, check out the double-neck guitar!

Comment

Champ Production

Originally posted by Bill Pressler View Post
                          Per Fred Fox's article in the Feb. '87 Turning Wheels, "...the 1960 Champ models had their premier showing at the 52nd Chicago Auto Show held from January 16th to January 24, 1960".
                          You are right on the money Bill... Harold Churchill delayed production on the 1960 Champ and the the Hawk due to the impending steel industry strike (in late 1959)in order to save steel for the Lark models. As Bill said, the debut wasn`t until January 1960 and the first production Champs did not roll off the line until February 1960.
                          Mark Hayden
                          '66 Commander

Comment

The 3 car stars of the movie are a 23 T Touring car, a Corvette and the Red Champ truck. Most of what it was used for is a bandstand for Country and Western singers. The Champ is a Champion Bull. A lot of old cars, will drive you nuts looking at them all.

Comment

And the News paper delivery man drove a light green Lark wagon.

Comment

Working...
                              X