No announcement yet.

1946 Skyway Coupe Restoration - this is my first Studebaker off the frame resto

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1946 Skyway Coupe Restoration - this is my first Studebaker off the frame resto

I need solid floorpans for both front (near the kickboards L&R), backseat area and trunk near the bumper. Also, a possible parts car that would provide the extras, like a deck lid handle. This car has a 1960 Lark 6 cyl. engine - does anyone know of a rebuild-able '46 6 cyl. motor? Any suggestions as to whereabouts? Thanks

Champion, Commander, or President? I am assuming that with a Lark 6 it is a Champion. Do you have a true coupe or a coupe sedan? Many trim and body parts are different between the two. I have a somewhat ptted trunk handle for a '41 but I think the '46 is different. Very rough 39-46 Champions show up on e-Bay all the time but most are rusted in the same areas as yours. Good for other parts though! As far as I know nobody is making sheet metal for these so you probably get to fabricate the parts yourself.

Nathan

Comment

If memory serves, all 46 production were Champions.
      Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
      50 Champion 2 door*
      53 Commander K Auto*
      53 Commander K overdrive*
      55 President Speedster
      62 GT 4Speed*
      63 Avanti R1*
      64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

Comment

dON IS CORREECT AL '46S WERE cHAMPIONS ALL TRIMED OUT AS sKYWAY MODELS. cOUPE, 2 AND 4 DOOR SEDANS. wARMED OVER '42'S. tHO THEY DID NOT MAKE A 42 sKYWAY cHAMPION. tHE MOTOR WAS IN PRODUCTION FOR THE WEASEL SO IT WAS AVAILABLE. DID YOU KNOW THAT sTUDEBAKER DEALERS COULD GET AND SELL '42 MODEL CARS IN 47-48?

Comment

Wouldn't the '46 Champion 170 and the '60 Lark 170 be the same engine? Would there be an advantage to installing an identical engine, unless it were number matching?
          Brad Johnson,
          SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
          '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
          '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Yes, it is a Champion coupe, but I'm not sure what the dif is,explain? I would call it a business coupe..it has a back seat but cab is short. The motor has some exterior differences, for instance, the way I understand, the oil filler tube is behind the distr on the '46 and in front of the distr on the Lark. The interior motor has main bearing journal-size differences...the larger being on the Lark, which isn't an issue. The '46 motor had Babbit rod bearings and the Lark has insert type-far better I say. Thanks for the responses guys..my first tim is successful...I will be looking on Ebay for possible parts car.

Comment

I guess I never realized only Champions were built in 46. That explains my service manual saying "and 5G Skyway Champion" on it. It sounds like a coupe. The sedan coupe or club sedan used a sedan-style trunk and a longer passenger compartment to provide actual rear seat leg room. The coupe is a little tight back there. Click here for a picture.

I would not let the babbit rods scare you. If they are good they work fine. If not you can retrofit new insert-style rods for less than re-babitting would cost. Champion engines are not much for power but they are rugged, reliable, and easy to work on. If you find a donor engine it should be rebuildable. Unless you want a show car most people will never notice the differences.

If you don't have them get the parts books and service manual. They are a huge help. And please post some picutres!

Comment

Working...
              X